How to select an alto trombone mouthpiece?

PDH

How to select an alto trombone mouthpiece?

Post by PDH »

This may be a stupid question, but what mouthpiece would work with Alto Trombone? I'm currently using Glass Sterling sliver Alto trombone. I've tried a lot of things (Throja, Greg black Alessi, etc.), but I haven't found a suitable mouthpiece yet. So can you give me some tips on choosing a mouthpiece or something?
harrisonreed

Re: How to select an alto trombone mouthpiece?

Post by harrisonreed »

Doug Elliott XT-A or XT-B. Alto shank with matching number, and rim of choice.

I plan to start making my alto mouthpiece designs, too, if you can wait 5 years for me to switch careers 😂. Over the last three years I created three basic models which I'll make in a few rim shapes, and a selection of cup widths. I have one for classical, "high alto" playing, one for playing in a modern section, and one for playing with a very large sound and not getting backed up (but keeping the octaves in tune).
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

I think everyone needs 2 alto mouthpieces (or more), like Harrison alluded to. One is for general playing and one for lighter/brighter playing. I use the same rim and different cups to achieve the effect. You essentially want to be able to steer the sound more towards tenor trombone or more towards trumpet. If you can do that with one mouthpiece, more power to you.

There are really just as many sound concepts and ideas on alto as there are on tenor; we just don’t get to hear them as often as we hear tenor playing. Decide what you want to sound like most of the time and start there. I like a lighter alto sound with a really fat body and a crisp articulation. YMMV.

Some players like to use the same rim as tenor, some don’t (I don’t). To get more towards what you’re looking for, just play some different sizes. You don’t have to shell out for a high-end mouthpiece to find out you like something in the 7C range, or that you like a larger rim on a smaller cup. Use stock options, go to music stores, check for makers in your area, borrow from friends, whatever. Something will get you close to your sound concept, and then you can start tinkering to dial in the specifics. Sound concept must come first, or you’ll be lost.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

When I was playing alto, I used a Lindberg 15. It gave a more trumpety alto sound. I wanted to avoid sounding like a small tenor, because it's easier to sound like a small tenor on a small tenor. It all comes back to why you're playing alto and what you want to sound like, as mentioned already.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I go for a lighter "small tenorish" sound. I let the horn take care of the "lighter" part and use pretty much the same mouthpiece I use on small tenor (C+ cup), with a different backbore I designed for alto to even out the resistance and fix intonation. But some altos play better with my regular small shank #2 backbore.

Last Easter I played alto as the only horn with strings, effectively in a trumpet role, and I used my A cup (pretty shallow) which worked great.

In any case, I use the same rim size as I use on small and large tenor, XT N104. Alto range and endurance is no different than how I normally play on small tenor and I like to keep it comfortable with no transition to a different rim. If you've seen the YouTube video of the Capital Bones with guests, playing Just Friends, I had literally not touched my alto for 6 months and that solo is my first notes on it. No issues.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

An inexpensive starting point might be the Yamaha 48A, the “A” designating “alto”. This is the mpc Yamaha provides with its alto trombones. The rim is about the size of a 6 and 1/2. $50 or so.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I have 2 that I use. I have a Weril .500 bore Alto TIS.
I had Ken Titmus of KTCustommouthpieces take a Bach 7C Megatone and trim some of the weight off
it`s heavier than a standard Bach but lighter than the Megatone. That works very well in an Orchestral setting
The other is one of the Schilke 4.7 Elliott Chazzanov models. Plays lighter
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

I've used a skeletonized Shilke 47b, a Bach 19, and an unmarked NY Bach (would be close in size to about a 25 with a very swallow cup.) FWIW, I've always gravitated towards small mouthpieces on alto, which isn't everyone's cup of tea.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
Doldom

Post by Doldom »

Doug elliott MT or LT or XT series with appropriate rim and B or C cup and appropriate shank (alto shank or 2 shank)
Or use some shallow cup stock mouthpieces (like Bach C cup or shallower). Bach 7C, 11C, 12C, 15C, 15E, or Wick 7CS, 10CS , etc...
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Reading the posts here it‘s clear people have a huge range of preferences so the only general recommendation can be to keep an open mind and try stuff which is sufficiently different to what you‘ve tried already, you might be pleasantly surprised. It might not be a question of minor adjustments, think radical.

FWIW I like the Yamaha 48A, especially if the rest of the section are playing medium to large setups. Sometimes I play a Lindberg 15 for a more direct sound. My Bach 11C is also usable but I didn‘t like any of the other common small tenor mouthpieces on alto.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The problem with small tenor mouthpieces is the backbore and shank dimensions, IMO. They aren't right for alto, and I feel tension in my throat and chest when I use them on alto.

The right backbore will let you just relax and play. It's the same for any instrument.

I second the 15CL and 13CL. The designs are good, but you have to like that rim size.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Bach5G wrote: ↑Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:07 am An inexpensive starting point might be the Yamaha 48A, the “A” designating “alto”. This is the mpc Yamaha provides with its alto trombones. The rim is about the size of a 6 and 1/2. $50 or so.
That's what I started on. I tried several other mouthpieces and none were as good as the 48A. So I still use it.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
PDH

Post by PDH »

Thank you, everyone.
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

The Wedge 6.5 "Jazz" model works very well for me. I don't require a large rim on alto like I do on larger horns, so I've been using this model for the past few years.
dcslideman

Post by dcslideman »

Doldom wrote: ↑Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:45 pm Or use some shallow cup stock mouthpieces (like Bach C cup or shallower). Bach 7C, 11C, 12C, 15C, 15E, or Wick 7CS, 10CS , etc...
In addition to those, Bach also has a 12E. The E cup helps you sound "trumpety" in many cases. YMMV.

For what its worth, I have an inexpensive 15C listed on here.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Out of curiosity I have got a Lindberg 15CL. It seems to be a good fit to my 35h and also to my Kanstul alto. It could be that the sound is a bit more direct and brighter than the K NY N (11c size) that I usually play on alto. But it doesn't seem too extreme for me. Could be an interesting alternative, but would have to try it outside my practice room.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"

Return to “Mouthpieces”