Lawrence Welk Bone Section

Discuss the people that make the music here.
officermayo

Lawrence Welk Bone Section

Post by officermayo »

A-one-an-a-two.....
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
hyperbolica

Re: Lawrence Welk Bone Section

Post by hyperbolica »

You don't hear vibrato like that anymore... I watched a lot of LW as a kid. Very interesting to see it again as an adult. Thanks for posting this!
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

So clean! Love it!
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Interesting that the lead player has the darkest sound. They all sound wonderful though.
although

Post by although »

Looks like four small bore straight horns to me. I dig it!
GGJazz

Post by GGJazz »

Hi all.

I love this trbn section madly !
Maybe I had listen 50 times to this video , as well as " Little Girl" ( with Pete Lofthouse , then replaced by Don Staples) , and others .

Personally , Don Staples ( who is playng the second eigth bars of the melody ) get me crazy about his tone and his way of phrasing . Of course , ALL these players are marvellous musicians !

Regards
Giancarlo
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

I’m not sure who the lead player is on this performance. The player to Bob Haven’s right was previously the lead player. At some point he stepped down and started playing what looks to be third. They’re all good players. Bob Havens got his chops in New Orleans.

After several months of pondering, I finally got the “Void where prohibited in the MSgt Mayo’s signature tag. Keep that up and Chesty is going to get jealous.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Mmmm. Love it. This is a style of playing lost to the ages.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

although wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:39 am Looks like four small bore straight horns to me. I dig it!
If you look in the background at the far right, you can just make out a trombone on a stand. I figure one of the four (Barney Liddell?) played bass trombone when necessary.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

OneTon wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:52 am After several months of pondering, I finally got the “Void where prohibited" in the MSgt Mayo’s signature tag. Keep that up and Chesty is going to get jealous.
I served in The Corps after my father had retired. He used to rag me about not being a REAL Marine since I'd never been busted (he, on the other hand, made Buck Sgt THREE TIMES). Well, towards the end of my career while serving as a Drill Instructor I DID get busted. Called up the Old Man and said, "I'M A REAL BOY NOW, GEPPETTO!!!". :-)
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

officermayo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:42 pm
I served in The Corps after my father had retired. He used to rag me about not being a REAL Marine since I'd never been busted (he, on the other hand, made Buck Sgt THREE TIMES).
I only made Buck Sgt once. Never got busted. Then USAF eliminated the rank. :idk:
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

GGJazz wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:44 am Personally , Don Staples ( who is playng the second eigth bars of the melody ) get me crazy about his tone and his way of phrasing . Of course , ALL these players are marvellous musicians !
Yeah, there's some of that Dick Nash ability to be very free without getting sloppy

Return to “Musicians”