Trombone Christmas

ttf_JPTbone

Trombone Christmas

Post by ttf_JPTbone »

Starting a new post. Christmas events for trombone. Not sure if this is the correct place. Perhaps Mods can move and move those posts from the instruments sections to here.

Jacksonville, Fla: Yuleslide, Dec 16th. Rehearsal at 10:30 AM. Gig at 2 PM.
Riverside Arts Market, 715 Riverside Ave, Jacksonville, FL 32204.
(Under or near Fuller Warren bridge, I-95)

Also a great listen, CD by Summit Recodings:
Trombones Under The Tree. Most tracks are on You Tube, Google this title along with Joe Alessi.
The quartet consists of Joe Alessi, Mark Lawrence, Carl Lenthe on tenors and M. Dee Stewart on bass.
A great listen but this group probably has already heard. Album came out in 1995. Might be out of stock now.
My copy packed away somewhere.

Cheers, JP Folkenroth

ttf_BGuttman

Trombone Christmas

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Actually belongs in Notices.

We had a discussion of Trombone Christmas in another thread.

Moving.  Please keep hands inside the thread.
ttf_JohnL

Trombone Christmas

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Trombone Christmas Anaheim
December 16
Rehearsal: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
Concert: 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Anaheim Gardenwalk, 321 West Katella Avenue, Anaheim, CA 92802
www.trombonechristmas.org

Other Trombone Christmases:
http://trombonechristmas.org/location/
ttf_LowrBrass

Trombone Christmas

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

Yuleslide!!! I love that!

This year's "official Trombone Christmas" events
http://trombonechristmas.org/location/
are:
  • [li]Anaheim, CA (12/16)[/li][li]Colorado Springs, CO (12/16)[/li][li]Hillsboro, OR (12/9)[/li][li]Kansas City, MO (12/16)[/li][li]Philadelphia, PA (12/16)[/li][li]Charlotte, NC (12/2) (oh well, there's always next year)[/li][li]Denver, CO (12/17)[/li]
(Bruce, you'd asked [in the heavy trombone thread] about the music... 2017 will be my first year, so I dunno yet.)
ttf_JohnL

Trombone Christmas

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: LowrBrass on Yesterday at 07:58 PM(Bruce, you'd asked [in the heavy trombone thread] about the music... 2017 will be my first year, so I dunno yet.)The arrangements in the Trombone Christmas book tend towards a more pop/jazz style. As such, it can be a harder read than the TubaChristmas or Horns-A-Plenty Christmas books. For the Anaheim event, the Bones West gang forms the core of the choir and we actually work on the tunes at our regular rehearsals starting a few weeks in advance.

It's six parts; 4 tenors and 2 basses. Lead tenor goes up to Image Image, low bass goes down to Image Image 8vb. The arrangers did a pretty good job passing the melody around, so no one gets stuck playing pads, oompahs, and/or offbeats all the time.

The tunes are:
Away in a Manger
O Christmas Tree
O Little Town of Bethlehem
Good King Wenceslas
Christmastime is Here (from A Charlie Brown Christmas)
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Silver Bells
Baby It's Cold Outside
Oh Chanukah
Christmas Can't Be Far Away
Christmas Lullaby (Amy Grant)
It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
O Holy Night
Silent Night
We Three Kings
Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy
O Thou Joyful Day
Go Tell It On the Mountain
It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
Mele Kalikimaka
The Christmas Song
We Need a Little Christmas
Holly Jolly Christmas
Jingle Bells
Angels We Have Heard On High
Joy to the World
O Come All Ye Faithful
Trombone Christmas Fanfare
ttf_JPTbone

Trombone Christmas

Post by ttf_JPTbone »

I couldn't find my e-mail about Jacksonville, FL Yuleslide, but now it's on the Yuleslide web site:
HTTPS://www.yuleslide.org. Other Yuleslide events as well (GA).
The Jax one has a $10 reg fee. Rehearsal is at 10 AM., and the location is at
La Villa School of the Arts, 501 N. Davis St. Jax.

Sorry for some bad info in 1st post. Looking forward to it.

Cheers, JP

ttf_LowrBrass

Trombone Christmas

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

I just got home from Philly's event.
The Christopher Bill Quartet (Christopher Bill, Dan Levine, Nick Finzer,  Jen Hinkle) was fantastic.

Back to the subject of "what did we play?":
* Selections from Mark Feezell's book of carols
* Selections from The Christmas Book of Carols
* "The Final Countdown," arranged for five trombones and a horn (we just ignored the horn part) by a UPenn student, I think?
* Christopher Bill's arrangement of "Hark the Herald Angels Sing"
* Bill Reichenbach's arrangement of "Jingle Bells"

(Hope I'm not going to get anyone in trouble by posting all that... Is there any reason why it'd be problematic?)

It was all trombone quartet stuff except "Final Countdown" and "Jingle Bells."
We had a two-hour sight-reading rehearsal, followed by a quick dinner, before the event.
Good bunch of players, too--or at least, it sounded to me like good lead players were nailing the first parts, and all the folks in my immediate surroundings were solid players. We'll know for sure when they post the video.  Image

(Still... not gonna lie, the Christopher Bill Quartet was the highlight. But how could it not be?)

A+, would recommend.
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Trombone Christmas

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Quote from: LowrBrass on Dec 16, 2017, 07:48PMI just got home from Philly's event.
The Christopher Bill Quartet (Christopher Bill, Dan Levine, Nick Finzer,  Jen Hinkle) was fantastic.

Back to the subject of "what did we play?":
* Selections from Mark Feezell's book of carols
* Selections from The Christmas Book of Carols
* "The Final Countdown," arranged for five trombones and a horn (we just ignored the horn part) by a UPenn student, I think?
* Christopher Bill's arrangement of "Hark the Herald Angels Sing"
* Bill Reichenbach's arrangement of "Jingle Bells"

(Hope I'm not going to get anyone in trouble by posting all that... Is there any reason why it'd be problematic?)

It was all trombone quartet stuff except "Final Countdown" and "Jingle Bells."
We had a two-hour sight-reading rehearsal, followed by a quick dinner, before the event.
Good bunch of players, too--or at least, it sounded to me like good lead players were nailing the first parts, and all the folks in my immediate surroundings were solid players. We'll know for sure when they post the video.  Image

(Still... not gonna lie, the Christopher Bill Quartet was the highlight. But how could it not be?)

A+, would recommend.

I really wanted to go last night, but I wasn’t able to  Image.  I’m going to try and make it next year though.
ttf_LowrBrass

Trombone Christmas

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

Quote from: crazytrombonist505 on Dec 17, 2017, 04:59AMI really wanted to go last night, but I wasn’t able to  Image.  I’m going to try and make it next year though.

ttf_bassboneman

Trombone Christmas

Post by ttf_bassboneman »

On the Moravian Trombone Chorales recording done back a ways - Jeff Reynolds had a hand in it I believe...
Anyway - there are some really great lesser known/heard German Advent/Christmas tracks on there! Great stuff!!

Pittsburgh Symphony Brass has a super awesome CD of Holiday Music - different arrangements that sound pretty cool.
Can clearly hear Murray Crewe laying down the bass bone parts  Image

Sam
ttf_JPTbone

Trombone Christmas

Post by ttf_JPTbone »

I couldn't participate in Jax Yuleslide yesterday as I found they were performing standing and I have an injured and badly swollen left foot. I did attend in the audience; they sounded great!! Pros & amateurs. There were 32 of them & I think it was 4 part harmony. They plan next year, also. There was one alto bone. I'll play if possible.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year, JP

ttf_BGuttman

Trombone Christmas

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I'm sure if you went and told them of your disability they would have let you sit down.  Especially if you had crutches or a bandage on the foot.  It is the law that they have to accommodate the disabled.  Then again, maybe you didn't want the attention...
ttf_JohnL

Trombone Christmas

Post by ttf_JohnL »

The final count for Anaheim was 192. That's a whole lot of trombones.

Guest conductors were Jim Miller and Robert Soto. This year's Grand Marshall/Soloist was Amy Bowers. As in past years, Rich Bullock was our announcer.

With the exception of Amy Bowers' solo piece, all of the selections were from the Trombone Christmas book.
ttf_CJ

Trombone Christmas

Post by ttf_CJ »

Is the Trombone Christmas book available outside of these events?
ttf_BGuttman

Trombone Christmas

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The site says you can, but it appears the store is closed (probably till after Christmas).  The books are around $8.00 each and you need six (if I remember correctly).
ttf_JohnL

Trombone Christmas

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: CJ on Dec 18, 2017, 07:15AMIs the Trombone Christmas book available outside of these events?Yes. You can contact the organizers at [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]. The books are not inexpensive (something like $17.95 each), but they are spiral bound  8.5" x 11". By contrast, the  8.5" x 11" books for "the tuba event" are now $28 and are staple bound with a less durable cover.

There are six parts, plus a score. I don't recall the price for the score.

They might be out of stock on some of the parts; we did have a big crowd this year. If that's the case, you'll have to wait until they have another press run (probably not until next fall).

If you have trouble getting in touch with them, send me a PM and I'll try to facilitate a connection.
ttf_JohnL

Trombone Christmas

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: CJ on Dec 18, 2017, 07:15AMIs the Trombone Christmas book available outside of these events?Yes. You can contact the organizers at [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]. The books are not inexpensive (something like $17.95 each), but they are spiral bound  8.5" x 11". By contrast, the  8.5" x 11" books for "the tuba event" are now $28 and are staple bound with a less durable cover.

There are six parts, plus a score. I don't recall the price for the score.

They might be out of stock on some of the parts; we did have a big crowd this year. If that's the case, you'll have to wait until they have another press run (probably not until next fall).

If you have trouble getting in touch with them, send me a PM and I'll try to facilitate a connection.

Return to “Notices from TTF Members”