Just a bit chilly!

ttf_Dan Hine

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

I experienced a personal low yesterday.

Anyone else enjoying some cold weather this winter? 
ttf_Steven

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: Dan Hine on Jan 19, 2017, 04:36PMAnyone else enjoying some cold weather this winter? 

Not here.  We've had very little winter here in eastern New York.  Coldest temperature we've ever seen here was -30F.  That was a bunch of years ago.  -58 is inconceivable.
ttf_BillO

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_BillO »

It's not too cold right now, maybe 34F.  But we've have had close to -40F this time of year here.  The trees freeze and burst like shotgun's going off.  It's eerie!
ttf_robcat2075

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: Dan Hine on Jan 19, 2017, 04:36PMI experienced a personal low yesterday.

Anyone else enjoying some cold weather this winter? 

All I see is a minus sign
ttf_JohnL

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_JohnL »

How many feet of the white stuff?
ttf_Dan Hine

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Quote from: JohnL on Jan 19, 2017, 08:04PMHow many feet of the white stuff?

Not much this year.  Depth right now is almost 2 feet.  Total accumulation is around 50" which data shows to be a little above average for this point in the season but I don't know.  I feel like we got more the last few years.  Perhaps it was more spaced out previously so it just seemed like it was always snowing even if it didn't snow much. 

Honestly, it's not all that bad here.  It's dry and there is very little wind.  I moved here form Minnesota and I thought the winters there were worse as far as intensity.  Here the issue is it just drags on for awhile.  What most in the US would consider winter hits in mid-to-late September and sticks around until early May.  And then we'll get highs in the 90s.  It's crazy.   Image
ttf_BGuttman

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Sounds like Minnesota.  I was in Minneapolis for one spring -- all 15 minutes of it.  Freezing cold in the morning and suddenly hot. Image

Robert:  I see a negative sign on this computer, but on my other one it's showing -57.  A nice temperature without the minus sign.  For you Celsius folks, that's around -50 C (-40 is the same temperature in Fahrenheit and Celsius).
ttf_Dan Hine

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Strange that you guys are having issues with the image.  The image "should" say -58.  I wonder if it's because I took the picture on my phone and it had the "live" setting on so the picture is also a 3 second video clip.  So when I uploaded the picture you're being shown a (random?) slice of that video.  Weird!   Image
ttf_Ellrod

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

But what does it "feel like"?
ttf_MrPillow

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Winter here has been bizarre. Warmer than usual with less snow, it's actually been above freezing for a few days. Rain and fog in January? Sure, why not. We had one cold snap with wind chills in the -50 range. Once it gets down to around the -10 range it's just plain cold. The only difference is how fast your fingers go numb!
ttf_Dan Hine

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Quote from: Ellrod on Jan 19, 2017, 09:27PMBut what does it "feel like"?

Fairbanks tends to feel like whatever it says during the winter.  I can tell you it made my eyes feel funny.  
ttf_Dan Hine

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Quote from: MrPillow on Jan 19, 2017, 09:33PMThe only difference is how fast your fingers go numb!

You know they makes gloves/mittens for that, right?   Image
ttf_MrPillow

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Just keeping my humility Image What is the saying, frostbite is the spice of life?
ttf_Burgerbob

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I had a few days in 2010 that got down to -60. School was not cancelled. Fun was not had.  Image
ttf_BillO

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Dan Hine on Jan 19, 2017, 09:06PMStrange that you guys are having issues with the image.  The image "should" say -58.  I wonder if it's because I took the picture on my phone and it had the "live" setting on so the picture is also a 3 second video clip.  So when I uploaded the picture you're being shown a (random?) slice of that video.  Weird!   Image
I actually see no image at all. Image
ttf_ISAB

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_ISAB »

Chicago has been very warm this year
Not that much snow... only a few inches Image
ttf_robcat2075

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

The negative teens is probably the coldest I recall while growing up in Minnesota, although Minnesota has record low of -60 F in 1996.

We had a dip into the + teens here in Dallas a few weeks ago and a dusting of snow.

Overall, I hate cold.  100+ i can live with, but I hate cold.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

It has been close to 70 every day this week here in SC. We will pay for this come July.
ttf_Dan Hine

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Jan 20, 2017, 10:09AM

I've learned that it's the humidity I don't like.  I find 120 in Vegas much nicer than 85 in New Orleans.  And -30 in Fairbanks is much more tolerable than 0 in Minneapolis.
ttf_robcat2075

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I ride my bike in 100+ weather and people keep saying it must be too hot to bike and i say "It's only too hot when you stop moving."

There's no amount of moving or not moving that can make the cold go away, however.
ttf_MrPillow

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

One could just as easily say the same about the cold. My philosophy is that you can always pile on more clothes when it's cold, but you can only take so much off when it's hot before they lock you away!
ttf_Dan Hine

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Jan 20, 2017, 10:54PM

There's no amount of moving or not moving that can make the cold go away, however.

I'm sure at some temperature this is true.  The coldest I've gone on an extended hike was around -20 and I literally could not afford to stop because I had worked up too much of a sweat.  Should have shed a layer or two earlier on.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

I very much prefer cold weather to hot weather. Humidity is horrible, fortunately where i live (in Melbourne) humidity doesn't really get that bad, but Sydney and especially Brisbane are almost intolerable for me!

I have done a lot of travel around the world, but I thiiiink the coldest i have ever experienced was minus 13 degrees Celsius in europe. I have no idea what that is in Fahrenheit.... I never learnt how to compare them. Minus 13 felt VERY cold to me but i know its nothing compared to some places!
ttf_BGuttman

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

For the record, -13C is around 11 F.  It gets that cold here frequently in the winter.

As a calibration point, 0C is 32F and 0F is around -18C.
ttf_BillO

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_BillO »

QuoteThere's no amount of moving or not moving that can make the cold go away, however.

When we ride off-road motorcycles we burn a lot of energy.  It varies from person to person depending on their size, weight and level of fitness and (body weight)/(motorcycle weight) ratio.  The following  are guidelines for the average rider:

Spirited woods/enduro ringing ~ 3000Cal/hr

Woods/Enduro racing (pro level) ~ 4500Cal/hr

Supercross/Motocross (pro level) ~ 5500Cal/hr

Even when we ride in the winter we might start off with a jacket on, but it comes off after a few minutes.  Requiring just a light vest and regular riding pants, even in cold temperatures (around 0F).  The gloves stay on though, plus a balaclava under your helmet and thick socks help too.  The extremities always run cooler.
ttf_TomBone4

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_TomBone4 »

I love the cold weather in Minnesota!

Couple years back it was -60 ish - my sister and I went outside and blew bubbles, they froze.

Freaked out the neighbors.
ttf_bonearzt

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Jan 20, 2017, 10:09AMThe negative teens is probably the coldest I recall while growing up in Minnesota, although Minnesota has record low of -60 F in 1996.
We had a dip into the + teens here in Dallas a few weeks ago and a dusting of snow.

I'm with you Robert!  I HATE being cold!!!!  I can stand working in my garage at 108, 110, 112 etc.  but anything below 50 and my hands & other joints start getting stiff.

Soon enough I'll be retiring to Tucson.  AHhhhhhhhh!!  Where usually I'll have to work hard to find cold!

Eric

ttf_BGuttman

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Hey!  You can't retire!  What will we do with one less good tech around here?  Or will you set up a shop there?
ttf_bonearzt

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Thanks for the props Bruce!!  Actually doubt I'll every really be able to retire as such,  but I'll always be around.

Still too far off to figure if I'll have my own set-up or hook up with an established store.  I do have one in mind,  but again,  still a ways off.  Ten or so years,  until my youngest graduates high school.

Eric

ttf_ISAB

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_ISAB »

We're having a huge windstorm here in Lincolnshire, IL and the power was out for like 20 minutes
ttf_ISAB

Just a bit chilly!

Post by ttf_ISAB »

We're having a huge windstorm here in Lincolnshire, IL and the power was out for like 20 minutes

Return to “Chit-Chat”