Life as a military musician

ttf_Emisaumell

Post by ttf_Emisaumell »

How is your everyday life like? I am deeply interested in joining either the U.S. Army or the Air Force and would like to know how the role of a musician is like? I would like to know your experience as one!
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Shoot me a PM with specific questions. In general, it's a great gig but a specific answer depends on whether you are talking about active duty regular or special bands, or if you are talking about National Guard or Reserve.

I can tell you everything you want to know but I'd rather answer specifics via PM.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: Emisaumell on Feb 12, 2017, 10:07PMHow is your everyday life like? I am deeply interested in joining either the U.S. Army or the Air Force and would like to know how the role of a musician is like? I would like to know your experience as one!

There are as you are aware several members on TTF either serving or have served with the US forces bands.....competition for the spots is as hard as any gig, are there any current vacancies is the first thing to determine!
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Quote from: vegasbound on Feb 13, 2017, 05:00AMThere are as you are aware several members on TTF either serving or have served with the US forces bands.....competition for the spots is as hard as any gig, are there any current vacancies is the first thing to determine!

Again it depends on the type of band. Any of the premiere bands will have their own vacancies and audition processes and are extremely competitive  (the Coast Guard Band hints that all of their musicians are graduates of conservatory level institutions and names Juilliard and New England Conservatory as examples). The regular Active Duty Bands are not as difficult to join.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

What's the current state of downsizing the military bands these days?  Is the Trump era likely to change anything?
ttf_Dan Hine

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Feb 13, 2017, 07:16AMIs the Trump era likely to change anything?

My opinion:  yes.

Emisaumell,  feel free to pm me questions as well.  I served as a Marine musician from 2005-2013 and am currently in the Army.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

A woman I know joined the Navy music program about 10 years ago and she has really loved it. She has been in 3 different bands so far. One of them played here last summer and it was really a top-notch group with very talented players. This was one of the 12 or so Fleet bands. She told me that the level of talent coming in is way up from when she joined.
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

A lot of the answer to your question is dependent on which band you get in.  I was in a reserve band, but we went to Ft. Leonard Wood every year for 2 weeks and performed that bands duties for the 2 weeks. We played a lot of ceremonies for Basic training and school graduations, change of command Ceremonies, did some parades.  I'm more familiar with reserve bands but will be glad to answer questions about being in the reserves as a bandsmen.
ttf_Arrowhead99

Post by ttf_Arrowhead99 »

It's a mixture of rehearsals, office work, and training (classes, online classes, giving classes, physical exercise...)
If you're not afraid of the possibility that you could deploy "downrange," then it's not a bad career.
ttf_Cubes

Post by ttf_Cubes »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Feb 13, 2017, 05:20AM(the Coast Guard Band hints that all of their musicians are graduates of conservatory level institutions and names Juilliard and New England Conservatory as examples)
I can give you a 100% guarantee that this isn't true. Good players but I know at least 1 came out of a state school known for producing band directors in Texas

Also each band is going to be different depending on the location and mission of each band. If you want more specifics, primarily about the 10 Marine bands you can send me a message
ttf_Cubes

Post by ttf_Cubes »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Feb 13, 2017, 05:20AM(the Coast Guard Band hints that all of their musicians are graduates of conservatory level institutions and names Juilliard and New England Conservatory as examples)
I can give you a 100% guarantee that this isn't true. Good players but I know at least 1 came out of a state school known for producing band directors in Texas

Also each band is going to be different depending on the location and mission of each band. If you want more specifics, primarily about the 10 Marine bands you can send me a message

Return to “Chit-Chat”