Embouchure Injury

How and what to teach and learn.
iglazan

Embouchure Injury

Post by iglazan »

Hi everyone!

I'm a commercial trombonist based in NYC, and about 6 months ago, I had someone run into my horn on a gig, causing an injury to my inner lip right where the right side of the mouthpiece rim sits. Since then, my embouchure has been suffering, causing me to use more pressure and damaging other parts of my lip, mainly the left side of where the rim sits on my lip.

After silently trolling the forums for information, I've seen that everyone tends to recommend getting a lesson with Doug Elliot. I already reached out to him on Facebook, but figured I'd post here also to increase my chances of getting in contact! And, of course, I'd love to hear any and all advice you might have! Willing to give more info on my situation if needed.

Looking forward to hearing from you all!
Pezza

Re: Embouchure Injury

Post by Pezza »

I sustained an injury to my lower lip, resulting in permanent damage. I've found that wedge mouthpieces help, as they take the pressure away from the damaged area.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

iglazan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:30 pm
After silently trolling the forums for information, I've seen that everyone tends to recommend getting a lesson with Doug Elliot. I already reached out to him on Facebook, but figured I'd post here also to increase my chances of getting in contact!
email him at [email protected]
Last edited by MTbassbone on Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Replying now on Facebook
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

MTbassbone wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:18 pm
iglazan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:30 pm
After silently trolling the forums for information, I've seen that everyone tends to recommend getting a lesson with Doug Elliot. I already reached out to him on Facebook, but figured I'd post here also to increase my chances of getting in contact!
Or better yet at DEmou[email protected]
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

Posaunus wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:52 am
MTbassbone wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:18 pm

Or better yet at DEmou[email protected]
fixed it thanks for catching that
iglazan

Post by iglazan »

Pezza wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:07 pm I sustained an injury to my lower lip, resulting in permanent damage. I've found that wedge mouthpieces help, as they take the pressure away from the damaged area.
I have tried one Wedge mouthpiece but found that it wasn't for me, maybe I needed to try another size. Will consider revisiting, thanks.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”