Spouses of trombone players

Spin your yarns here.
tbdana

Spouses of trombone players

Post by tbdana »

Some spouses have less tolerance for our trombone habit than others. I'm very lucky. My spouse is very supportive, in general. In fact, my spouse is the reason I started playing again. I had just retired and we had just moved to the country. I had nothing to do, no friends, and was feeling isolated. Then we got snowed in and for three weeks were without power, heat, water, phones, internet, or sanity. I said, "That's it, I'm done. Let's sell this place and move back to L.A." But instead of that, my spouse went and bought me a trombone and said, "Here, play this." And I did, and got addicted and became a super happy person. I met people, I had something to do, I got friends, and I even started making money.

Last night I came home from rehearsal to see that my spouse -- a master sushi chef -- had made me this!
IMG_3243.JPG
I am extremely fortunate to have a completely supportive spouse! But not all of us are so lucky.

Tell me about your spouse, good or bad. In fact, the bad stories are more fun! LOL! :D And the good stories are heartwarming. So...'fess up about your spouse. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burgerbob

Re: Spouses of trombone players

Post by Burgerbob »

Let's put it this way... I have a room with 20+ horns in it and we are still happily married.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I married a horn player, so we generally share "the habit" as far as playing, though she more tolerates my Olds collection than encourages it.

We' met in college band; her degree is in Civil Engineering, mine is in Metallurgical Engineering. We're both retired now and her main non-music interest is lacemaking (there's a display case in the dining room full of her work and the various awards she's won over the years).

Interesting anecdote? We both prefer cars with manual transmissions. When we're car shopping, the sales person will invariably try to pitch an automatic transmission to her; she just laughs at them. That red Subaru WRX in the driveway isn't my car, it's hers.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

That sushi looks pretty damn good
sf105

Post by sf105 »

Can I come to around your house to visit?
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Just don't forget that your sushi chef wife has knives and knows how to use them.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Well, since hubby and I are both trombonists, I suppose we tolerate each other's obsession with collecting a variety of trombones. I might even say encourage - if he buys another horn, he certainly can't be critical if I buy another, and vice-versa, right? It is both a blessing and a curse.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Mamaposaune wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:54 pm Well, since hubby and I are both trombonists, I suppose we tolerate each other's obsession with collecting a variety of trombones. I might even say encourage - if he buys another horn, he certainly can't be critical if I buy another, and vice-versa, right? It is both a blessing and a curse.
Sounds kinda like a positive feedback circuit...
andym

Post by andym »

My wife once called trombone the background music of her life. But she is very supportive. And she used to have a voice teacher who taught out of our music room one afternoon a week. One time I was on the phone and the customer support person said that I had an amazing stereo and I told them it was actually live in our house. Sopranos working on opera can be pretty loud too.
The user formerly known as amichael on TTF.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

My wife is generally supportive. I have moved from studying trombone professionally to a completely different career. My wife actually appreciated that I picked up the trombone as a hobby again. She isn't too happy about the amount of trombones I have in multiple places in the house and doesn't always appreciate when I am practicing in the evening or going to rehearsals. On the other hand everybody needs some freedom. We have 3 kids that are still relatively small, one of them with very intense special needs. That means we are extremely busy with the kids and both my wife and I need some freedom from that as well. My wife usually invests a little more time in sports and meeting her (female) friends, I spend my free time mostly on the trombone.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:23 pm Let's put it this way... I have a room with 20+ horns in it and we are still happily married.
I get UPS to deliver horns somewhere other than my home. My wife cannot negotiate the stairs down to my basement man cave and has no idea how many horns are lurking there. Thank goodness for the back door entrance.

What she doesn't know won't hurt ME. 😁
"When in doubt, blow out" - MSgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

My very understanding other half plays violin/viola, we met each other through music. We played in the same youth orchestra and the first time we spoke to each other properly was by the Statue of Liberty on a youth orchestra tour to the US. At that time she knew me as a tubist, not sure if that makes her more or less understanding. She’s travelled with me on band tours and helped out selling CDs during performances etc. so I’d say she’s pretty committed to life as a trombonist’s spouse!

On the number of horns, I’m operating a one in, one out policy at the moment. That’s probably for the best.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

When I met my wife I was playing in a so-so big band and a community band, neither kind of music was her cup of tea. She supported my playing as a way to de-stress from my job. it wasn't until the first time she heard me in a high quality brass quintet in a church with great acoustics she "got it" and was proud of me as a musician.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King

Return to “Tangents”