Any opinions, experience re: Yamaha YSL-620

ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

The YSL620 is, of course, the tenor trombone, YBL620 being a bass trombone. It's marketed as a pro quality horn but is a step down from the Xeno series. It's also about 25% less expensive than the Xeno. A bit old school: string linkage, for one. A little lighter sound, a more Conn-ish width slide, what Yam calls a semi-open wrap. An optional gold brass bell. 2-piece laser welded bell. Getting into 88H territory?

A lot of that appeals to me. I thought the Xeno was a little heavy and dark.

Nowhere to try a 620 of course.

Does anyone play (or tried) one of these?

I acquired an older 691 a few months back and just recently got a 671 alto. I'm quite pleased with my Yamaha horns. Great slides and an overall feeling of quality.

Any thoughts?

Edited to add: "redesigned" - no more string linkage?

ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

The YSL 648R and YSL 648 are the best Yamahas I've tried. Can you get one of those to try? Probably used only, these days.
ttf_daveyboy37

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

I have a 640, which is the same bell section on a .525 bore slide. It's a great horn, very solid construction, great case, and good sound. The gold brass leadpipe they use really does seem to darken up the sound a bit.

I also love how the F-attachment wrap doesn't stick out beyond the main tuning slide.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I have the immediate predecessor, the 682(G).  Mine doesn't have a string linkage -- has a solid rod linkage with a lot of bearings.  Clever design and extremely quiet, even 30 years old.  When I first got it I loved the sound.  Somewhere in between a Bach 42 and a Conn 88H.  Has a real quality feel to it.

The large valve and wrap with no sharp bends gives a nice open feel.

Mine had to have a bell transplant due to an accident and now sports a Shires 1G bell (not removable).  It's a GREAT horn now.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

I have one.  I very much prefer it to the Xenos that I have played.  It is the best Yamaha large-bore I have played, and I have tried many of them - old and current.  The 882's seem heavy and dark to me, too.  That works for some folks but light a lighter, more nimble horn.  I also strongly dislike the long open-wrap on the 882GO model.  It is ridiculous.  I am sure the Yamaha designers know it but that is what the market demands...

The YSL-620 is an excellent horn.  Typical Yamaha build quality, etc.  The "semi-open" wrap is great.  Works every bit as well as any open-wrap I have used, and the balance is perfect.  And the linkage is the same mechanical one.  The slide hand brace, corks, etc are the same as on the Xeno, but the outer slide has the usual integral (Yamaha's term?) as opposed to oversleeves.  The slide is lighter and, of course, works beautifully.  I would describe this model as somewhere between a 42 and an 88H, as Bruce did with the 682.  (I owned a 682 a couple of years and ago and thought it was a bit brighter than this horn.)

ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Yam talks about "large rotor". What's that all about? Same rotor as the 682B?

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

682B has a larger diameter rotor than the 682 or 684.  I would expect the 620 to be similar to the 682.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

682B has a larger diameter rotor than the 682 or 684.  I would expect the 620 to be similar to the 682.

Return to “Instruments”