Mouthpiece Guidance?

nycowboy04

Mouthpiece Guidance?

Post by nycowboy04 »

I am currently using the default mouthpiece that came with my horn (12c). 20 years ago when I was playing regularly I was using a 5g playing first chair parts (yes, I know how that sounds. In my defense, I was a dumb teen).

Since getting back into it, and practicing regularly, I'm realizing that I really really don't like my mouthpiece. I don't have the range/tone I want (particularly in the upper registers).

I know that the best thing to do is to try them out and get the best one for me, but don't know how/where to go about doing that in the NYC area. Or should I just roll the dice on something online?

The one that currently has my eye is the UMI christian Lindbergh 5CL, but not sure if I"m just talking out of my rear end
BGuttman

Re: Mouthpiece Guidance?

Post by BGuttman »

Short of getting a lesson with Doug Elliott, you may be stuck with a "buy and try" with a couple of months on each mouthpiece. Note that while I have great admiration for Doug's analytic powers, you may not even be at a point where he can give you a perfect recommendation right off the bat.

Since you are in the NYC area you should be able to find a Sam Ash music store to try a couple of mouthpieces in-store. Or a trip to Dillon Music in Iselin, NJ.

I'm not surprised you find the 12C too small; many of us do. Most players like rims in the Bach number 4 to 7 (roughly 1.02" to 1.00"; also corresponding to Schilke/Yamaha numbers from 52 to 48). The Lindberg 5CL is in this range, but there are lower cost alternatives: Faxx offers 6½AL and 5GS copies; Yamaha offers 48, 51, and 52 sizes; Bach offers 7C, 6½AL, and 5GS. You may find used mouthpieces even cheaper -- when I was a kid there was a music store with used mouthpieces for 1/4 the price of new ones.

Good luck.

For the record, I have a Lindberg 4CL which I use occasionally.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

nycowboy04 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:28 pm a 5g playing first chair parts (yes, I know how that sounds. In my defense, I was a dumb teen).
Not dumb, if we're talking orchestras and concert bands.
chouston3

Post by chouston3 »

What horn are you playing?

I like the mouthpiece to fit both me and the horn.
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

nycowboy04's profile wrote: Stable:
I have a BAC San Francisco Artist series horn with a 12c mouth piece
A horn like that (.547, 8.5 inch bell) pairs well with your old 5G. I'd be astonished if BAC shipped it with a 12c.
nycowboy04

Post by nycowboy04 »

The mouthpiece was part of the package from Sam Ash when I bought it. I think it was their add-on, not BAC but wouldn't swear to it
nycowboy04

Post by nycowboy04 »

chouston3 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:32 pm What horn are you playing?

I like the mouthpiece to fit both me and the horn.
It's a BAC San Francisco Artist series
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

How would you describe that horn?
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
nycowboy04

Post by nycowboy04 »

physically, it's open wrap, rotor valve. large bore. In terms of air flow, it's pretty free-flowing, certainly compared to the Holton I used to play in HS 20+ years ago. Reasonably rich sound for an inexpensive (relatively speaking) horn.
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

I'd just grab a Faxx 5G, and play that for a year, or until you get back in the swing of things. Your high range will suffer, but that's okay. It'll come back.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Maybe a Faxx 6 and 1/2?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

BAC sent a large shank 12C with their large bore trombone?

For real?

FWIW, the 5CL you're thinking about is OK, if the rim diameter and shape fits your face. It's similar to a 6.5 AL with a very linear backbore. It's longer than a regular mouthpiece and goes further into the receiver, which might be why it plays bigger than expected. So it plays with a deeper sound than you would think, but that thing is designed to be played in a pretty aggressive way. Not exactly mainstream.
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

Yeah, a 12C is definitely the wrong size for a large bore horn. The cup and backbore are much too small. Find a Bach or Faxx 5G and play that for a while until you get used to playing again.

Dillon Music is probably the best place to try mouthpieces if you live in NYC. If you do go to Dillon they don't allow walk-ins anymore, so go online and make an appointment. I hear good things about J Landress Brass too
nycowboy04

Post by nycowboy04 »

Yup already scheduled an appointment when spring break hits in a couple of weeks.
trombonegordita

Post by trombonegordita »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:52 am How would you describe that horn?
Hi Doug, are you still doing Mouthpiece consultations?

Return to “Mouthpieces”