Thayer questions

ttf_anonymous

Thayer questions

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi, I've got a Benge 290 with aftermarket Thayers installed. I've just got some questions about the horn in general.

1. Is there a way I can test the seal of my valves at home, to make sure they're fully sealed?
2. One of the Gb lever linkages is broken, it was plastic. Can I source a link for any Thayer valve, or does it need to be brand specific? The valves say "Orla Ed Thayer"
3. The Gb lever is a straight paddle, and doesn't really work with my hand. Does Edwards offer their Gb levers as a separate purchase, or does anyone know of a company that can do such a thing?
ttf_Burgerbob

Thayer questions

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Take it in to a good tech and they can do all of this stuff for you.
ttf_Blowero

Thayer questions

Post by ttf_Blowero »

You can test the seal by taking off the handslide and tuning slide, blocking off the tuning slide inner connecting tube with your finger, and blowing into the bell receiver. If the valves are leaky you will probably hear air escaping when you do that.
ttf_afugate

Thayer questions

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: Blowero on Apr 20, 2017, 07:33PMYou can test the seal by taking off the handslide and tuning slide, blocking off the tuning slide inner connecting tube with your finger, and blowing into the bell receiver. If the valves are leaky you will probably hear air escaping when you do that.

When one does this test, should one also remove the tuning slides from the valve section(s)?

--Andy in OKC
ttf_elmsandr

Thayer questions

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Quote from: afugate on Apr 21, 2017, 02:37AMWhen one does this test, should one also remove the tuning slides from the valve section(s)?

--Andy in OKC
Nah, leave them in.  You may also want to engage each valve and make sure there is a decent seal on both passages.

If you do have a leak and you can't find it, drip some soapy water (snoop!) around joints or threads or the spindles.  It will bubble where the air is leaking.

Cheers,
Andy
ttf_elmsandr

Thayer questions

Post by ttf_elmsandr »

Quote from: afugate on Apr 21, 2017, 02:37AMWhen one does this test, should one also remove the tuning slides from the valve section(s)?

--Andy in OKC
Nah, leave them in.  You may also want to engage each valve and make sure there is a decent seal on both passages.

If you do have a leak and you can't find it, drip some soapy water (snoop!) around joints or threads or the spindles.  It will bubble where the air is leaking.

Cheers,
Andy

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”