Nils Landgren Trombone water key valve mod

noski

Nils Landgren Trombone water key valve mod

Post by noski »

Surprised to see that there's literarily no information anywhere on the internet (please forward me if I have missed it some corner) about Nils Landgren and potentially other trombone players water key solutions.

He describes it himself here:

He states that it's, quote "a piano thread running through here"

Has anyone on this forum tried to DIY this Yamaha implementation? Interested to learn what parts you bought if you don't mind sharing.

Much appreciated.
Bonearzt

Re: Nils Landgren Trombone water key valve mod

Post by Bonearzt »

Thein uses that waterkey design.
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
noski

Post by noski »

Bonearzt wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:12 pm Thein uses that waterkey design.
Thanks for the reply Bonearzt - You're right! I can see the mechanism here: https://thebrass-exchange.com/content/t ... make-fbbeb

I wonder where one could buy such parts though. For my plastic trombone I guess I could 3d print something but harder for my real Alto...
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Long waterkey mechanisms have been common in Germany for many, many years. They are not exclusive to one maker.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

My first teacher also has such a long water key on his Lätzsch trombones.

As an 8 year old beginner I was so fascinated by it that it was clear that I would need something like that later.

Later I had it retrofitted by Lätzsch.
A very thin tube is soldered onto the slide and a wire is pulled through it. If you then press the top, the flap opens at the bottom.
noski

Post by noski »

Matthias wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:10 am My first teacher also has such a long water key on his Lätzsch trombones.

As an 8 year old beginner I was so fascinated by it that it was clear that I would need something like that later.

Later I had it retrofitted by Lätzsch.
A very thin tube is soldered onto the slide and a wire is pulled through it. If you then press the top, the flap opens at the bottom.
Thanks for interesting context Matthias! Cool stuff - Considering people mentioned Germany, I was able to find this: https://shop.mtp-music.de/article-detai ... 30-k1.aspx

Might give it an order. I'm more so interested in doing a DYI here. I have some soldering experience and my trombone isn't all that expensive. I do see how taking it to a renowned brand like Lätzsch could garner a great result though.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

That is not the same thing. That is a device where you drill a hole in the existing waterkey lever. The string is located on the cross brace. You pull on the string to open the key. It can work, but ..
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
noski

Post by noski »

hornbuilder wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:41 pm That is not the same thing. That is a device where you drill a hole in the existing waterkey lever. The string is located on the cross brace. You pull on the string to open the key. It can work, but ..
I see. Hmm. I wonder where you'd get the parts then. My search continues.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Listen to Matthew regarding the MTP/Seibold device!

Page 28 of the B&S spare parts catalogue has the parts, as used on their MS14 and MS27 trombones:

https://www.buffetcrampongroup.com/wp-c ... -HH-v2.pdf

You'll have to find a Buffet dealer to order these parts for you though. And parts are not cheap these days!

Return to “Modification & Repair”