Oh where or where have my chops gone?

Papadukes

Oh where or where have my chops gone?

Post by Papadukes »

Eighteen months ago I had a bad accident on tor farm forcing me to lay off for for at least a year. Part of my rehab was weight loss. I am 72 years old and dropprf 95lbs. I am reading that weight loss includes muscle loss as well. The muscle loss seems to include my chops. I had steel chops with good range extensions in both directions. I have applied all the strategies I know of to restore my chops, but it is not going well. Stamina is poor and upper range is limited.

Has anyone experienced this and have suggestions to move forward. I try to practice three times a day for 20 minutes.

Thanks Steve Sanford
Doug Elliott

Re: Oh where or where have my chops gone?

Post by Doug Elliott »

It's very common to lose chops when losing a lot of weight. It's not just muscle, but the whole structure of your facial tissue changes and gets thinner.
I'd like to go down your way sometime in the next month or so. Maybe we can schedule a lesson, or I'm always available online.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Papadukes

Post by Papadukes »

I know a thing of two as well...different things I suspect.

FTR I have been using a Schilke 51 for years on my .547 bore and approximately a 51 b on small bore. I also use one of your set ups with a Lexon rim. I really like the rim. It's less abrasive than a steel rim.

After loosing about 85 lbs the muscle memory in my embrochure disappeared. I can still play very well but struggle to notes to speak evenly in fast articulations. My range tops out at c# and is not as comfortable as I'm accustomed to.

Yes, I would love a visit and lesson. I may need to switch mouthpieces.

Give me call and we can go from there. You will enjoy the history here. Our current residence adjoins Montpelier and was built in 1783 by President Madison's brother Ambrose.

Still have the Williams 6.

Steve Sanford 540.809.8400
Last edited by Papadukes on Sun May 05, 2024 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Papadukes

Post by Papadukes »

Papadukes wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:56 pm I know a thing of two as well...different things I suspect.

Return to “Performance”