King "Carbon Fiber" Cases

officermayo

King "Carbon Fiber" Cases

Post by officermayo »

Finally pulled the trigger on a brand spankin' new King 2B last year. It came with one of the newer King "carbon fiber" cases. They look cool as all get out and appear to be just the thing to protect a 2B or 3B.

Unfortunately, that hasn't been my experience.

After owning it for a short while I noticed a dent and scratching on the bell. Upon inspection I discovered the slide section with the tenon was making contact with the bell when the case is closed. Usually cases with the securable flap that snaps into place over the slide covers it completely, but not this one. Only a couple of inches of the slide protrude from the flap and that's what damaged my first brand new horn in over 50 years. And before anyone asks - yes, I tried flipping the slide section over so the tenon end was up top. It made no difference, and the cutout section requires it to be the way you see in the second photo.

I have since procured a King case from the 70's (from a fellow Forum member fsgazda) that protects my horn very well and it's impossible for the bell section and slide to come in contact with each other.

I'm so pissed off right now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
Burgerbob

Re: King "Carbon Fiber" Cases

Post by Burgerbob »

Is it the Tone Halo lifting the bell out of the case too much?

I had one of these for a bit, it does fit a 3B/F very well... but it's too large and heavy for my tastes. Right back to my SKB 360.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:02 pm Is it the Tone Halo lifting the bell out of the case too much?

I had one of these for a bit, it does fit a 3B/F very well... but it's too large and heavy for my tastes. Right back to my SKB 360.
No, as the Tone Halo was just put on prior to the photo being taken. The damage was already there.

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

If I'm remembering correctly, a friend of mine had a similar issue with that case. To be fair, he had a lot of issues (mostly cosmetic) with all the new King's he's received from Conn-Selmer, and he's an artist of theirs.

Have you reached out to Conn-Selmer to see about this issue? You might be able to send the bell in to get it fixed.

Not that it's helpful, but I would use a different case going forward.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

I took your advice and called CS. They said warranty work is done through the dealer the horn was purchased from. Called the dealer, and they have no record of the sale. Purchased online so no paper trail.

AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

The Conn Selmer warranty page says:
Conn Selmer Inc. warrants to the original owner-user that its products will be free from defects in material or workmanship. See the following information below to determine what length of time a particular product is warrantied for.
If the problem is a design defect in the case, could they argue it is not covered by their defects in material or workmanship warranty?
officermayo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:21 pm Called the dealer, and they have no record of the sale. Purchased online so no paper trail.
By not keeping those records, the dealer is presumably breaking their commitment to C-S. Report them.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

What? You mean a huge corporation not wanting to own up to a mistake and cover it?

NO WAY!!!!! :-)

ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

What is the TONE HALO? And where did it come from?
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

ssking2b wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:33 pm What is the TONE HALO? And where did it come from?

Return to “Accessories”