Artist Fee For Trombone Events

All about making money.
tbdana

Artist Fee For Trombone Events

Post by tbdana »

What is a typical fee for artists who perform at trombone events and festivals? What's a realistic fee to appear as a headliner versus a clinician? Anyone know?
WilliamLang

Re: Artist Fee For Trombone Events

Post by WilliamLang »

For stuff like ITF I've heard it's $0 almost all the time. Some people might get travel/hotel covered, maybe a Lindberg gets something, but almost always it's $0.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

You get "legitimacy from the system"!
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

For tenure-track faculty members travel and registration is probably covered (maybe partially covered) by their school. A recital performance or a master class/lecture demonstration almost certainly counts as creative activity. (The schools where it wouldn't count are those that are still tied up in the peer-reviewed journal articles are the only creative activity that counts model of scholarship. Musicians tend not to thrive at such places.) At most schools, an invited lecture-performance at a world conference like ITF would count for quite a bit in your annual activities report.

So yeah, for tenure-track faculty members, you do gain legitimacy from the system.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

The next interesting question is what do non-trombonist performers (e.g. accompanists and group members) get at these events.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

LeTromboniste wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:18 am The next interesting question is what do non-trombonist performers (e.g. accompanists and group members) get at these events.
That's an excellent question, and now that you ask it I'm curious, too! :)
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

When the Trumpet Festival was held in my area some years ago, the big band that I played with was "booked" for a jazz night, and was not paid. I wasn't able to do the "gig", because the orchestra was playing that night.

Our local Trombone Day doesn't pay any of the trombonists performing/teaching, but there is a small honorarium for the official accompanist and for the rhythm section.

It's run on a small budget with some contributions from a local musical education foundation that helps support local musical events.

Jim Scott

Return to “Music Business”