Spam cell calls

ttf_Whitbey

Spam cell calls

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

In the last month I have been hit with a blitz of phone calls on my cell. Area codes that I never heard of. Most of the time no one is there. Just robo call after robo call. Funny thing is my cell phone is not out. My regular phone forwards to it.
Any idea what is going on? Is this new? Or just new for me?
And where is that do not call list?
ttf_BGuttman

Spam cell calls

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I don't think robocalls can blind call cell phones (it's a regulation).  But since you have your land line tied to your cell, the robo calls that would normally go to the land line go to your cell phone.

There should be a reply number that you can call to remove your name.

Problem is, many of these originate offshore and thus may not be subject to regulations.

ttf_Dan Hine

Spam cell calls

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

You still answer your phone in this day and age?   Image
ttf_BGuttman

Spam cell calls

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Dan Hine on Feb 24, 2017, 06:28PMYou still answer your phone in this day and age?   Image

Sorry, I'm old school and still do.  Sometimes somebody needs to contact me right away.  And not to sell me new windows or a roof.
ttf_fsung

Spam cell calls

Post by ttf_fsung »

Quote from: BGuttman on Feb 24, 2017, 06:16PMI don't think robocalls can blind call cell phones (it's a regulation).
It may be a regulation, but that hasn't stopped spammers from robocalling my cellphone number, which is not tied to a land line.  Image

And calling opt-out numbers is a scam. All that does is tell the spammers they've reached a live number.
ttf_Peter Eiden

Spam cell calls

Post by ttf_Peter Eiden »

I saw the attached article recently in the Journal of Accountancy.  (no, the article wasn't in the centerfold, and yes, I read it for the articles  Image)

http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/issues/2017/feb/stop-robocalls-with-nomorobo.html

This service was free for my land line, and its been great.   If the phone only rings once and goes away, it was caught.  If it rings a second time, it's a legit call.  Volume of robo-calls has gone to virtually none, and legitimate automated calls (school emergency, community announcements, have all successfully come through).

Haven't activated it on my cell yet, but that's only one or two calls a month at this point, so its not a big deal.

ttf_Radar

Spam cell calls

Post by ttf_Radar »

What amazes me is people must be falling for these robocall scams or they wouldn't still be doing them.  If everyone just automatically hung up on Robocalls it wouldn't be very long before we stopped getting them. 
ttf_BGuttman

Spam cell calls

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Peter Eiden on Feb 28, 2017, 12:04PMI saw the attached article recently in the Journal of Accountancy.  (no, the article wasn't in the centerfold, and yes, I read it for the articles  Image)

Hey!  I want to see a centerfold in the Journal of Accountancy!  Is it a sexy spreadsheet? Image Image
ttf_BillO

Spam cell calls

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: BGuttman on Feb 24, 2017, 06:30PM... or a roof.
I need a roof this year. Image
ttf_bonenick

Spam cell calls

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: BGuttman on Feb 24, 2017, 06:30PMSorry, I'm old school and still do.  Sometimes somebody needs to contact me right away.  And not to sell me new windows or a roof.

Maybe they have to try with a WHOLE house. Not just bits of it  Image
ttf_Whitbey

Spam cell calls

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

Quote from: Dan Hine on Feb 24, 2017, 06:28PMYou still answer your phone in this day and age?   Image

It is my business line. I have too.

I think the think that wonders me is 90% of the calls hang up in a couple of rings.

But then there are the Gas companies selling gas.

I tell them I have all the gas I really need for free. This questions them. I tell them once is a while I need a little more gas and I eat a coney island or some onion soup.   
ttf_robcat2075

Spam cell calls

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: Radar on Mar 27, 2017, 08:38PMWhat amazes me is people must be falling for these robocall scams or they wouldn't still be doing them.  If everyone just automatically hung up on Robocalls it wouldn't be very long before we stopped getting them. 

There are lonely/bored people who answer because they are glad to get the phone call and eager for the interaction.  I have known such people.

And then there are people, mostly the elderly, who are uncomfortable with being impolite by hanging-up, even with a recording.
ttf_Whitbey

Spam cell calls

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

What still amazes me is the number of two ring dead calls. I had one today that rang seven times. When I got back to my laptop I blocked the number. It probably kept trying.

Seems like a lot of trouble to do nothing.
ttf_BGuttman

Spam cell calls

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

What happens in the boiler rooms making the calls is that there is an automatic dialer that dials several numbers and they answer the first one that picks up.  Rest of the calls that get picked up go into a holding pattern, which you probably hung up on.

Some of these are REALLY annoying.  Things like "IRS" non-payment calls, "Microsoft" claiming I have a virus, etc.
ttf_Whitbey

Spam cell calls

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

When the IRS guy calls I tell them I am the Sr Field inspector. And why did you not read the D47-27U-15 before you started your harassment script. And internal investigations will have a field day.
ttf_Whitbey

Spam cell calls

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

When the IRS guy calls I tell them I am the Sr Field inspector. And why did you not read the D47-27U-15 before you started your harassment script. And internal investigations will have a field day.

Return to “Chit-Chat”