Henry Mancini's trombone player on "Lujon"?

Discuss the people that make the music here.
sdenlinger

Henry Mancini's trombone player on "Lujon"?

Post by sdenlinger »

Does anybody know who played the trombone solo in the studio recording of Lujon? I can't find a Mancini discography which lists the musicians on "Mr. Lucky Goes Latin." That version seems far and away the best one of all the recordings of it on YouTube, even taking YouTube's bad acoustics into account. I'm an intermediate level player, but I've decided to work on that for fun, and I'm curious about where I should play the F before the final middle C. You're on G flat before the F, so it would make sense to go out to 6th for the F and stay there for the C, but I don't like my middle C in 6th, so I'm trying to go to 6th for the F, then come in to 3 for the C, or come in to 1st for the F, then out to 3rd for the C. You get a natural slur from F to C that way, but you have to come in from 5 to 1 for the F. Grateful for any position tips, or info. on the soloist. It's such a beautiful tone.
bitbckt

Re: Henry Mancini's trombone player on "Lujon"?

Post by bitbckt »

Dick Nash was on that album, but the liner notes only specifically say he played baritone. I’d guess it was him, though.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I would say he's definitely playing the F in 6th and the C in 3rd - you can hear a little gliss up to the C.

I also think at the beginning he's playing the first F in 6th and the octave up in 4th, because of the way the next Eb and Db sound like he's coming in 4-3-2. And the octave F in 6th to 4th is a very clean slur that would not sound so clean going 1st to 4th.

At least that's the way I would play it, for those reasons. Position choices matter.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

I'm pretty sure he *is* playing baritone... the "something" between the final F and C sounds valve to me (ghost Ab(ish), open Bb, C), rather than a gliss.

Anyway, on trombone, D natural in 4th in bar 5.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I'll listen again on something better than my phone...
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Yeah, now I definitely hear it on baritone. He just has a vibrato that sounds so close to a slide vibrato, and he's really good at emulating a slide sound on valves - the "gliss" into the last C is just touching on a fingered B. I'm sure that's Dick Nash.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Gotta be. I slowed it down, and you're right (ghosted Bb, clipped valve B).

More DN on valves here, scroll to the bottom: http://www.bonetherapy.org/Bone_Therapy/Dick_Nash.html
sdenlinger

Post by sdenlinger »

Thanks, everyone. I just assumed it was a trombone, because I wasn't imaginative enough to allow for someone playing a baritone in a Mancini-led ensemble, but why not? (The liner notes would have been helpful.) I'm still going to work on it.

Return to “Musicians”