Abdominal strain/pulled abdominal muscle trouble

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

About one and half months ago I unwisely engaged in 3-4 hours of strenuous physical activity, then soon after, went to practice trombone. I felt a sharp pain in my medium/lower abdomen on an inhale, but thought nothing of it because it didn't bother me the rest of the practice session.

After a week of continuing sports and practicing as normal, the pain got worse. Following that I took a week off from everything and I went to get evaluated for a hernia (including an ultrasound), results came back negative. Doctor said it was likely just a muscular issue/abdominal strain.

A month an a half later and the pain is slightly better but progress seems to have plateaued. My first time playing was today. I was wondering if anyone has heard of something like this or experienced it, and if anyone has tips for dealing with it or can share their personal experiences (how you dealt with it, how long it took, changes to playing). After a search on the forum it seems like hernias are not unheard of but happen mostly with older players (I'm only 18) - could not find much about abdominal strains specifically.

Is an abdominal strain caused purely by trombone common? It seems mine was mainly due to sports but also because of trombone. I'm questioning how sustainable it is in the long run to both be physically active and play trombone, as this injury has been a big hit to both. Players who have undergone something similar but have kept playing successfully afterwards, what changes did you make to your playing after you overcame your injury so that you were able to keep playing and stay healthy?
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I had exactly the same thing happen when I was building my house.  I carried a large window, and didn't notice anything until later that day.  I think your tromone playing had absolutely nothing to do with it, just a coincidence that you felt it then.

Like you, i thought it was a hernia but the doctor said no, just a groin muscle strain.  I felt it for a couple of months but there was no treatment recommended other than "take it easy."
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I had exactly the same thing happen when I was building my house.  I carried a large window, and didn't notice anything until later that day.  I think your tromone playing had absolutely nothing to do with it, just a coincidence that you felt it then.

Like you, i thought it was a hernia but the doctor said no, just a groin muscle strain.  I felt it for a couple of months but there was no treatment recommended other than "take it easy."

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”