Hershey or Nestle

ttf_alownx

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_alownx »

If given the choice of just these two, do you prefer Hershey's or Nestle's chocolate?
ttf_BGuttman

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I like Cadbury.  Wait, aren't they part of Nestle now?
ttf_alownx

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_alownx »

I'm not sure. They might be, Nestle seems to own much of everything else!

I was trying to limit it to Nestle's and Hershey's as they are the general mass made chocolate. I view Cadbury as more niche. Sort of like Windows vs Apple.
ttf_robcat2075

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I was going to try to judge it on who was the less worse corporation but they've both done crazy stuff.  Image

I do put Nestlé Strawberry Quick in my coffee but that's not chocolate.
ttf_Etshinn

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_Etshinn »

Nestlé does own Cadbury, the purchase was fairly recent.  However Hershey owns the right to manufacture Cadbury products in the U.S., which is why the two companies are often associated with each other.  

I prefer Hershey's, though Mars and Nestle are much larger companies.

Source - Dad works for Hershey
ttf_Cubes

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_Cubes »

ttf_Chris Fidler

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_Chris Fidler »

Neither have much to do with "Real" Chocolate!!!
ttf_bhcordova

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

Hershey's Chocolate rocks!!!!!!!
ttf_Eastcheap

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_Eastcheap »

Maybe it's me getting older — people have been saying "Hershey bars were better when I was a kid," for as long as anyone can remember — but I have to say that I find Hershey chocolate pretty repulsive.  This wasn't always the case.

Quote from: Etshinn on Mar 07, 2014, 01:10PMI prefer Hershey's, though Mars and Nestle are much larger companies.

Smaller, perhaps, but very, very aggressive...like a bantam rooster.  They have so much shelf space sewn up that it can be hard to find anything else.

I wonder if Hershey vs. Mars wouldn't have been a better way to go.  There are a lot of people, particularly outside the U.S., who really despise Nestlé for reasons other than the quality of their products, so it's hard to get an unpredujiced opinion.

On a side note, am I the only one who finds that the Nestlé products labelled in Spanish are just better somehow?
ttf_Cubes

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_Cubes »

Quote from: Eastcheap on Mar 08, 2014, 05:24PMOn a side note, am I the only one who finds that the Nestlé products labelled in Spanish are just better somehow?

I would have to agree here! I also like to buy the Mexican hot chocolate circle tablet things and just eat it, it tastes much better than a regular chocolate bar!

The same goes for Hispanic sodas too id say, maybe something about using real sugar?
ttf_MrJazzinc

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_MrJazzinc »

I realise this is an old thread but I would just like to clarify: Nestlé do own lots but they do NOT own Cadbury.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nestl%C3%A9_brands

ttf_Eastcheap

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_Eastcheap »

Quote from: MrJazzinc on Oct 28, 2014, 04:40PMI realise this is an old thread but I would just like to clarify: Nestlé do own lots but they do NOT own Cadbury.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nestl%C3%A9_brands

Cadbury is owned by Mondelēz International, an American company that split off from Kraft.  Nevertheless, Cadbury products sold in the US are manufactured by Hershey.  Some of the confusion may have arisen from the fact that Kit Kat is another brand licensed by Hershey in the US.
ttf_bonearzt

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Quote from: Chris Fidler on Mar 07, 2014, 04:59PMNeither have much to do with "Real" Chocolate!!!

I'll drink to that!!

Actually the best tasting bar I can think of is the "Worlds Finest Chocolate" that the schools sell for fundraising!
Even though they are half the size of what I used to sell,  35 years ago.....sad to say....

Trader Joes has some yummy bars,  and Ghirardelli is also some really good stuff!!

Eric
ttf_Graham Martin

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

I saw an interesting program about chocolate on TV last night. It seems that eating dark chocolate can improve the memory. Specifically the test had healthy people ages 50 to 69 drinking a mixture high in cocoa flavanols for three months and they performed about 25% better on a memory test. The only problem with chocolate bars being that you have to eat 7 every day. Image Image

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/body/seven-bars-dark-chocolate-improve-memory-25/

Still, if you are a chocolate lover, now you have an excuse for eating more. Image

ttf_SensitiveJohn

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_SensitiveJohn »

I like both.  However, Hershey, even the Special Dark, tastes different than other chocolate brands. There is enough room in the multiverse for both.
ttf_BGuttman

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I like Right Twix Image
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Outside of english speaking countries, Hershey's milk chocolate bars are considered to be real treats. They taste unique because of some sourness in the milk that is used.

I think they rock, but I wish they didn't have that weird EGBT emulsifier chemical or whatever it is. It's not natural or normal or good for humans to eat.
ttf_sfboner

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_sfboner »

Neither, I'd give up chocolate.  Both utilize child labor.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Hershey or Nestle

Quote from: sfboner on Oct 29, 2015, 10:51PMNeither, I'd give up chocolate.  Both utilize child labor.

Speaking of child labor, that baby in your avatar is working wayyy too hard playing that bass trombone. Image
ttf_sfboner

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_sfboner »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Oct 30, 2015, 05:42AMSpeaking of child labor, that baby in your avatar is working wayyy too hard playing that bass trombone. Image

I would never do that!! 

It's a large tenor.
ttf_anonymous

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Screw those! I spent my summer in Germany and visited a lovely friend of mine in Switzerland and oh my... Once youve had real Swiss chocolate there is no going back. Swiss chocolate is by far UNDERRATED. Seriously. Of course that chocolate will empty your wallet pretty fast!  Image
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Hershey or Nestle

Quote from: The Sackbutist on Oct 30, 2015, 06:26PMScrew those! I spent my summer in Germany and visited a lovely friend of mine in Switzerland and oh my... Once youve had real Swiss chocolate there is no going back. Swiss chocolate is by far UNDERRATED. Seriously. Of course that chocolate will empty your wallet pretty fast!  Image

If we're talking about actual real chocolate, Icelandic chocolate is by far the superior kind.

If we're talking about candies made WITH chocolate, Japan takes the cake.

If it's Hershey vs Nestle, Hersheys is way better.
ttf_djdekok

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_djdekok »

As a rule, I bake with Ghirardelli; Nestle is too cloyingly sweet and Hershey--and remember, I live in Pennsylvania, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting Hershey--has no personality.

I recently heard of a European brand called Milka.  It's distributed in the US by Farrara Candy of Chicago, and I understand it's available (at least online) at Walmart, of all places.  Doing research made me VERY curious. They apparently have a product that has corn chips in the chocolate bar. Watching for it... Image
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Hershey or Nestle

Quote from: djdekok on Nov 03, 2015, 06:05AMAs a rule, I bake with Ghirardelli; Nestle is too cloyingly sweet and Hershey--and remember, I live in Pennsylvania, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting Hershey--has no personality.

I recently heard of a European brand called Milka.  It's distributed in the US by Farrara Candy of Chicago, and I understand it's available (at least online) at Walmart, of all places.  Doing research made me VERY curious. They apparently have a product that has corn chips in the chocolate bar. Watching for it... Image

They have Milka all up in the commissaries on Army bases. It's not that great. But chocolate is like wine. There are many kinds.
ttf_Roebird37

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

20-30 years ago Milka chocolate wasn't widely available in the UK, you would generally only get it if a kindly friend  brought it back from Belgium or France.  It was beautiful stuff.  Now you can get it everywhere and it doesn't taste the same, I assume that increasing production so much has affected the quality.

I've tried Hershey's a couple of times and can't believe anyone eats it for pleasure, ewwww.

Hotel Chocolat is where it's at, if you live in the UK and have deep pockets.

ttf_bhcordova

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

Quote from: BGuttman on Oct 29, 2015, 07:54PMI like Right Twix Image

Left Twix Rules!  Image Image Image
ttf_Eastcheap

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_Eastcheap »

Quote from: Roebird37 on Nov 04, 2015, 01:21AMI've tried Hershey's a couple of times and can't believe anyone eats it for pleasure, ewwww.

Thank goodness I'm not alone, even if you are a durn furriner.  Now, imagine what it would be like if Kit Kat and everything Cadbury were made by Hershey.  It's a sad state of affairs.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Hershey or Nestle

Everyone keeps bringing up all these different versions of chocolate but the poll only allows for Hershey or Nestle.
ttf_sfboner

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_sfboner »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Oct 30, 2015, 05:42AMSpeaking of child labor, that baby in your avatar is working wayyy too hard playing that bass trombone. Image

Oh, and that baby will be six years old soon!  She has shown some preference for the trumpet as an instrument she's attracted to, but when I asked her last week while we heard some trumpet playing on the radio, she said she now prefers the trombone!   Image  She has owned owned a pBone given to her by my mother a couple years ago that comes out every now and then, and she can now produce a passable low Bb and sometimes an F. 

Regarding chocolate, I still choose neither of these, though I love Madagascar chocolate.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Hershey or Nestle

Quote from: sfboner on Nov 14, 2015, 12:36AMOh, and that baby will be six years old soon!  She has shown some preference for the trumpet as an instrument she's attracted to, but when I asked her last week while we heard some trumpet playing on the radio, she said she now prefers the trombone!   Image  She has owned owned a pBone given to her by my mother a couple years ago that comes out every now and then, and she can now produce a passable low Bb and sometimes an F. 

Regarding chocolate, I still choose neither of these, though I love Madagascar chocolate.

Your kid is gonna be all right, brother!
ttf_anonymous

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_anonymous »

When I was on a big band tour sometime in the 80's we played in Hershey PA. The first thing I did when I got off the bus was go buy a Hershey candy bar.

No doubt they are the same no matter where you buy them, but I wanted to be able to say I ate one in Hershey.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Hershey or Nestle

I love how the posts are mostly negative towards Hershey .... but look at the poll. Hahaha.
ttf_BGuttman

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Jun 16, 2016, 03:10AMI love how the posts are mostly negative towards Hershey .... but look at the poll. Hahaha.

This is an American forum (despite the fact that there are members from outside the US)

Hershey is an American company
Nestle is European.

Hershey also has better distribution in the US.

I do prefer Crunch over Crackle Image

But Hershey doesn't make a good semi-sweet chocolate.
ttf_Posaunus

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Neither Hershey nor Nestlé.   Image

Best chocolate bars widely available at retail outlets (including Trader Joe's): Valrhona  Image

Made in a tiny town on the Rhône River in southern France since 1922.  Try it - you'll never go back! 
ttf_greenbean

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_greenbean »

It is like being asked...  "Do you prefer pBone or Tromba?"
ttf_Exzaclee

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

they taste the same.

Go English...
ttf_BiggieSmalls

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_BiggieSmalls »

As much as I despise Dollar General store here in the U.S., their house brand of dark (or milk) chocolate, which is made in Poland and costs $1 per bar, compares favorably with many of the fancier $2.50-$3 bars on the market.
ttf_Torobone

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Wait, is that chocolate made in the US or other parts of the world?

When I lived in Seattle, my admin came in on Monday offered me Canadian chocolate, after a trip north, claiming it did not contain paraffin. It was some time ago, so maybe the recipes have changed. At the time, I enjoyed the taste of home.
ttf_Graham Martin

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jun 16, 2016, 07:47AMThis is an American forum (despite the fact that there are members from outside the US)

US-located, yes, but the owner always assured us that it was an International Forum. Image 

Anyway, you're all wrong because Cadbury chocolate is by far the best, especially when made by Cadbury Australia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadbury

Hershey have tried to gain a market in Australia but failed miserably against Cadbury and the Swiss company Nestlé. I also hear that Hershey is open to possible takeover bids.

BTW, although the medical effects of humans eating chocolate are unclear and what I said in 2014 has not been proven, please do not feed chocolate to your pets - cats, dogs, horses, parrots, and small rodents - because for them it is toxic. Image
ttf_Eastcheap

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_Eastcheap »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Jul 01, 2016, 04:11PMAnyway, you're all wrong because Cadbury chocolate is by far the best, especially when made by Cadbury Australia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadbury

Scroll down to "United States" and pity us.
ttf_Rathrombones

Hershey or Nestle

Post by ttf_Rathrombones »

+1 for Cadbury!!!! DIARY MILK!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are a lot of places that sell em in the US tho, prob imported Image ...
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Hershey or Nestle

"Diary Milk" is almost as good as "Diarrhea-ey Milk".

Anything but Dairy Milk.
ttf_Rathrombones

Hershey or Nestle

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Jul 05, 2016, 06:36PM"Diary Milk" is almost as good as "Diarrhea-ey Milk".

Anything but Dairy Milk.

Ouch. That hurts real bad, man... Image
ttf_Rathrombones

Hershey or Nestle

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Jul 05, 2016, 06:36PM"Diary Milk" is almost as good as "Diarrhea-ey Milk".

Anything but Dairy Milk.

Ouch. That hurts real bad, man... Image

Return to “Polls”