Maxim Likhachev

Discuss the people that make the music here.
officermayo

Maxim Likhachev

Post by officermayo »

Going to see Leonid & Friends Friday night. Hoping to meet their trombonist Maxim Likhachev and get a couple of photos autographed for my Wall of Fame.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by officermayo on Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
officermayo

Re: Maxim Likhachev

Post by officermayo »

Had a great time at the concert. Meeting Maxim Likhachev was really cool - super nice guy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
Trombo

Post by Trombo »

A good guy. I've known him since 1983. We served in the Soviet army at that time, but in different orchestras and met at rehearsals for parades on Red Square as part of a combined military orchestra of 1,000 musicians.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Thanks for that information as I've never seen anything about his military service in any articles I've read. We had trouble communicating, but struggled through fior about an hour. I gave him Bill Bleck's transcriptions of all the Jimmy Pankow solos. He was totally thrilled and surprised.

Trombo

Post by Trombo »

In the Soviet Union in the 1980s, all healthy men between the ages of 18 and 27 had to serve in the army for 2 years (in the Navy for 3 years). Musicians who studied at colleges and conservatories in Moscow stayed to serve in Moscow to participate in parades on Red Square. It was only necessary to audition in advance in a military orchestra, of which there were a lot in Moscow. Serving in a military band in Moscow was a real happiness compared to serving in Siberia, the Far East, etc.

I understand his joy at your gift. James Pankow was our idol in those years. The musicians loved listening to jazz-rock: "Chicago", "Blood, Sweat and Tears", "Earth, Wind, Fire".

Return to “Musicians”