Keeping cork on a practice mute and not in the bell stem

CuriousKen

Keeping cork on a practice mute and not in the bell stem

Post by CuriousKen »

Well, after over 40 years of playing I experienced a new one. Because of my day job travel and time spent in hotel rooms, I travel with my horn and use a Dennis Wick practice mute in hotel rooms. Last week the cork from my Wick mute came off the mute and stuck inside the bell stem. I was able to get the cork out of the bell, but now I have a corkless practice mute.

Thoughts on reattaching the cork in a manner that won't come off in the bell stem?
Bonearzt

Re: Keeping cork on a practice mute and not in the bell stem

Post by Bonearzt »

Weldwood contact cement is what I use to attach cork.

Clean the area with acetone or alcohol, spread a thin layer on both surfaces and allow to dry, then press the cork onto the mute.

Slightly rough up the exterior of the cork to remove any glazing that may cause it to stick like it did.
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Someone will report the permanent installation of corks in the bell, and removal from all mutes, making changes easier. Then will report the increase in core of the open horn. Then a debate about where and how the corks should be stuck for the best sound.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

If the cork were to be getting hard, I would consider replacing it. The cork is available for purchase. No offense, but I attempt to wet the corks before inserting the mute with the slide water atomizer. I do it at the beginning of rehearsal and often immediately before actual use. The last gig was outside. The cork dried out very quickly. When the corks let go, they have never been stuck in the bell. From an engineering perspective, permanent mounting of corks in bells is a great way to initiate corrosion that isn’t easily inspected until it does damage.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
CuriousKen

Post by CuriousKen »

Thanks for all the help everyone. Because I typically am in one location for a week at a time, I had been playing the horn, then setting it down with the mute in it. I did that all week. I didn't notice the cork issue until I was packing the horn up to return home. I have an apartment in the city that I travel to, so I can't deal with the cork and the mute until next time I travel. But, I won't be leaving the mute in the bell anymore when I'm not playing.

Return to “Maintenance”