Murray Crewe R.I.P.

ttf_cmillar

Murray Crewe R.I.P.

Post by ttf_cmillar »

Sad to report on the death of Murray Crewe, former bass trombonist of Pittsburgh, Toronto, Utah symphonies.

Murray was a graduate of the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C. Canada, where he studied with Douglas Sparks of the Vancouver Symphony.

He went on to study with Ed Kleinhammer in Chicago, and even played with the Chicago Symphony on moments notice a few times.

I'm sure he'll be missed by all that played in orchestras with him, (... except for those that sat in front of him in some pieces!), by his family, his students, and for those of us who went to UBC with him and had the opportunity to see him grow into the wonderful musician he became, we'll remember him as one of the most fun-loving people we ever knew.

Murray had a big heart, big sound, big life, and never seemed to seek the spotlight. He let his playing do his talking.

Cheers, Murray

ttf_Ellrod

Murray Crewe R.I.P.

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Very sad news.

I went to UBC with Murray, played in the UBC symphony with him (he was in first year, I was in 4th). We both studied with Doug Sparkes (we were Doug's only 2 students at UBC that year).

We played Firebird one night when the principal forgot about the concert and didn't show up.

Gone way, way too soon. Condolences to his family and friends.
ttf_hassein

Murray Crewe R.I.P.

Post by ttf_hassein »

I somehow recall a story of him winning an audition(Utah?) on a borrowed horn after his was lost on the way there.
ttf_BassBoneFL

Murray Crewe R.I.P.

Post by ttf_BassBoneFL »

Quote from: hassein on Feb 11, 2017, 09:48PMI somehow recall a story of him winning an audition(Utah?) on a borrowed horn after his was lost on the way there.

Yup -- Airline lost his horn. He used one person's bell and another's slide. We were hanging out after the audition and I asked him what he'll do if "... they don't like the way you play on your horn?".
ttf_hassein

Murray Crewe R.I.P.

Post by ttf_hassein »

Well...we know how that turned out. Such a great story. Next time someone whines about their equipment, they should imagine themselves it that situation.
ttf_anonymous

Murray Crewe R.I.P.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

So sad to hear of Murray's passing. I knew him during his time with the Toronto Symphony.  We had the unusual occurrence of subbing for each other for a week long gig. During  a dispute between the symphony players and management the players had a week that was an added service and not part of the formal schedule. They had the option of not performing but also not being paid for the week.  Some of the players decided that they would boycott the week as a type of protest. Murray figured a way to protest and still get paid by asking me to let him play a week o Phantom of the Opera, which  I was playing at the time, and I in turn would play with the T.S. for that week. Good for me as the symphony paid better and Phantom had been running for a couple of years by then and a break was always welcome. So Murray got a taste of life in the pits while I played a  forgettable  T.S. pops concert. Unfortunately I never got a chance to work with him  as there are not too many gigs with 2 bass trombonists.

I last saw Murray when the Boss Brass played a concert  in Pittsburgh in the late 1990s.

As the N.D, song says 'Done Too Soon',
ttf_anonymous

Murray Crewe R.I.P.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

What a super nice guy and great player.
I was at Duquesne Univ. in Pittsburgh when he came into town.
Got to play next to him only in casual settings, but so fun.
So sad to hear of his transition.

ttf_anonymous

Murray Crewe R.I.P.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Very sad to have read that news.

I attended a masterclass with Murray at the Domaine Forget Summer Academy in Canada in 1998 (I think, or was it 1999?).
I had quite some courses or lessons with some of the "Legends", but consider Murray Crewe  a trombone player of exceptional musicality and incredibly intelligent, helpful ideas about auditioning. His love for live was evident and also showed in his playing. When I visited the course, Murray´s Porsche was broken and he had to arrive with a rented car (his sports car was legendary among the students). It´s weird to realize that when I was a student of his masterclass, he was younger than I am now. He will be missed and the world is lacking one more unique artist who maybe was not an official superstar (he is not known here in Europe) but by his skills was.

Michael Munzert, Germany
ttf_anonymous

Murray Crewe R.I.P.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

ttf_anonymous

Murray Crewe R.I.P.

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Return to “Trombonists”