Senior Recital Concerto Help

ttf_NBee

Post by ttf_NBee »

Hi everyone! I need some help with picking out a concerto for my senior recital next year. I have some ideas (like David and Bourgeois) but I am not completely set on either of those two. I am looking for something in the 15-20 minute range with romantic elements. The Grondahl is out because I have used that already, but that's the ideal set of characteristics I am looking for in the piece.

The other pieces in my program so far are the Malcolm Arnold Fantasy, Vox Gabrielli, and Little Buckaroo, just to give you an idea of what sound world I'm in.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Nick
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Martin: Ballade
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

What has your teacher suggested?
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Are you Specifically looking for a Concerto? Or any kind of solo?
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

ttf_NBee

Post by ttf_NBee »

I am looking for a concerto. My teacher has suggested some more contemporary stuff that I'm just not as passionate about. The Rota was a consideration but it's just a little too far out there for what I'm looking for.
ttf_W/SBTRB

Post by ttf_W/SBTRB »

Gordon Jacob Concerto Henry C. Smith recorded the firsr movement back in the 60's on Coronet Records. I would imagine there is a recording of the entire concerto out there somewhere. Modern yet tonal.

George Walker Concerto. Denis Wick recorded this during the 70's with the London Symphony on the old Columbia Records as a part of their African-American composer series during the American bicentennial. A neat piece but sounds very challenging

Goldstein's Colloquy for trombone functions like a concerto. The middle is a beautiful melody that I think is one of the best for trombone. There are jazz elements in the solo 
ttf_bigbassbone1

Sure. Im not sure if its your thing, but if you want to keep your teacher happy and play something modernish (but tonal!) Have a look at the T-bone concerto (cant remember how to spell the composers name but shouldn't be hard to find). I think there is an Alessi recording, but Brett Baker also did a recording with brass band.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Quote from: bigbassbone1 on Apr 21, 2017, 03:48PMSure. Im not sure if its your thing, but if you want to keep your teacher happy and play something modernish (but tonal!) Have a look at the T-bone concerto (cant remember how to spell the composers name but shouldn't be hard to find).

DeMeij
ttf_bigbassbone1

ttf_FlamingRain

Post by ttf_FlamingRain »

I'm currently working on the Serocki Concerto - very challenging as well but very rewarding - definitely more modern and post-romantic-tonal, but it is a cool piece nonetheless.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

The Harvest Concerto fits the bill. It's a LOT easier than the T-Bone Concerto, but it sounds more difficult.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

The Harvest Concerto fits the bill. It's a LOT easier than the T-Bone Concerto, but it sounds more difficult.

Return to “Performance”