6H/10H: Bell weight differences

ttf_slide advantage

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

Today I made a swap. A late 50's 6H bell section for a late 50's 10H bell section.

I owned a 10H years ago but I was playing a Bach 12 at the time (which I would do for a long time), so I never really explored it. Pawn shop find which I sold.

Now fast forward, I have been on 6Hs for nearly 10 years I think. And the 10H has always been in the back of mind. I've seen some pop up for sale. Either the price was too rich for my blood or the horn was thrashed.

Then this opportunity arose. I feel fortunate. This is a very nice, open blowing bell. I doubt I will play it in a section, favoring the 6H bell instead. I think blending might be a problem, however negligible.

At any rate I am going to break this thing out on my quartet and quintet gigs. It has such a nice warm core to it.

Back to the title of this thread. I weighed both bell sections. The 6H weighs in a hefty 33.1 ounces...the heaviest of any 6H bell that has passed through my hands. I don't like lightweight horns. I love it.

But the 10H bell weighs on 29.9 oz. That is big difference, much more than I expected. Over 3 ounces lighter.

For whatever it is worth.....
ttf_back2bone

Post by ttf_back2bone »

I played my 10H, a '71 SF pawn shop find, for years as my tenor bone on lead, in sections, on recordngs and theaters. Loved it, and still do. I'd originally gone looking for a 6H, but found two identical 10 H's in a pawn shop. Replaced the inner tubes, lightened the slide guards and that was it.

ttf_Arrowhead99

Post by ttf_Arrowhead99 »

I have a 6H and a 10H. The only description that comes to mind is the 10H adds a bit of "vanilla" flavoring to the sound. The power and clarity are there, but the tone is a bit more "creamy," as compared to the 6H. I don't think blending should be a problem with either horn.
ttf_Arrowhead99

Post by ttf_Arrowhead99 »

I have a 6H and a 10H. The only description that comes to mind is the 10H adds a bit of "vanilla" flavoring to the sound. The power and clarity are there, but the tone is a bit more "creamy," as compared to the 6H. I don't think blending should be a problem with either horn.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”