Odd old Courtois

ttf_baroquetrombone

Odd old Courtois

Post by ttf_baroquetrombone »

What's the deal? Is there a reason for its existence? Was it used for something specific? Does anyone happen to know anything about it? Is it just something else to blame on the French? Do tell!

ttf_Edward_Solomon

Odd old Courtois

Post by ttf_Edward_Solomon »

Probably designed to be dual purpose over-the-shoulder and regular bell-front.
ttf_baroquetrombone

Odd old Courtois

Quote from: Edward_Solomon on Oct 14, 2017, 11:57AMProbably designed to be dual purpose over-the-shoulder and regular bell-front.

Thanks for the reply, Ed. I hadn't even considered that.  I don't think it comes apart for that to happen, but I'll try to find out.
ttf_Blackthorne

Odd old Courtois

Post by ttf_Blackthorne »

Quote from: Edward_Solomon on Oct 14, 2017, 11:57AMProbably designed to be dual purpose over-the-shoulder and regular bell-front.

That would make sense, given that the buccin was a French instrument.  Maybe the over-the-shoulder configuration was meant to be similar to that.
ttf_baroquetrombone

Odd old Courtois

I checked. No deal. Everything is soldered and it definitely all seems original. I can't see how it would be converted anyway with the joints that exist, unless the "gooseneck" section is not used at all for rear facing configuration.

Any other ideas?
ttf_BGuttman

Odd old Courtois

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

How about a cavalry trombone.  You can place your left arm through the loop so you can hold it while riding a horse.
ttf_BGuttman

Odd old Courtois

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

How about a cavalry trombone.  You can place your left arm through the loop so you can hold it while riding a horse.

Return to “History of the Trombone”