Mute stand recommendation?

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Can anyone recommend a good mute stand/holder?

I need something that will help with fast changes.
ttf_Thomas Matta

Post by ttf_Thomas Matta »

I don't care for the "stands" on the market for trombone mutes. I find them cumbersome, and a bother.

I do, however, make occasional use of a shelf (made for percussionists) that clamps on the music stand post.  Lots of varieties out there.

Otherwise, I usually (most often) use the "hold in the bend of the back of the knee" method discussed in many threads here on TTF.
ttf_Lawrie

Post by ttf_Lawrie »

After a few iterations I ended up making this.  It goes on my 'bone stand (works very well with the heavy stands that I've assembled from cymbal stand bases).

The rear edge has a reinforced section that hinges open to make it easy to fit to the stand upright (held closed by a small bolt), the mute holes are lined with sections of plastic plumbing fittings that I've cut to fit.  The "table" is 3 ply with timber reinforcing strips glued and screwed underneath to prevent it from flexing and to give it strength.  The edges have plastic covers made from the strips normally used for joining panels of the ply the desk is made from.

I use it so that it extends along my left side and the mutes basically fall under my hand.  I also make sure one leg of the 'bone stand extends underneath it for extra security, not that it needs it Image

It's a bit low on occasions when I must stand, but is unsurpassed when I'm seated.
ttf_WaltTrombone

Post by ttf_WaltTrombone »

I have one of the Hercules mute holders.

http://www.herculesstands.com/band/HA100.html

Works pretty well, it fits trumpet and trombone mutes, might be a bit undersized for bass mutes. (I haven't tried it on a bass bone gig.) The advantage to a mute holder like this is that you grab it at the same end that you need to hold to insert it into the bell. Saves a wee bit of time, and can also be handy in a crowded pit. I  tried clamping it onto the left chair leg, but it doesn't work on square tubing, only round.
ttf_baileyman

Post by ttf_baileyman »

Quote from: Lawrie on Apr 18, 2013, 07:40PMAfter a few iterations I ended up making this.  It goes on my 'bone stand (works very well with the heavy stands that I've assembled from cymbal stand bases).

The rear edge has a reinforced section that hinges open to make it easy to fit to the stand upright (held closed by a small bolt), the mute holes are lined with sections of plastic plumbing fittings that I've cut to fit.  The "table" is 3 ply with timber reinforcing strips glued and screwed underneath to prevent it from flexing and to give it strength.  The edges have plastic covers made from the strips normally used for joining panels of the ply the desk is made from.

I use it so that it extends along my left side and the mutes basically fall under my hand.  I also make sure one leg of the 'bone stand extends underneath it for extra security, not that it needs it Image

It's a bit low on occasions when I must stand, but is unsurpassed when I'm seated.

Nicely done homemade stuff!

Just wondering, where do you put the plunger?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: baileyman on Apr 22, 2013, 06:09AM...

Just wondering, where do you put the plunger?

I like to wear it on my head Image Image Image Image (just kidding)

When I have a collection of mutes I will sometimes put the plunger on top of one I use rarely (like the ClearTone).  It doesn't work well for the one I cut the inner lip on, but you can also hang it from the screw that holds the two halves of the Hamilton trombone stand together.
ttf_lniehaus

Post by ttf_lniehaus »

I bought a double peg K&M clarinet/flute stand.
The mutes are upside down and easy to grab.

K&M also makes a 4 peg stand(4 corners).
ttf_Lawrie

Post by ttf_Lawrie »

Quote from: baileyman on Apr 22, 2013, 06:09AMNicely done homemade stuff!
Thank you Image

QuoteJust wondering, where do you put the plunger?
I usually sit the plunger, hanging by its lip, on my music stand - over the height clamp bolt.

Or sometimes it just sits on a rarely used mute allsame as BGuttman - depends on whether I'm sitting or standing and how many mutes are out.

The holder manages my bucket, cup, straight, pixie, solotone, harmon etc. in any combination of 4 (well, almost - the small hole is specifically for the pixie, so any combination of 3 plus pixie if required), plus plunger.

If I ever need more mutes out (hasn't happened yet but you never know) I also have one of the Hercules clamp on ones linked to above - I find it a little small for the bigger mutes (bucket, harmon etc.) but I can at least put another couple in it if I need to.
ttf_fluor

Post by ttf_fluor »

Quote from: lniehaus on Apr 22, 2013, 06:54AMI bought a double peg K&M clarinet/flute stand.

THIS I need to try!!!!
ttf_jmtheob

Post by ttf_jmtheob »

I didn't like any of the ones I saw for sale for my bass mutes, which I only need one at a time, so I bought a 3" lab burner ring, an "S" hook and a big, strong spring clamp and made my own. Total cost about $10.  It works fine. I'll try to take a picture if anyone is interested. Image
ttf_brucolli

Post by ttf_brucolli »

In the ensemble I play in, we have padded wooden boxes for mute transport. If need fast mute changes I simply turn one of these boxes over and put profiled foam rubber on it. I lay the mutes on their sides, in a row, pointing towards me, the box is on my LEFT side. The mutes are about as high as my chair. If I have a lot of mutes, I use two boxes. I just shove them in or out of the bell with about the least distance possible.

You save a lot of time if you don't have to turn the mutes around. That's why I don't like mute stands. I always have the mutes in the same order so I can grab them blindly if I'm counting complex stuff and have to watch the conductor.

Bruce
ttf_WaltTrombone

Post by ttf_WaltTrombone »

Quote from: lniehaus on Apr 22, 2013, 06:54AMI bought a double peg K&M clarinet/flute stand.

I also have a 4 peg stand, not by K&M, got it at Dillon's. It's ok for getting the mutes, but slow putting them back on the rack. For much the same reason as Bruce (Brucolli) said, you have to pay too much attention to slipping the mute over the peg.

I was using my Hercules rack last night, needed straight, cup, plunger, and Harmon. It was pretty crowded. Sometimes I wish I had the room to do what Bruce does with his mute boxes. Other times, I just sit the Mute Bag Of Doom next to my chair, partially open, with the mutes stuck in upside down, held up by the edges of the zipper opening. I usually end up doing that if I just need 1 or 2 mutes.
ttf_wesleyg

Post by ttf_wesleyg »

I have a Jo Ral Trombone Mute Holder which works pretty well.  It attaches to the Music Stand post and will fit just about any of them.  It folds down nicely and fits in my Mute bag along with my Tom Crown straight and cup mutes and my H&B Wa Wa mute (plus cork grease).  Oh, my mute bag is a Stanley 12" Tool bag I got at Walmart for $9.88 (other sizes available).  Here is a link http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-Black-and-Decker-12-Tool-Bag-Black-and-Yellow/19415253  It is quite sturdy and does the trick.  I also have a Protec bag for my other H&B mutes, but the smaller one above is used 95% of the time.
ttf_jmtheob

Post by ttf_jmtheob »

Quote from: jmtheob on Apr 23, 2013, 05:26AMI didn't like any of the ones I saw for sale for my bass mutes, which I only need one at a time, so I bought a 3" lab burner ring, an "S" hook and a big, strong spring clamp and made my own. Total cost about $10.  It works fine. I'll try to take a picture if anyone is interested. Image
I tried putting up images but for some reason my post isn't here.  Will try again later today.

(picture added by Moderator)

Here are some pictures to show how it's done.  I had to put electrical tape around the metal parts to prevent clanking, but otherwise it works well.
ttf_donn

Post by ttf_donn »

One of them went to the wrong thread, and is now for sale along with a mouthpiece.
ttf_sommerfeld

Post by ttf_sommerfeld »

I've had the Jo Ral mute holder (lightweight plastic) for a few years.  It's got 3 rings - 2 x 3", 1 x 2.5".  It's OK with multiple tenor mutes but is little too wobbly with some bass trombone mutes.  (Jo Ral bass trombone straight is ok, the cup mute is too big & heavy for it).

I just picked up a Hercules HA100 (foam-covered metal); haven't used it for real yet.  It's much more robust but it's really sized for trumpet mutes.  The rings are a bit on the small side - 1 x 3", 2 x 2.5", 1 x ~2"; it holds bass trombone mutes fine in the larger rings but getting them in & out may be too slow, and it doesn't really have the "wingspan" to hold more than two mutes if one of them is a cup mute.  A variant HA100 with bigger rings on longer arms is closer to what I'm looking for....
ttf_Big Daddy K

Post by ttf_Big Daddy K »

Cut some holes in a spare piece of wood, spray painted in black, attached a large L bracket and clamped onto music stand. Bucket mute can hang from a hook on one side.

http://postimg.org/image/3o5y75kwl/

http://postimg.org/image/iy3rsgkxr/
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Best I've seen is a table. Lindberg had one at the Aho concert. It had three mutes and a sackbut on it.

I've also seen them mounted on mic stands, especially plunger mutes. Hands free.
ttf_Hicks

Post by ttf_Hicks »

Can anyone comment on the suitability of the Hercules mute holder for bass trom mutes?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hercules-Stands-HA100-Mute-Holder/dp/B005I7JDBW

ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: Hicks on Jul 24, 2017, 07:46AMCan anyone comment on the suitability of the Hercules mute holder for bass trom mutes?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hercules-Stands-HA100-Mute-Holder/dp/B005I7JDBW

Yes, I use this literally at every rehearsal and performance.  The longer holder with the smaller hole is good for a plunger, the other 2 hold my Wick Straight and Cup mute with no problem.  You can pop out the little plastic tray and that can hold a mute, too.   Once I started using this, I can't imagine how I got along without it.
ttf_Hicks

Post by ttf_Hicks »

Quote from: tbathras on Jul 24, 2017, 07:59AMYes, I use this literally at every rehearsal and performance.  The longer holder with the smaller hole is good for a plunger, the other 2 hold my Wick Straight and Cup mute with no problem.  You can pop out the little plastic tray and that can hold a mute, too.

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.

ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

I recently got a Mute Mate. Rubber coated heavy wire, three loops to hold my cup, straight, and Harmon (or Solotone). Also has a bent rod to hang my plunger on. It clips with a clamp with a HEAVY spring. It pivots, so you can clamp it to a chair leg, music stand, etc. In a pit, I use the bottom half a Hamilton stand to clamp it to. Keeps mutes close, and at the right height for grabbing. It also folds up and stores in a drawstring bag.

For fast mute changes, I still use the "bend of the back of my knee" method mentioned earlier.

Jerry Walker
ttf_ssking2b

Post by ttf_ssking2b »

I am using a MUTE MATE for trombone.  It folds up and goes in a bag in my mute bag.  Available on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mute-Mate-Tenor-Trombone-Mute-Holder-/351444275950?hash=item51d3b612ee

Works great for the tenor and bass mutes.  I use it all the time for both!  Here is a link to the inventor's site:

http://www.trumpetbook.com/mute-mate-mute-holders.html

Works very well for me and clip on my music stand.  If I am in a situation that has a big band front, or some type of stand that it wont clip to, I bring an extra bone stand  and clip it on that. 
ttf_EdGrissom

Post by ttf_EdGrissom »

Quote from: sommerfeld on May 01, 2013, 12:20PMI've had the Jo Ral mute holder (lightweight plastic) for a few years.  It's got 3 rings - 2 x 3", 1 x 2.5".  It's OK with multiple tenor mutes but is little too wobbly with some bass trombone mutes.  (Jo Ral bass trombone straight is ok, the cup mute is too big & heavy for it).

I just picked up a Hercules HA100 (foam-covered metal); haven't used it for real yet.  It's much more robust but it's really sized for trumpet mutes.  The rings are a bit on the small side - 1 x 3", 2 x 2.5", 1 x ~2"; it holds bass trombone mutes fine in the larger rings but getting them in & out may be too slow, and it doesn't really have the "wingspan" to hold more than two mutes if one of them is a cup mute.  A variant HA100 with bigger rings on longer arms is closer to what I'm looking for....

I use the Hercules model also.  I stretched the loops open a little bit more and it holds bass mutes a little better.  I also like the clamp on types because sometimes a heavy big band book will cause the music stand to slide down.  The mute holder can clamp on the inner pole and hold it up. 
ttf_EdGrissom

Post by ttf_EdGrissom »

Quote from: sommerfeld on May 01, 2013, 12:20PMI've had the Jo Ral mute holder (lightweight plastic) for a few years.  It's got 3 rings - 2 x 3", 1 x 2.5".  It's OK with multiple tenor mutes but is little too wobbly with some bass trombone mutes.  (Jo Ral bass trombone straight is ok, the cup mute is too big & heavy for it).

I use the Hercules model also.  I stretched the loops open a little bit more and it holds bass mutes a little better.  I also like the clamp on types because sometimes a heavy big band book will cause the music stand to slide down.  The mute holder can clamp on the inner pole and hold it up. 

Return to “Accessories”