Silver Conn 6H

LeoInFL

Silver Conn 6H

Post by LeoInFL »

I had the winning bid this past weekend for a '58 Conn 6H with the optional satin silver plating and gold-wash bell. I'm interested to see how the sound compares to my standard issue '62 6H. I won't know the condition of the slide until it arrives. There's some heavy tarnish and several flat spots on the tuning slide according the photos that were included in the auction listing.

1st impressions to come shortly. I'm attaching 3 pics of the actual horn, plus a page from the '58 Conn Catalog that notes the optional finish. Fyi, the last 3 digits of the s/n have been hidden digitally.

LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-2023)
DaveAshley

Re: Silver Conn 6H

Post by DaveAshley »

Be careful cleaning up that satin finish. You can polish it to a shine, spoiling the satin look. Use something non abrasive that removes tarnish.

(Chances are you already know all of this, but it's worth mentioning!)
LeoInFL

Re: Silver Conn 6H

Post by LeoInFL »

DaveAshley wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:37 pm Be careful cleaning up that satin finish. You can polish it to a shine, spoiling the satin look. Use something non abrasive that removes tarnish.

(Chances are you already know all of this, but it's worth mentioning!)
I've had a couple of vintage Conn's in the past with the satin finish. Typically the only shiny part is around the engraving on the bell. I use Yamaha Silver Polish and have had great results.
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-2023)

Return to “Instruments”