Performance Major

ttf_Emisaumell

Performance Major

Post by ttf_Emisaumell »

I am split as to what I want to study. I just completed my first semester college as classical trombone major. I love listening to recordings of orchestras and classical music. And I like to playing that as well. But I get a better fulfillment playing jazz. I love playing in big bands and combos. Only thing that scares me to commit is spending the next couple of years playinf ensemble music I don't like.
ttf_BGuttman

Performance Major

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

One of the downsides of being a professional musician is that you have to play music you don't like because if you don't you won't eat.  Very few players have the luxury of picking and choosing what they play; especially in a Professional Orchestra.  And the real challenge from this is to make it sound like you understand and love the music.

If you don't want to play stuff you don't like, major in something else and play in a Community group.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Performance Major

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

This reads like a bit of a non issue really.... if you love listening, playing, and have completed some of your orchestral focused degree stick with it and take the jazz opportunities where they come and when you can fit them in. Chances are you probably feel like you get more fulfillment from your jazz gigs because you dont do it full time, but if you did, chances are you would miss regular playing in the orchestra.
ttf_vegasbound

Performance Major

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Stay on the course you are on, become the best musician and trombone player you can be......then the music will take care of itself be that commercial or classical....if your working as a pro you will just play what is in front of you!
ttf_bonenick

Performance Major

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on Jan 02, 2017, 12:26AMChances are you probably feel like you get more fulfillment from your jazz gigs because you dont do it full time, but if you did, chances are you would miss regular playing in the orchestra.
Don't do my mistake. Do as much and as different stuff you can. I prepared for orchestral trumpet player, but in reality I played classical music on regular basis only 2 years in a symphony orchestra. Now I have to play most of the time everything but classical (I play classical as well, but not much. My C trumpet remained in his case for the last 5-6 years, it get very randomly used).

Here am I now, learning the trombone, trying to play some jazz standarts and love themes on trombone ). Don't be exclusive for the moment. This time may come for you, but if it doesn't better be prepared to do everything that comes your way. Show business is murder...makes sure it is not your own  Image
ttf_bonenick

Performance Major

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on Jan 02, 2017, 12:26AMChances are you probably feel like you get more fulfillment from your jazz gigs because you dont do it full time, but if you did, chances are you would miss regular playing in the orchestra.
Don't do my mistake. Do as much and as different stuff you can. I prepared for orchestral trumpet player, but in reality I played classical music on regular basis only 2 years in a symphony orchestra. Now I have to play most of the time everything but classical (I play classical as well, but not much. My C trumpet remained in his case for the last 5-6 years, it get very randomly used).

Here am I now, learning the trombone, trying to play some jazz standarts and love themes on trombone ). Don't be exclusive for the moment. This time may come for you, but if it doesn't better be prepared to do everything that comes your way. Show business is murder...makes sure it is not your own  Image

Return to “Schools, Colleges, and Conservatories”