beginner duet resources?

ttf_anonymous

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My 12 year old son started trombone this school year and wants to join band next year  ( he got kicked out this year one month in ).  He really really wants to play in band and was very disappointed.   I used to play trombone and still play a couple other instruments so took on the daily task of temporary music teacher to get him up to speed by next year.   After a few lessons I caught the bug and got my own trombone again - 30 years later!

It turns out it was a great decision, his learning is accelerating, I'm starting to remember how to play again and we are really having fun - especially playing the beginner duets in the beginner book 'a song a day' on advice from the forums here.   So....  we are looking for beginner level duets!   Any advice or pointers?   I'm almost ready to start writing out my own...

ps. thanks to this forum I got him a king 605 in great shape off craigs list for 100 bucks and myself an olds super which I love.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I believe that there are several levels of the Rubank method book, and each has duets scattered throughout. Its a light blue colored book, and the "intermediate" is a good step up for the Arbans book. They are also mostly devoid of "baby songs".
ttf_kmattman

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_kmattman »

The Arbans is great for easy duets.  The lower part is usually easier than the higher part too so it should be manageable one way or another.  I'd stay away from Blazhevich for a while  Image  Good luck!
ttf_anonymous

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Philip Sparke - Starter Duets.  Seriously great for beginners, very progressive.
ttf_BGuttman

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Rubank has two books of duets edited by Voxman.  The Easy-Intermediate one should fill the bill.

There was also a set of duets edited by Keith Snell that come as Easy, Intermediate, and Advanced.

Good luck and have fun.
ttf_anonymous

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Selected Duets for Trombone or Baritone: Volume 1 - Easy to Medium (Rubank Educational Library)
http://www.amazon.com/Selected-Duets-Trombone-Baritone-Educational/dp/1423445392

Is a very nice duett book for beginners. When advancing, try

Ten Duets For Tenor Trombones
Tommy Pederson
http://www.hickeys.com/products/007/sku07834.htm

These are really fun, but one needs to be able to sustain jazzy accords + rythms
ttf_tenuki

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_tenuki »

Thanks a lot folks!  The Rubank selected and spark start duets are on their way from amazon.  Image

ttf_anonymous

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Here are a couple trombonist's websites that have some duets to download free.

http://tenorposaune.com/sheetmusic.php#ensembles

http://www.bonezone.org/_Main/downloads/downloads_index.htm
ttf_timothy42b

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Rubank and Amsden's Famous are my favorites for legit duets. 
ttf_robcat2075

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Wow, a dad who will pick up the trombone and play duets with his son.  I wish I had had that.

When I recently set out to learn the cello i was attracted to the "Dotzauer Violoncellschule" method because almost every exercise has both a "student" part and a "teacher" part.  Duets! Which i plugged into my computer to play along with.

Of course, you will need to pick and choose among them for suitability but most are quite accessible and lie well within a normal trombone range.

It's Public Domain and free on the internet for you to download and print out.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Violoncellschule_%28Dotzauer,_Friedrich%29

And now I want to hear how he got kicked out of band in one month.  Image
ttf_timothy42b

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Thanks for those cello duets.  They look quite useful.
ttf_anonymous

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_anonymous »

the cornette method book also has some great duets
ttf_WaltTrombone

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_WaltTrombone »

I like using a French duet collection with my students, titled "Trombonades- 30 Petites Pieces." The composer is Yvonne Desportes, published by Billaudot, which may be distributed by Presser. Hickey's and Sheet Music Plus carry it. Simple rhythms, I don't think it goes over an F above the staff. Good practice tuning octaves, fifths, fourths. The tunes have a French modal flair to them, not usually what we hear around these environs. Charming little pieces!

There's an easy set of duets from Tommy Pederson, "10 Duets For Trombone." (Not to be confused with his harder stuff.) Range is maybe up to a G or Ab, simple rhythms, but put together in some tricky ways. No key signatures, he uses accidentals as needed. He modulates around so much, it would probably be more confusing to HAVE key signatures. Just a style of notation that most students are not used to. Some pretty bits, and some humor.

Hickey's has it here...
http://www.hickeys.com/products/003/sku03686.htm

This thread could come in handy for lots of folks, so I'm going to "sticky" it so that it stays up near the top. Keep those suggestions coming, folks!
ttf_AxSlinger7String

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_AxSlinger7String »

which cornet method?
ttf_BGuttman

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: AxSlinger7String on Mar 15, 2013, 07:54AMwhich cornet method?

It's by a guy named Cornette.  I believe it's published for Trumpet/Cornet and for Trombone.

ttf_bobg321

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_bobg321 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Mar 15, 2013, 08:16AMIt's by a guy named Cornette.  I believe it's published for Trumpet/Cornet and for Trombone.

yea there is a method by Cornette here is the link
http://www.hickeys.com/products/000/sku00451.htm
ttf_tenuki

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_tenuki »

Just a followup post.  He got into band this year and is doing great!  I'm not playing with him as often now because I'm usually making his supper during practice time since the neighbor complained about the noise after 8 ( geese ), but he has learned to practice well on his own and is sticking with it.  Those duets have done the trick!   Thanks!  Image

ttf_anonymous

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Maybe try the Voxman Selected Duets for Trombone?
ttf_robcat2075

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: tenuki on Nov 08, 2013, 07:15PMJust a followup post.  He got into band this year and is doing great! 

that's great to hear!

QuoteI'm not playing with him as often now because I'm usually making his supper during practice time since the neighbor complained about the noise after 8 ( geese ), but he has learned to practice well on his own and is sticking with it.  Those duets have done the trick!   Thanks!  Image
Geese?  How about a couple of bucket mutes?  Those aren't too fatal on the intonation and quiet things down a bit.
ttf_robcat2075

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I'll note that I have posted my MIDI play-along set of Dotzauer duet exercises in this thread.
ttf_flyinblonde

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_flyinblonde »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Mar 14, 2013, 12:20PMWow, a dad who will pick up the trombone and play duets with his son.  I wish I had had that.

When I recently set out to learn the cello i was attracted to the "Dotzauer Violoncellschule" method because almost every exercise has both a "student" part and a "teacher" part.  Duets! Which i plugged into my computer to play along with.

Of course, you will need to pick and choose among them for suitability but most are quite accessible and lie well within a normal trombone range.

It's Public Domain and free on the internet for you to download and print out.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Violoncellschule_%28Dotzauer,_Friedrich%29

And now I want to hear how he got kicked out of band in one month.  Image

And I want to hear how your cello is coming?!  LOL!

I actually considered learning the cello if I loose my wind and can't blow anymore.
But at one time I was studying classical (spanish) guitar, so that's my choice now.
ttf_dj kennedy

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

honk honk  !!!!!!!!!!
-----------
hal leonard has lotsa  duets
 and  some christmas   tunes are  fun 
   o blume 
------------------
  lotsa ez  duets 

Quote from: tenuki on Nov 08, 2013, 07:15PMJust a followup post.  He got into band this year and is doing great!  I'm not playing with him as often now because I'm usually making his supper during practice time since the neighbor complained about the noise after 8 ( geese ), but he has learned to practice well on his own and is sticking with it.  Those duets have done the trick!   Thanks!  Image

ttf_Steven

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: flyinblonde on Feb 03, 2014, 03:55PMI actually considered learning the cello if I loose my wind and can't blow anymore.
But at one time I was studying classical (spanish) guitar, so that's my choice now.

Are you planning on losing your wind?  Some years, ago at a Euphonium recital, I met a guy who started playing Euphonium when he was too old to continue playing cello.  (His problem was arthritis.)

Duets with a stronger player are a great way for young players to learn about intonation, projection, musicianship, etc..  I hope Tenuki and son are still doing well.
ttf_robcat2075

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

ttf_flyinblonde

beginner duet resources?

Wow, that impressive, Robert, you give me the hope that I learning a string instrument might not be impossible for someone used to brass.
I was doubly impressed that you could get sound out of weed-eater string!
Sounds much better with bona fide strings tho. Image

I have some respiratory issues, but I have no intention of giving up on the horn anytime soon.  The cello was/is my back-up plan for continuing to make music if it comes to that.  Although I do have a touch of arthritis in my hands also (I hate getting old!!!!).
At some point I may not be able to play anything but the radio, LOL!

Keep up the good work! Image
ttf_robcat2075

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: flyinblonde on Feb 14, 2014, 10:53AMWow, that impressive, Robert, you give me the hope that I learning a string instrument might not be impossible for someone used to brass.

Thanks! I did take two years of beginner viola lessons in college.  I didn't get any good at it but it did help inform the cello stuff now.

I will admit that progress is harder to come by after that first year. Image

If you're going to take up a string instrument, do the cello!  Way easier in terms of ergonomics than violin or viola and easier to carry around than a bass.

btw, if you ever want to see hysterical internet hand-wringing, panic and indignation... go to the internet cello forum and reveal that you're thinking of teaching yourself the cello and that you're not planning to spend $3000 on a starter instrument.  Image 

ttf_timothy42b

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Feb 14, 2014, 11:43AM
btw, if you ever want to see hysterical internet hand-wringing, panic and indignation... go to the internet cello forum and reveal that you're thinking of teaching yourself the cello and that you're not planning to spend $3000 on a starter instrument.  Image 

Got a link?

sounds a bit like the time a whole bunch of us were banned from the Starling Lovers Forum.

Turned out somebody checked and realized we were all members of the Airgun Forum. 
ttf_flyinblonde

beginner duet resources?

QuoteIf you're going to take up a string instrument, do the cello!  Way easier in terms of ergonomics than violin or viola and easier to carry around than a bass.
That was my thinking exactly!  It sits on the floor, takes physical little effort to play.  I have an old violin but even that gives me a bit of a back ache.
Besides, the timbre of the cello makes me think it is to strings what the trombone is to wind.  I played the guitar a bit in my youth (classical/spanich/flamenco) but I doubt any of that will carry into the cello.

I plan on looking on Craigslist for my first cello, and it will be a cheapie or a fixer, just like my first trombone when I decided to relearn it.
I think I have some weed-eater string around here somewhere too.  Image 
ttf_robcat2075

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

For duet seekers...

In my pursuit of method books built of student-teacher duets I came across this bassoon method...

Nouvelle Méthode de Basson by Etienne Otzi

the useful duets begin around pg 41.

Some will be over-technical but many will be suitable for trombone playing.
ttf_patrickosmith

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_patrickosmith »

I came across these Rochut Counterparts:

http://www.tom-ervin.com/twenty-counterparts/

If you have them, I'd like your opinion.
ttf_Torobone

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_Torobone »

Quote from: patrickosmith on May 08, 2015, 03:49AMI came across these Rochut Counterparts:

http://www.tom-ervin.com/twenty-counterparts/

If you have them, I'd like your opinion.

I have these counterparts. They are awesome, although they are not a really beginner resource. They are meant to make things interesting for the teacher of a student using Rochut.

That said, my friends and I have a hoot playing them. Rochut and a good time! Who knew?
ttf_Nanook

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_Nanook »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Feb 14, 2014, 07:32AMOK... you did ask!

Day 1

http://www.youtube.com/v/9CpO_ypKpEI

Day 183

http://www.youtube.com/v/DRjBiNvWvSs

Day365

http://www.youtube.com/v/B4I7BYC5kGs

Sweet what a great progress....I've watch some of your other videos and they are very good...I'm going to be at my one year anniversery on Nov 16 I'm happ with what I've accomplished so far, with a great deal of help and encouragement from this forum....I Thank You All
ttf_robcat2075

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: Nanook on Nov 12, 2015, 11:50AM...I'm going to be at my one year anniversery on Nov 16 I'm happ with what I've accomplished so far, with a great deal of help and encouragement from this forum....I Thank You All

Hooray! I'm glad you're enjoying the trombone!
ttf_robcat2075

beginner duet resources?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: Nanook on Nov 12, 2015, 11:50AM...I'm going to be at my one year anniversery on Nov 16 I'm happ with what I've accomplished so far, with a great deal of help and encouragement from this forum....I Thank You All

Hooray! I'm glad you're enjoying the trombone!

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”