eBay: Edwards with missing parts?

ttf_Noahharry

Post by ttf_Noahharry »

So many questions.  First, is it really missing any parts and is this just a steal? Especially after it says "missing parts...I think" Do they just mean the slide? What the heck is that white grocery bag material on it? Why is the seller seemingly so reluctant to answer questions? This seems very sketchy...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trombone-Edwards-/142407350537?hash=item212823b909:g:SFYAAOSwX9FZNvU8
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

It looks like the guy is just hired to sell items that may still have value from settled insurance cases. The instrument was probably damaged during shipping, and the white plastic stuff is wrapping. You can see the bell was damaged, probably compressed. The guy selling it is clueless about what it is, and doesn't care to know, he's selling a bunch of other stuff he doesn't understand as well, so doesn't want to get involved beyond just conducting the sale. Yes, it's a bargain if you're willing to take the risk that the valve works and that there isn't any other damage.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

They probably aren't a trombonist but know enough that trombones should have slides. If its missing slide then its not a bell section for sale, its a trombone with missing parts. At least that's what I think.  Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Do Edwards engravings on the bell really look like that? I think it might be a case similar to the edwards bass trombone here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Edwards-Bass-trombone-with-Double-Independent-Thayer-valves-/263011819628?hash=item3d3cb9e06c:g:p6oAAOSwsXFZLdTp where its a chinese knockoff using the edwards name. Maybe I'm wrong though
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Yeah, the engraving on the bell for sale seems legit - also has the bell spec stamp, too.
ttf_Blackthorne

Post by ttf_Blackthorne »

Wow, you weren't kidding with regard to his reluctance to answer questions.

Heaven forbid people want a little more information on what they might be buying.  "I don't know what trombone valves or slides are".  About five minutes of research would alleviate that issue, considering that, like I said, people might want to know how well the Thayer valve/tuning slides operate.  Yeah, it might (I say might because there are still 5 1/2 days left on the auction) go for a steal, but people are still gonna want to know what they're buying.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Never mind.  I am just confusing matters...
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: greenbean on Jun 08, 2017, 02:07PMKnockoff...

The bell section (from the original post in this thread) for sale is a knockoff?  Didn't look like it to me, but it's been a while since I've see an Edwards.  Indeed the one mentioned that is a full horn is surely a knockoff, no question there.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Quote from: tbathras on Jun 08, 2017, 02:28PMThe bell section (from the original post in this thread) for sale is a knockoff?  Didn't look like it to me, but it's been a while since I've see an Edwards.  Indeed the one mentioned that is a full horn is surely a knockoff, no question there.

Ah.. just ignore me.  Sorry for the confusion.
ttf_Blowero

Post by ttf_Blowero »

That's the special tone-enhancing plastic coating. Image
ttf_zarkosis

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

When there is a steal like this please stop bidding 5 days before it's over! Or bidding 80$ to 100$ more than the last guy! You are just making the person who gets it have to pay more! We are all friends here right? Image Someone could have got this for 200-300 bucks Image
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Quote from: zarkosis on Jun 09, 2017, 05:38PMWhen there is a steal like this please stop bidding 5 days before it's over! Or bidding 80$ to 100$ more than the last guy! You are just making the person who gets it have to pay more! We are all friends here right? Image Someone could have got this for 200-300 bucks Image

Hahaha...... what? That is kind of what ebay is... unfortunately its rare to get something at a price too good to be true. And if its looks like that is the case of course lots of people will want to try!
ttf_Noahharry

Post by ttf_Noahharry »

Quote from: zarkosis on Jun 09, 2017, 05:38PMWhen there is a steal like this please stop bidding 5 days before it's over! Or bidding 80$ to 100$ more than the last guy! You are just making the person who gets it have to pay more! We are all friends here right? Image Someone could have got this for 200-300 bucks Image

To be honest I kinda regret posting this because everyone on the forum has seen this and is now bidding $80 more dollars each time.
ttf_zarkosis

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

Exactly, I saw this right as it was listed but each day I checked it went up like 100$. Image But hey, I could always just go to the Edwards House and get these parts, it's seeming less like a deal every day.

Also I have a question, does anyone know what the lacquer discoloration is? It doesn't look like acid bleeding to me, maybe heat marks from repair?
ttf_zarkosis

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

Also go read this sellers negative feedback! ITS HILARIOUS!!! Me and my dad had quite a chuckle from how evil he is!  Image

Plus when I asked if the valve worked and the tuning slides moved he just said "I do not know what a trombone valve or valve slide is. STOP ASKING ME QUESTIONS. also no other apparent dents. I".

I feel like giving this guy money would be bad for my morals!  Image Angry man!
ttf_zarkosis

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

Quote from: Noahharry on Jun 08, 2017, 12:00PMSo many questions...What the heck is that white grocery bag material on it?

Quote from: Blowero on Jun 08, 2017, 11:53PMThat's the special tone-enhancing plastic coating. Image

It was Edwards' prototype for the Harmonic Bridges and Pillars.
ttf_Larry Preston Roberson

Post by ttf_Larry Preston Roberson »

Quote from: Noahharry on Jun 08, 2017, 12:00PMSo many questions...What the heck is that white grocery bag material on it?

Quote from: Blowero on Jun 08, 2017, 11:53PMThat's the special tone-enhancing plastic coating. Image

It was Edwards' prototype for the Harmonic Bridges and Pillars.

Return to “Found on the Net”