The slide is kinda scratchy in a way?

N0ahh

The slide is kinda scratchy in a way?

Post by N0ahh »

Hi, so what do I do if the beginning of my slide (1-3rd position) is kinda hard to move? It’s a new trombone I got this month. I wash the slide and put ALOT of slide grease on it. This didn’t happen to my first trombone so I have no idea what’s wrong.
BGuttman

Re: The slide is kinda scratchy in a way?

Post by BGuttman »

What model is it and where did you get it?

First thing I'd try is a good cleaning of the outer slide with a cleaning rod and cheesecloth.

Second thing I'd do is to check the slide tubes for warp or misalignment. Sight down the tubes and look for bends. Then place one outer tube on the inner and see if the other pair of tubes are parallel. Do this for both combinations.

If you find misalignment or if both things don't work, see a tech or contact the seller for a replacement.

Note that some Chinese instruments are not easy to repair and some repairmen won't touch them.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
SteveFoote

Post by SteveFoote »

If it is really new as in you bought it from a music store and you are the first owner, don't mess with it. Take it back and let them determine what is wrong and make the needed adjustments so that it works correctly.
Stores should not release an instrument that is not properly aligned.
King 3B Silver Sonic, Olds Opera, Conn 72H
andesl10

Post by andesl10 »

What kind of slide grease are you using? How did the slide move when it was cleaned and not greased? If it's tuning slide grease, it wouldn't work well. Generally for slide creams, I think less is more.

Return to “Maintenance”