Instrument Innovations screw in leadpipe conversion

hyperbolica

Instrument Innovations screw in leadpipe conversion

Post by hyperbolica »

I don't trust my local shops to get this right, so I want to set them up to be able to do this.

I ordered an Instrument Innovations Conn/Greenhoe leadpipe ring for when they remove my existing bass bone leadpipe.

And then I ordered a .684 Bach Bi-thread adapter for them to solder onto the receiver of my horn.

Problem is, the threaded ring doesn't thread into the adapter.
What should I be ordering to make this work? I have several threaded leadpipes already, Conn, Shires, etc... Any advice?

edit: changed MK to Instrument Innovations
Last edited by hyperbolica on Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
muschem

Re: MK screw in leadpipe conversion

Post by muschem »

I get MK Drawing and Instrument Innovations confused a lot, as I've worked with both for different things. I think you mean the latter here, and the Olsens provide great support in my experience, but it may take a bit to get a response in email.

I think you mean this part for the bi-thread solder-on conversion: https://instrumentinnovations.com/bach- ... -684-bore/. That should work with either Getzen/Edwards or Shires threaded collars. My understanding is that Conn/Greenhoe have the same fine thread pitch as Edwards/Getzen, but a different diameter. The Conn is, I believe, the bigger of the two, so Edwards collars would thread into Conn receivers, but might be "loose", while the reverse won't work (i.e. Conn/Greenhoe are too big to thread into Edwards/Getzen receivers).

You should be able to use either a Shires nut (https://instrumentinnovations.com/shires-leadpipe-nut/), or an Edwards nut (https://instrumentinnovations.com/getzen-leadpipe-nut/) fine with a bi-thread receiver. Or, the bi-thread leadpipe nut (https://instrumentinnovations.com/getze ... dpipe-nut/) would probably also work in the bi-thread receiver, and gives the flexibility to use the same leadpipe in either Getzen/Edwards or Shires slides that don't have a bi-thread receiver.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
hyperbolica

Re: Instrument Innovations screw in leadpipe conversion

Post by hyperbolica »

muschem wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:11 pm I get MK Drawing and Instrument Innovations confused a lot, as I've worked with both for different things. I think you mean the latter here, and the Olsens provide great support in my experience, but it may take a bit to get a response in email.
Yeah, that's embarassing. I meant Instrument Innovations. Mike picked up the phone right away and got me straightened out.

Ok, for those who are as confused as I am (was), here's the deal with leadpipe threads.

There are two diameters of pipe threads (large and small), and two pitches (fine and coarse). One conversion nut for each diameter. If you put the large diameter conversion nut on your horn, you can use the receiver adapter to accept the smaller diameter threads.

Inst. Innovations has 3 pieces of kit in a couple of versions:
1) conversion nut - female solder-on piece to add threads to a non-threaded receiver. Comes in 2 ID sizes
2) leadpipe nut - male solder-on piece to add threads to a non-threaded leadpipe. Comes in 2 ODs and 2 threads - 4 versions total
3) slide receiver adapter - male screw-in piece that converts from large diameter ([Conn/Greenhoe and Bach] or [Rath] receiver side threads) to small diameter ( Getzen and Shires leadpipe side threads)

So to convert my Conn 83h non-threaded horn to accept any threads, I need:
A) Large diameter conversion nut (Bach, 0.628") <<<==== to solder on to my horn. This will accept Conn and Bach leadpipes.
B) Getzen/Shires BiThread Leadpipe Nut <<<==== to solder on to the leadpipe removed from my 83h
C) Conn ID BiThread Slide Receiver <<<==== to screw in to the conversion nut to allow the Bach/Conn nut to accept Getzen/Shires threads

potentially I could need:
D) Rath ID BiThread Slide Receiver Adapter <<<==== to screw in to the conversion nut to accept Rath threaded pipes

The conversion nut and the receiver adapter each adds 1/4" to your receiver. So if you have both, you add 1/2" to your horn.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

If it was me, I would use their standard Bi-Thread receiver, and change the threaded collar on any Conn-thread or Rath-thread pipes to either fine (Getzen) or coarse (Shires). Adding in the adapter adds length to the horn, moving the entire instrument further away from you (bell position, hand position and all slide positions) Swapping a collar on a pipe is easy, and there really is no advantage to using the Conn threads.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
blast

Post by blast »

And so they invented the press- fit pipe. Ha !!
Leadpipes are sensitive to how much they project out of the instrument...another ingredient in the mix.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

blast wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:33 pm And so they invented the press- fit pipe. Ha !!
Leadpipes are sensitive to how much they project out of the instrument...another ingredient in the mix.
I'm starting to agree. Everything is simpler and cheaper if you go push-in pipes. And if loose, some teflon tape takes care of that.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

I tend to believe that the pipe needs a "solid" connection to the horn, though. It may be imagined, but having played taped, press-fit pipes, I felt the response to be less defined. Threaded pipes are the best compromise, with soldered in pipes being the best option. IMO
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006

Return to “Modification & Repair”