Mouthpiece recommendation euphonium

EriKon

Mouthpiece recommendation euphonium

Post by EriKon »

Lately I've been booked for quite a few euphonium gigs. I play an old unmodified Yamaha YEP-321 which did everything I needed so far. My mouthpiece has been a Yamaha 52 for that, which I can make work but also starts to feel a little uncomfortable once I'm on it for longer. I do not dig those rims and as I'm usually on XT104 rims for tenor tb (LB110 for btb) the 52 feels very small. Do you have any recommendations for me to try? And does anyone know which configuration of Doug might work? I feel like he's very busy at the moment and a little harder to reach.
Thanks!
ghmerrill

Re: Mouthpiece recommendation euphonium

Post by ghmerrill »

For my Chinese Yamaha 641 clone I use a DE Euph J cup, J9 shank with a 106 Lexan rim.

That MAY be a bit big for your non-comp 321. This past year I retried a 104 and then tried a 105 rim as well. But the 106 works best for me, even if it requires a bit more embouchure in the high range. With this setup I can play all the way down through the full pedal range. I originally got the horn as something of a "tenor tuba," but this year decided to become a decent euph player. Alas, the success there has not been entirely impressive. But it's not the fault of the mouthpiece or the horn.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

I landed on XT102/J/J8 for mine. I'd go with a J cup, though with an unmodified 321, you'll need a J4 shank. I've heard that converting to large shank receiver is a popular 321 mod, though I don't have first-hand experience.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

AtomicClock wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:51 pm I've heard that converting to large shank is a popular mod, though I don't have first-hand experience.
My impression is that this is often in order to open up the opportunities for mouthpiece selection (some desirable ones not being available in small shank) more than anything else. But I could be wrong.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
NordicTrombone

Post by NordicTrombone »

I would just get a 4 backbore for whatever XT cups you already have. A G or H cup is the deepest I'd use in those. It will be a brighter euphonium sound anyways with the small bell and smaller bore :)
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I have tried several "trombone" mouthpieces in euphonium and haven't liked the result, but some people do. And using the Wick trombone mouthpieces (from size 3 to 5) used to be a common approach -- until the mouthpiece scene exploded.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
NordicTrombone

Post by NordicTrombone »

ghmerrill wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:53 pm I have tried several "trombone" mouthpieces in euphonium and haven't liked the result, but some people do. And using the Wick trombone mouthpieces (from size 3 to 5) used to be a common approach -- until the mouthpiece scene exploded.
Generally I'd agree with you, and my experiences is similar. But the 321 is so much smaller than most compensating euphs in both bore and bell that, at least for me, smaller cups tends to work better.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I use that same mouthpiece with a different ("medium European"?) shank on my Amati oval (rotary) euph. It works okay, but a somewhat smaller one might be better. In full disclosure, I almost never play that instrument. :lol:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I used a Warburton 3B cup and 3 backbore on my Conn 19I Euph. I paired that cup with an ST6 backbore to try in a Yamaha 321. Worked OK but the guy who played the 321 was using a 12C in it (?!).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I also play a Yamaha 321, great horns. I struggled to find the right fit.
I now have 3 that I use regularly. a Denis Wick 4AY with the Tone Booster - which I think was designed with the horn in mind.
a Schilke 51 & 51D
It all depends on the literature and if I`ve had time to prepare on the horn
Doldom

Post by Doldom »

XT I cup (or I-V cup) with I4 or I5 shank..?
I like my setup of LT I-V cup(more V shaped than normal) and I9 shank for my large shank euphonium.
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

It's been over a decade since I spent any appreciable time playing a 321, but for me, an LT I/I-5/LT103 combo worked better than my XT I/I-5/XT103 combo (YMMV)—though, given the smaller bore and bell, if I had to switch back to an 321, I'd be tempted to try an H or a G+ combo—but since you already have an XT cup and rim, I'll second the recommendation to try an I-4 or I-5 shank.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I use a SYM G and G4 in my 321. On larger euphs I have a Euph K/K8. Been meaning to order a K4 and keep forgetting
chouston3

Post by chouston3 »

The euphonium players around me use a Schilke 51D.
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

I use a wedge 3G in large bore euphs, wedge 5G in small bore & baritone.
Most common is a Wick 4ish / Bach 4Gish size.
I've never been a fan of Schilke 51D, don't know any euph players in Australia who use 1.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
RossM

Post by RossM »

Maybe a Schilke 53? That’d be closer to the right rim size, and I find their rims much more comfortable than Yamaha.
The Alliance DC2 or DC3 might be good if they’re available in small shank.
(FWIW Robert Childs played my 321 with a Yamaha 48 once when I was a student, and he still had his characteristic sound, so a huge cup is certainly not necessary.
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

Thanks for all the input! Some update to give: I borrowed a Schilke 51D to try again and it interestingly enough this felt completely off. The Yamaha 52 sounded much better and was much more comfortable. So, for now I ended up ordering an XT I I4 setup from Doug. Will see how this goes.
Euphman06

Post by Euphman06 »

Try the Steven Mead ultra mouthpiece. That's my euph mouthpiece of choice

Return to “Mouthpieces”