Sand Bags?

ttf_bobroden

Sand Bags?

Post by ttf_bobroden »

I've started using an iPad on gigs, and I love it, no turning back.

I worry, though, about this $1000 electronics item on a stand getting knocked over and smashed.  I'm as careful as I can be with it, of course, but still it's a concern.

I'm using the goSTAND portable mic stand, which is terrific and telescopes down for carrying in a bag (check it out: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RCELW9A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

It's actually quite sturdy and stable, but I wouldn't mind putting something like a sand bag on the legs just to add a little insurance.

So my question is: do I use an actual bag full of sand, or are there other, equivalent items out there that work like sand bags but make more sense to own and haul around?
ttf_BGuttman

Sand Bags?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

You could consider something like this, which is used to keep flasks submerged in a water bath:

https://www.coleparmer.com/p/vinyl-covered-lead-weight-rings/246?searchterm=Vinyl%20Covered%20Lead%20Weight%20Rings

I take the tack of simply keeping a foot on one leg of the stand to make sure I get some kind of warning if it's going to tip.

I put my tablet (a Windsor) on a conventional Hamilton KB-90 stand or Manhasset Voyager when playing outdoors.  The stand is fairly heavy and I don't worry too much about wind.

Another approach might be to guard against breakage if it falls by putting a blanket or foam pad around the stand.
ttf_robcat2075

Sand Bags?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I think mass is mass but perhaps a commercial theatrical "sandbag" with a handle will be least inconvenient to carry.

Perhaps one or two 5 lb. bags would be enough to hold down a stand.

ttf_JohnL

Sand Bags?

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Back when I worked in camera store, we sold a tripod stabilizing bag that was designed to be filled with water. You just carry the empty bag around and fill it with water once you get to the shoot. A pint's a pound.
ttf_Sliphorn

Sand Bags?

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

I've played with a lot of sandbags on stage...
ttf_MrPillow

Sand Bags?

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Quote from: Sliphorn on Apr 08, 2017, 04:48PMI've played with a lot of sandbags on stage...

How about windbags?

ttf_BGuttman

Sand Bags?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Sliphorn on Apr 08, 2017, 04:48PMI've played with a lot of sandbags on stage...

In front of the band? Image
ttf_Sliphorn

Sand Bags?

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 08, 2017, 04:51PMIn front of the band? Image
In the section!
ttf_bobroden

Sand Bags?

Post by ttf_bobroden »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Apr 08, 2017, 01:31PMI think mass is mass but perhaps a commercial theatrical "sandbag" with a handle will be least inconvenient to carry.

This actually proved to be the solution.  After posting my question earlier, I did some research and discovered bags like these available at camera stores.  I bought a 5-lb bag and used it on a gig tonight, and it made all the difference in the world -- much more force would be required to tip the stand over.  And one 5-lb bag fits in my accessory bag.  It obviously adds weight, but it's well worth it.
ttf_bobroden

Sand Bags?

Post by ttf_bobroden »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Apr 08, 2017, 01:31PMI think mass is mass but perhaps a commercial theatrical "sandbag" with a handle will be least inconvenient to carry.

This actually proved to be the solution.  After posting my question earlier, I did some research and discovered bags like these available at camera stores.  I bought a 5-lb bag and used it on a gig tonight, and it made all the difference in the world -- much more force would be required to tip the stand over.  And one 5-lb bag fits in my accessory bag.  It obviously adds weight, but it's well worth it.

Return to “Accessories”