Silver Bach 42

pipperz

Silver Bach 42

Post by pipperz »

Anyone have any info on silver Bach 42s? Theres one listed on ebay for a pretty good price, but I haven’t seen any info on a silver plated version of a Bach 42 so I figured I’d ask to get more info before I make a decision.
Burgerbob

Re: Silver Bach 42

Post by Burgerbob »

Not much to say, usually they are former military or marching instruments. Rare option for a "normal" person, though obviously some are out there.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Silver plate has been a standard option on all Bach models for decades. The instrument is not made any differently to a lacquered one, other than being plated, instead of being lacquered.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

I attended a summer academy ten years ago as a student conductor, and ended up being asked to play as well in some of the orchestra concerts because of a last minute trombonist cancellation. I hadn't brought my horn and the festival borrowed an instrument from the host college. It was a silver plated 42C, and it's in my top 3 of all the 42s I've ever tried. It was an absolute joy to get to play that horn for 3 weeks. Don't know how much of it was the silver plate and how much just that it was a fine specimen, but it had a freer blow than the average 42 and a really complex and lively sound with not even a hint of dullness.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Just as there are Lacquered Bach Trumpets, there are Silvered Bach trombones. You just see them less often around the U.S. currently.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
CarlVicVogel

Post by CarlVicVogel »

I have a sliver-plated 42BO. It plays tighter and brighter than my lacquer 42BO. Both built in the 1980's, I attribute it mostly to production variances. I do prefer the silver version for me as the lacquer version is more open and darker.

Your mileage may vary.

Carl
Bach two 42BO's (silver & lacquer)
Bach LT16M (inspired by Bill Watrous)
Holton TR-181 Bass
King 3B
Yamaha 354 Tenor (early production)
Yamaha 321 Euphonium
Conn Baritone (really friggin' old) :lol:
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

Played a bunch of Silber plated Bachs as it is what my employer asks for from time to time. Did not like a single one of them. Nut sure if it is because of the plating or if these were just bad Bachs but I feel like all the cool things about Bach were not happening with these Silber plated horns. Would not recommend.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Just so people know that there is a flip side of the coin……

When I was in my early 20’s, a buddy of mine had a silver-plated Bach 42B. That horn was absolutely phenomenal. I remember that everything felt effortless on it, and it felt very secure in all registers. It was a “Corporation” horn, probably made in the late 1970s.

Of course, the silver plating probably had nothing to do with its playability. It was just a great horn!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Instruments”