Concerto for Trombone Performance

ttf_TomBone4

Post by ttf_TomBone4 »

Hey all,

Last week my query was about performing inn 2 days, with an easy solo.

Now, I'm playing the first movement of Concerto For Trombone by Rimsky Korsakov.

The performance is in April, so I have plenty of time.

Any tips for digging in and making it awesome?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

If you can find it, listen to Viktor Batashov with the USSR Defense Military Band.

The first movement has to sparkle.  The arpeggios need to be like roman candles. 

Make sure the movement has contrasting loud and soft moments and isn't too bombastic.

If you have an F-attachment, playing some Bb's in T3 can make some of the passages a little easier.

It's a great piece.  Enjoy it.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Lindberg's recording in "Windpower!" is pretty awesome. He plays what is written except for his own cadenza, and it is with a wind band.

Alessi recorded a version with a wind band in Florida that is also spectacular, but he changes what is written in the part.

I would listen to it a lot, get a midi of the accompaniment to play along with, and memorize it.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: BGuttman on Nov 07, 2016, 11:29AM

Make sure the movement has contrasting loud and soft moments and isn't too bombastic.

Bombastic would be authentic for Russian music of this period, though. 
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Listen to as many recordings/versions as you can....learn it off by heart...have some lessons with a pro player...and enjoy your moment when it comes!
ttf_eightyeightH

Post by ttf_eightyeightH »

Quote from: BGuttman on Nov 07, 2016, 11:29AMIf you can find it, listen to Viktor Batashov with the USSR Defense Military Band.

The first movement has to sparkle.  The arpeggios need to be like roman candles. 

If you have an F-attachment, playing some Bb's in T3 can make some of the passages a little easier.

It's a great piece.  Enjoy it.

I know the piece is not regarded as RK's finest hour, but I love the idea of Roman candles. I would look at every direction on every note, it's quite a prescriptive piece, and play it as written.
ttf_sonicsilver

Post by ttf_sonicsilver »

Quote from: TomBone4 on Nov 07, 2016, 11:21AMAny tips for digging in and making it awesome?

Play it with good rhythmic sense, good intonation and a suitable sense of sound and style.

The last two are largely up to you. There's not much point copying some other big name trombonist. You have just as much to express musically as they do, if you do some research and develop some artistic ideas of your own. Definitely listen to some other works by Rimsky-Korsakov. Find out what makes him sound like him and see if you can find any of his fingerprints in the trombone concerto.
ttf_TomBone4

Post by ttf_TomBone4 »

UPDATE

The solo was yesterday, and I was very nervous as I went in...

I could never hit the high Bb at the end, and many of the g's were iffy.

So I went in, and of course, the judge had to be a trombonist who had played the piece for his masters degree.

I played it, (roughly) but some how ended up hitting the Bb almost perfectly.  I have no clue how it happened.  But I did, and I received a "superior" rating, which was the highest!

Thanks for your help.

Thomas
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Congratulations.  Keep up the good work. Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Congratulations.  Keep up the good work. Image

Return to “Performance”