TTF "Read Da Book": The Christian Bible

ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: drizabone on Jul 13, 2017, 12:27AMAt the time there was.

I think the expression is meant to mean that everyone will know that it is YHWH who is God

Unless I'm misremembering, God is his title and YHWH is his name. 
ttf_drizabone

Post by ttf_drizabone »

Yeah that's right.

YHWH is his name.

El = God tells us what he his.  The calls other named entities gods too, especially in Psalms.  eg Baal and idols, but they are false or not of the same order as YHWH.

So ISTM part of the reason YHWH is dispensing justice is so that everyone will know that He is God and that the god's that the nations worship aren't.
ttf_drizabone

Post by ttf_drizabone »

Ezekiel 37 text

Highlights

- God will bring Israel back to life

Summary

- In a vision, God sets Ezekiel down in a valley full of dry bones. He asks Ezekiel if these bones can live, and Ezekiel replies, saying that only God himself knows.  - Right answer.
 - God tells Ezekiel to prophesy, telling the bones that they'll live, that the breath of God will enter them, causing them to put on sinews (tendons and ligaments) and flesh again.
 - So Ezekiel prophesies and the bones all rattle together, forming skeletons. They have flesh and muscle grow on them, forming complete human bodies, but they're still not alive, with no divine breath in them.
 - God tells Ezekiel to prophesy for the breath to enter the bodies, and when Ezekiel does so, they all come alive.
 - God explains that these are the bones of the House of Israel. The people believe that their fate is sealed and that there'll be no restoration of their kingdom and their land. But there will, and this is the meaning of the dry bones coming to life.
 - God says that he will put my Spirit within them, and they shall live, and will place them in their own land. Then they shall know that I am the Lord

- God tells Ezekiel to take two sticks and make them into one stick (by binding them together).
 - He's supposed to write on one stick that it represents Judah, and on the other that it represents Joseph (or Ephraim) and the Israelites associated with it. (That kingdom had been long gone courtesy of the Assyrian conquest.)
 - God says the meaning of this is that these two peoples will be made into one. He will lead them both back into their lands, making them into a single kingdom.
 - This time they'll be obedient, observing all of his laws and giving up idol worship.
 - David will be their king, and they'll all have one ruler. They'll never leave the land again, and their children will inhabit it forever.
 - God will dwell with them, blessing them and making sure they multiply.

Questions and Observations

1) Hi Bill, this is God being good and gracious. 

2) He's still doing stuff so that people will know that he is Lord.  It seems pretty important to him.  I'll have to remember that.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: drizabone on Jul 13, 2017, 08:02PM1) Hi Bill, this is God being good and gracious.  That's like saying that if I knock someone down viciously, then after some time come back and give them a hand up I'm being good and gracious.

I used to know a kid that got beaten pretty regularly by his dad for supposedly doing 'something' wrong.  Poor kid never knew what to expect.  A few hours after each beating his dad would try to make amends by being 'nice' to him.  Bring him to the pool, or out for an ice cream, etc...  It kind of sounds like that situation.  Back then I never thought of his dad as being good and gracious.  I despised him.

Quote2) He's still doing stuff so that people will know that he is Lord.  It seems pretty important to him.  I'll have to remember that.
Yes, he still is.  Almost like his tactics are not working.  Hey, didn't God claim that bringing the Israelites down in the first place was going to show them who was boss?
ttf_drizabone

Post by ttf_drizabone »

Quote from: BillO on Jul 14, 2017, 08:52AMThat's like saying that if I knock someone down viciously, then after some time come back and give them a hand up I'm being good and gracious.

I used to know a kid that got beaten pretty regularly by his dad for supposedly doing 'something' wrong.  Poor kid never knew what to expect.  A few hours after each beating his dad would try to make amends by being 'nice' to him.  Bring him to the pool, or out for an ice cream, etc...  It kind of sounds like that situation.  Back then I never thought of his dad as being good and gracious.  I despised him.

I don't think either of the situations you compare God too are the same.

God first chose Abraham and made a covenant to give him a land and riches, then provided for them in the famine, rescued them from slavery, and gave them a set of rules so that they would know was expected of them.  They agreed to the relationship, but then betrayed YHWH and went off after other gods and didn't look after each other.  God warned them and punished them according to their agreement.  Now despite the fact that they continually fail to keep the agreement he is going to change them so that they will want to stay faithful to him so that he will be able to bless them.

ISTM that you think I see what happened and make up a way to see it in a good light, while you're being objective.  Is that right?
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: drizabone on Jul 14, 2017, 06:40PMI don't think either of the situations you compare God too are the same.The first one may have been a stretch.

QuoteGod first chose Abraham and made a covenant to give him a land and riches, then provided for them in the famine, rescued them from slavery, and gave them a set of rules so that they would know was expected of them.  They agreed to the relationship, but then betrayed YHWH and went off after other gods and didn't look after each other.  God warned them and punished them according to their agreement.  Now despite the fact that they continually fail to keep the agreement he is going to change them so that they will want to stay faithful to him so that he will be able to bless them.How is this substantially different than the implied covenant between a father and his child?  Just a bit of news though, they (and I include Christians, Jews and Muslims) are still not keeping the faith.

QuoteISTM that you think I see what happened and make up a way to see it in a good light, while you're being objective.  Is that right?Not at all Martin.  I am no more objective than you are with respect to religion.  Forgive me if I made that impression - it's just no so.

I'd have to be Larry Ellison to be that hubristic (is that a word?).

You don't really think that us science nerds are all-in on anything, do you?  That goes against everything we stand for.  Which brings up the point that the only thing we really stand for is consistency.  And what I mean by that is that any answers worth their salt must be self consistent.  The truth is I'm just all-out on religion and God which are anything but self consistent (no faith here).  I don't pretend to know all the answers by a long shot, but I'm pretty sure which answers don't cut muster with me.
ttf_drizabone

Post by ttf_drizabone »

Quote from: BillO on Jul 14, 2017, 08:54PMThe first one may have been a stretch.
How is this substantially different than the implied covenant between a father and his child?  Just a bit of news though, they (and I include Christians, Jews and Muslims) are still not keeping the faith.

I would see the difference being that Israel accepted a specified covenant: they would obey the set law and God would bless them.
The situation between the farther and child is different in that: the child never got to choose to enter the relationship and the father makes up the rules as he goes.

Not at all Martin.  I am no more objective than you are with respect to religion.  Forgive me if I made that impression - it's just no so.

I'd have to be Larry Ellison to be that hubristic (is that a word?).

You don't really think that us science nerds are all-in on anything, do you?  That goes against everything we stand for.  Which brings up the point that the only thing we really stand for is consistency.  And what I mean by that is that any answers worth their salt must be self consistent.  The truth is I'm just all-out on religion and God which are anything but self consistent (no faith here).  I don't pretend to know all the answers by a long shot, but I'm pretty sure which answers don't cut muster with me.

ok that's good to know.  I agree with you and try to maintain self-consistency. 

I see we differ on the self-consistency of the christian worldview though.
ttf_drizabone

Post by ttf_drizabone »

Ezekiel 38 text
Ezekiel 39 text

Highlights

- God v Gog

Summary

Chapter 38
 - God orders Ezekiel to prophesy against some fearsome ruler named Gog, who rules over the mysterious land of Magog and is chief prince of Meshech and Tubal.
 - When Gog goes on the march with a massive army, God's going to put a hook in his mouth and lead the whole army back where it came from.
 - That includes all the armies that will side with Gog, including Persia, Ethiopia, Put, Gomer, and people from the distant north.
 - God predicts that, in future years, Gog will lead armies against the restored nation of Israel.
 - Gog's armies will come like a storm or a cloud covering the land, after Gog is evilly inspired to invade and plunder the defenseless towns in the land—provoking other nations like Sheba, Dedan, and Tarshish (in addition to Israel).
 - God will bring Gog out of the far north to invade Israel, but only in order to demonstrate his power and holiness against Gog.
 - When Gog invades, he'll encounter the wrath of God in full force.
 - The birds, fish, and animals will all tremble and quake at the vengeful presence of God.
 - All the humans will be afraid too, as cliffs and walls and mountains tumble down.
 - Everyone's swords will be against Gog, and God will send down pestilence, torrential rain, fire, and sulfur.
 - All the nations will see God's holiness and greatness.

Chapter 39
 - God picks up where he left off about Gog.
 - He's going to lead Gog into invading Israel, and then destroy Gog and make his armies food for birds.
 - God's going to send fire against Gog, and also against the people who live in the coastlands.
 - He'll make sure Israel reveres his holy name and that it isn't profaned anymore. All the nations will know that he's God.
 - The people of Israel will make fires from the dropped weapons of Gog's armies for seven years. They won't need to cut down trees for wood, they'll just use the plunder.
 - Gog and his horde will be buried in a place called the Valley of Travelers in Israel, which will be aptly renamed "The Horde of Gog."
 - It'll take the House of Israel seven months to bury all the corpses from the invading armies. Whenever someone locates a dead guy's bone, they'll mark it for pick-up and burial.
 - God instructs Ezekiel to call all the wild animals and birds to come and have a great feast: devouring the dead bodies of the invaders.
 - They'll gorge themselves on fat and get drunk on blood.
 - This is how God will display his power and glory to the nations of the world.
 - Carrion birds seem to be doing pretty well in the Book of Ezekiel.
 - The chapter ends with God promising again to restore Israel and Judah.
 - God hid his face from them and let them get attacked and sent into captivity for a while.
 - But now, he's ready to restore them. They'll forget their shame and treachery, and God won't leave anyone behind.
 - He'll pour out his spirit on them, and they'll know that he's God.

1) I have no idea who Gog is or where Magog is.  I think that its still future. But I'm sure you can find articles on the Web from people who KNOW.

2) Its apparently hebrew poetry, which "is fond of repetition and delights to revert to previous statements and enlarge on them, even though the result is to destroy all sense of consecutive arrangement."

3) My concentrated summary:
  - God's people will be attacked
  - God will defeat them all by himself: his people are in the naughty corner
  - God's people will get to plunder and clean up
  - God will restore his people and make everything right.
ttf_drizabone

Post by ttf_drizabone »

Ezekiel 40 text
Ezekiel 41 text
Ezekiel 42 text
Ezekiel 43 text
Ezekiel 44 text
Ezekiel 45 text
Ezekiel 46 text
Ezekiel 47 text
Ezekiel 48 text

Highlights

- Israel and the Temple restored: God returns

Summary

- In the twenty-fifth year of the exile, in a vision God takes Ezekiel to Jerusalem, near the site of the now ruined Temple.
 - He sits Ezekiel on a high mountain, and a guy who looks like he's made of bronze shows up.
 - Bronze dude has a linen cord and a measuring reed. He tells Ezekiel to remember everything he's about to show him.
 - He launches into describing and visually revealing the structure of the new Temple complex. He provides detailed measurements - all measured in cubits.

- the Ezekiel sees and hears God returning to the temple.
 - God announces that he will rein forever and his people will be faithful
 - God says that the purpose of all this is so that Israel will be ashamed of their sin and will repent and do the right thing
 - God gives Ezekiel detailed plans of the alter laws, ordinances and offerings for the temple.
 - The sons of Zadok get to take over the important priestly duties because the rest of the Levites were unfaithful
 - Property is allocated for the Lord and for all of Israel

- A river will flow out of the temple to the Dead Sea which will become fresh.  It will give life abundant life
 - The extent of the land is specified so that it can be divided fairly among the tribes and immigrants (refugees?)

- The name of the city will be "The Lord is There"

1) Sin has been dealt with in the previous chapter so God can restore his house, worship and people.and then return.  And everyone will live happily ever after.

2) They will only have a prince.  I take it that this is because God will be their king.

3) 25th year of exile: I think this is 10-12 years after Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed.

4) The passage doesn't specify when all this will happen.

5) I guess that the detail of the temple is significant, but I think we can skip it for our summary.  But I won't be upset if anyone wants to fill it in.

6) Revelation uses a lot of the same imagery as Ezekiel.

7) This is not a commandment to build the temple. it just was.  The purpose of the passage/vision is: that Israel will be ashamed of their sin and will repent and do the right thing

ttf_drizabone

Post by ttf_drizabone »

Ezekiel Summary Summary

- Ezekiel is introduced to God in a fantastic vision where he is told he will be a watchman for Israel
 - Israel is judged for its idolatry and is exiled. 
 - God leaves the temple and it is destroyed
 - The nations are punished for worshipping false gods or thinking that they are bigger than God
 - Sin is dealt with
 - Israel is restored: the temple is rebuilt: God returns
ttf_John the Theologian

Post by ttf_John the Theologian »

For anyone interested in understanding the temple theme throughout the Bible, especially how these chapters relate to the NT, Prof Greg Beale's work is the most comprehensive.  His views are not new-- they have been around since the early Christian church-- but he develops the theme the most of any scholar I know. 

He discusses it in his big work on biblical theology and in both smaller and larger monographs on the theme.

Here are some links:

https://www.amazon.com/New-Testament-Biblical-Theology-Unfolding/dp/0801026970/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/Temple-Churchs-Mission-Biblical-Theology/dp/0830826181/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/God-Dwells-Among-Us-Expanding/dp/0830844147/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0830844147&pd_rd_r=TYH6CDQS605HRH17CM9K&pd_rd_w=6okyo&pd_rd_wg=l9EaY&psc=1&refRID=TYH6CDQS605HRH17CM9K

ttf_MoominDave

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

Sorry I've been a bit absent Martin, I've not lost interest. The eye problems I mentioned last time I posted in this thread are still causing major issues, and there are associated fatigue and weakness symptoms that can be quite debilitating. Couple of things have been diagnosed, but my right eye vision is still all grey and fuzzy, making the concentration needed to do this justice a struggle. Optic neuritis is the eye diagnosis, for anyone that's interested.
ttf_drizabone

Post by ttf_drizabone »

I hope and pray that you will recover and that there will be no lasting effects.

I'll carry on and you catch up when you can.

Leave a stub for your traditional end of book summary
ttf_John the Theologian

Post by ttf_John the Theologian »

Let me 2nd what Martin has said.

So sorry that you've had to experience the eye problem.
ttf_ddickerson

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

Let me third that! Praying for a successful recovery!
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

I can empathize.  My right eye has been technically blind for some time, so I have an idea what your going through WRT the vision problems.

Rest, take it easy and stay away from those books for a while!!!  I know how hard that can be.

I have some concern as to the cause.  Let us know, if you wish, as to your progress.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

I can empathize.  My right eye has been technically blind for some time, so I have an idea what your going through WRT the vision problems.

Rest, take it easy and stay away from those books for a while!!!  I know how hard that can be.

I have some concern as to the cause.  Let us know, if you wish, as to your progress.

Return to “Chit-Chat”