Slide lubricant for older/vintage slides

bassboneman69

Slide lubricant for older/vintage slides

Post by bassboneman69 »

Hi all
I am thinking this may be a query posed already.

For older (60’s era) slides is Trombotine a better option than Yammie Sonic Snot?

Asking for a friend 😬

Sam
JLivi

Re: Slide lubricant for older/vintage slides

Post by JLivi »

I usually stick to Yamaha slide lube due to how easy and clean it is to apply. But I pretty much only own vintage horns (except for my bass bone) and I've found that trombotine (or any good cream) works really well.

When I get my horns sonically cleaned, or even clean out the outer slide myself I always apply trombotine first, before I move onto Yamaha. Not sure if it's helpful, but I like the idea of having the cream coat the inside of the outer slide.

I also have two King 3b's and the slide that's in worse condition is better with the cream. The nicer slide is perfectly fine with the Yamaha.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I just use Yamaha on everything.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I think anything will work, so long as the slide is clean, there’s no corrosion, and the tubes are parallel.

Having said that, I use Trombotine as a base for my slides, and sometimes by itself. Older slides might be better with Trombotine. Just experiment.

I converted to UltraPure Alessi Formula from YamaSnot a few years ago. I think it works just a wee bit better. (FWIW UltraPure regular is good for new and tight tolerance slides.)
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Yamaha Slide Lubricant will work on any slide that is in reasonably good condition regardless of age. It is very forgiving and simple to use. Trombotine gets advocated for slides that have issues such as brassing on an inner slide tube. Some people use it as their go to lubricant on all slides. In spite of having been a black belt Ponds Cold Cream user many years ago, my skills have atrophied. If Yamaha Slide Lubricant doesn’t work, I get the slide fixed or get rid of it. Yamaha Slide Lubricant works on my post 1900’s illegitimate 0.460 bore Holton with soldered slide stockings.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

The answer is it depends.

Trombotine definitely works better than anything else on my 1940 Conn 70H that has some chrome wear on the stockings. It also works better on my mid-60s 50B slide that has a little chrome wear but also too much red rot to polish the interior heavily. That slide is in retirement and stored bone dry.

I also have a 50B slide from the mid 70s that works great with Yamaha stuff and a couple from the 80s that also work with Yamaha.
bassboneman69

Post by bassboneman69 »

Luckily both 169 slides I have, currently, have no plating loss.
Gabriel - I am going to do a little experiment to see if Trombotine makes the slides behave better.
Waiting for my 185 slide to return from Mr. Splawn…
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Rapid comfort on all of my old slides.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

IMHO, Trombotine is wonderful for older more "experienced" tubes! I feel it tends to fill in the pocks of corrosion.

But...you DO need to use enough!
I find that most people don't use ENOUGH cream!! Possibly same for yamasnot and/or other lubes!

Remember that you need to coat the entire inner surface of the outer tubes!!
And I also feel like the water bottles that spray a fine mist don't put enough water in large enough drops to make the slide work quickly.
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Eliminating excessive water atomization may be the key to making Trombotine work. In the real bad old days we improvised water bottles, often from these liquid lemon juice plastic containers that were yellow and shaped like lemons. They may have been used for ice tea. They were awkward to stow in a trombone case. The military characterized them as the M1-IWB/L. I also used to apply relatively copious amounts of Ponds Cold Cream to the slide stockings, fill the outer slide half full with water, and work the slide to achieve saturation.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

Having the best ever slide with Reka lubricant on my 1957 King 2BSS, and the best ever on the 1974 Conn 88H with Reka.
tim

Post by tim »

I find on my old 62h that trombone or super slick work the best. Over time the slides tend to get microscopic pits and the cream smoothe the surface of the inner slide.
Tim

"We play a slide bugle"
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

I cleaned up the slide on the 1960s era (?) King 2B that did not do well with Yamaha Slide Lubricant using Dawn dish soap and a snake. I could find no bare brass coming through the inner slide plating. I applied Trombotine to the slide. And it worked. And it didn’t stink. That slide likes
Trombotine and dislikes Yamaha Slide Lubricant. So I apologize for any negative thing that I said about Trombotine.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas

Return to “Maintenance”