What is the best microphone setup for bass trombone?

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

At the moment I record with a Zoom H2n, but I want to upgrade to capture a more full and somewhat tasteful edginess in the trigger register.  What mics do you record bass trombone with and how do you set them up?
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: doublepedalBb442 on Nov 05, 2016, 12:28PMAt the moment I record with a Zoom H2n, but I want to upgrade to capture a more full and somewhat tasteful edginess in the trigger register.  What mics do you record bass trombone with and how do you set them up?
The only microphones I have are Shure SM58s.  Not ideal, but they are what are in my closet.

I just put the bell about 1ft away and play.

Again, probably not ideal, but it works for what I do, and I'm the only one that listens to my recordings.

Meh.

ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: BillO on Nov 05, 2016, 12:33PMI just put the bell about 1ft away and play.

I've found that bass gets a nice, warm, vocal sound (that can really bark/speak well in a big band mix) if it's miced pretty closely, like from 2-3.5ft ish. I unfortunately haven't experimented anywhere NEAR enough with this (I will in 2017!). But I've use a couple of different mics and for the moment, something *like* and SM58 does the job quite well. Solo-work might require a mic that gives more detail.
ttf_sowilson

Post by ttf_sowilson »

A ribbon mic works very well on trombones - something like a Beyer M160.  Large dynamic mics work well too - EV RE-20, Beyer M88, Sure SM-7B. Of course a large condenser works well - U-87.
ttf_pedro.bassclef

Post by ttf_pedro.bassclef »

IF and obviously only IF you have the means, it is nice to have at least a couple of distinct mics in order to get more information and then mix it down. You can have one at close range to catch the trombone only, and one far enough to catch the room and the projected sound. It works very well if you are patient enough to make it work.
ttf_JBledsoe

Post by ttf_JBledsoe »

Upgrading from a Zoom H2n to standalone microphones is going to take a considerable monetary investment to get results from component gear that exceeds what you're getting from the Zoom. I'll go over these with extreme brevity so you can evaluate if looking for microphones is still something you want to pursue.

Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) - While you could find a way around having this, without it you're investing a lot of money for nothing. There are some very inexpensive (and even free) DAWs, but you'll still have a significant investment of your time to learn how they work and set up for the best sound.

Audio Interface - An all encompassing audio interface will be your most cost effective starting point, even if that is something like the Zoom H4n, which can also function as a standalone recorder. In order to pull a decent quality from the external microphone, this will need to be of decent quality.

XLR Cables - Getting signal from the mic to the interface.

Microphone - the industry standard for trombone is a ribbon mic, which are very expensive for a good iteration. Large diaphragm dynamics are the second best choice, in my opinion. RE-20, MD421, M88. I'm not a big fan on condensers on horns, but if you're mixing them in with another mic you can really add some color/clarity to the sound.

For a single decent mic, plus interface, mic stand, XLR cables, and DAW...you're looking at an entry level commitment of about 500 dollars. 
ttf_JBledsoe

Post by ttf_JBledsoe »

Upgrading from a Zoom H2n to standalone microphones is going to take a considerable monetary investment to get results from component gear that exceeds what you're getting from the Zoom. I'll go over these with extreme brevity so you can evaluate if looking for microphones is still something you want to pursue.

Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) - While you could find a way around having this, without it you're investing a lot of money for nothing. There are some very inexpensive (and even free) DAWs, but you'll still have a significant investment of your time to learn how they work and set up for the best sound.

Audio Interface - An all encompassing audio interface will be your most cost effective starting point, even if that is something like the Zoom H4n, which can also function as a standalone recorder. In order to pull a decent quality from the external microphone, this will need to be of decent quality.

XLR Cables - Getting signal from the mic to the interface.

Microphone - the industry standard for trombone is a ribbon mic, which are very expensive for a good iteration. Large diaphragm dynamics are the second best choice, in my opinion. RE-20, MD421, M88. I'm not a big fan on condensers on horns, but if you're mixing them in with another mic you can really add some color/clarity to the sound.

For a single decent mic, plus interface, mic stand, XLR cables, and DAW...you're looking at an entry level commitment of about 500 dollars. 

Return to “Technology”