Red Rot? on a fake King

ttf_bonenick

Red Rot? on a fake King

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Disclaimer: this is a fake King...actually more like a Bach 42 copy.

Anyway, only after five months of use, it got something like a red rot, which is hardly a surprise, but if there is anyway to remove it, or just masque it a little bit I want to know how (I suspect that it is provoked by slide dropings/spraying of water)

It is not big, but when I try to sell it, it will be an issue, though cosmetic.

Hoope you can see the dots.

P.S. Well, I didn't realize that is gonna show up that big Image
ttf_BillO

Red Rot? on a fake King

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: bonenick on May 04, 2017, 04:18AMDisclaimer: this is a fake King...actually more like a Bach 42 copy.

Anyway, only after five months of use, it got something like a red rot, which is hardly a surprise, but if there is anyway to remove it, or just masque it a little bit I want to know how (I suspect that it is provoked by slide dropings/spraying of water)

It is not big, but when I try to sell it, it will be an issue, though cosmetic.

Hoope you can see the dots.

P.S. Well, I didn't realize that is gonna show up that big Image

See what?  Am I missing something?

I don't think you can do anything about real red rot, which is the de-zincification of the brass to the exent that it is eating right trough the tubing.  My tech has told me you wait for it to eat through, then patch it if it's small enough.  The cause may have little to do with the quality of the brass and mnore to do with putting it away wet.  I have a real king 4B that has a 3mm red rot spot that will likely become a perforation (in 10-15 years) but it was my own fault for putting it away for 18 years wet.

As I don't see any picture of it I'm not sure what you are seeing is really red rot.  Sometimes you will get a thin reddish corrosion on the surface of brass that is easily polished off. 
ttf_bonenick

Red Rot? on a fake King

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: BillO on May 04, 2017, 05:59AMAs I don't see any picture of it I'm not sure what you are seeing is really red rot.  Sometimes you will get a thin reddish corrosion on the surface of brass that is easily polished off. 

Probably it is not a red rot, I just wanted a second opinion. I will do some more polishing, hopefully it will go away.
ttf_BGuttman

Red Rot? on a fake King

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

You didn't make the image public on DropBox.

Somebody asked me to evaluate a Bach 50B2L that he thought had red rot but there were pinholes in the lacquer that tarnished.  Hope somebody bought the thing, he was asking a nice price for it (but that horn is not my cup of tea).
ttf_bonenick

Red Rot? on a fake King

Post by ttf_bonenick »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6j7m5vw3672tqlz/IMG_20170504_140453%5B1%5D.jpg?dl=0 try with the link

BTW, I used a selmer silver polish cloth, with some rigoroous rubbing it almost disappeared. If I look really carefully I can still detect slight marks, but they are barely visible.
ttf_BillO

Red Rot? on a fake King

Post by ttf_BillO »

What you see in the picture is not likely red rot.  I have never seen red rot on the bell like that.  It will usually only occur where water will lay for long periods of time.  The slide crook is the most common place, but it can occur other places on the slide and even in F-att tubing.
ttf_Matt K

Red Rot? on a fake King

Post by ttf_Matt K »

It looks like the bell is unlacquered and is developing a patina, which is why your polishing worked.  You can continue to polish it or you can let it develop the patina. I kind of like the brownish appearance to be honest. I'm surprised it took five months to look like that, but it probably isn't touched in that spot frequently.
ttf_Matt K

Red Rot? on a fake King

Post by ttf_Matt K »

It looks like the bell is unlacquered and is developing a patina, which is why your polishing worked.  You can continue to polish it or you can let it develop the patina. I kind of like the brownish appearance to be honest. I'm surprised it took five months to look like that, but it probably isn't touched in that spot frequently.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”