Conn 6H Artist Model - 1990 - not marked anywhere as 6H?

ttf_Bach16G

Post by ttf_Bach16G »

I'm looking for help regarding identification of a 1990 Conn 6H - from a reputable dealer. I just received it and want to be sure everything is ok before the trial period is up. It was listed as a "Conn 6H 1990's Limited Artist Model".

Bell engraving: GC Conn LTD, Artist, USA
Serial number: 40 345XXX
Slide number: 1846 (on cork barrel and outer slide)

**It doesn't say 6H anywhere on the instrument that I can find?**

It came with three similar looking leadpipes - and my .500 bore H6 and W6 pipes fit fine as well. The bell is 8 inches. Yellow brass bell, reversed tuning slide, brass slide with nickel end crook, nickel trim, appears to have gold lacquer as well.

From what I can tell - this is a 1990 6H (Eastlake?) that came with three leadpipes - was this an option? They all match and are press fit with a short oversleeve.

The dealer only deals with trombones, and I believe he has a strong reputation. I am mainly asking because I can't see a 6H marking anywhere on the horn...?

Thanks for any info for a Bach player - this is my first Conn.

It plays very well so far - I just want to make sure I am buying what I think I am!

Here is a link to some pics grabbed from the listing:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/drtzf1lsxf649lx/AACqqmQEl6VesuNtrsG7g0zAa?dl=0

Thanks - Steve

ttf_jackbird

Post by ttf_jackbird »

By that time the 100h had replaced the 6h. But that horn doesn't have the tootsie rolls or the curved grip. It doesn't happen to have "Minick" stamped near the bell brace, does it? 100h comes with 3 pipes, but they screw in, I thought.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

It does look like a 1990 6H.  I had a 1991.  They had made a few changes in these final years.  This has them.  The leadpipe situation looks like a modification.  I can see burnt lacquer where they took a torch to it.  And I don't think Conn ever sold push-fit pipes. 

ttf_Wild Bill

Post by ttf_Wild Bill »

Hi, All.

I had a late '80's early '90's Conn 100 H.  The one that I owned had tuning slide braces reminiscent of Larry Minick's designs, (different from the ones in the photos of this instrument), press-fit lead pipes with the collar fitting over the upper tube (similar to the ones in the photos), and square braces on the main slide. If memory serves, it was stamped "100 H" somewhere near the main bell brace in the traditional Conn manner. My 100 H had no back weight like the one in the photos. My 100 H bell was slightly larger than 8 inches in diameter. The tuning slide on the instrument shown in the photos leads me to think that this is not a 100 H, despite the three lead pipes.

As to whether it is a 6 H or not, wiser heads will be needed...  Image

B. Huber
ttf_Bellend

Post by ttf_Bellend »

Quote from: greenbean on May 25, 2017, 09:48PMIt does look like a 1990 6H.  I had a 1991.  They had made a few changes in these final years.  This has them.  The leadpipe situation looks like a modification.  I can see burnt lacquer where they took a torch to it.  And I don't think Conn ever sold push-fit pipes. 

I agree leadpipes are definitely a modification. I had a late 6H which blew great so could be a nice horn.

FWIW

BellEnd
ttf_Bach16G

Post by ttf_Bach16G »

Quote from: jackbird on May 25, 2017, 08:24PMBy that time the 100h had replaced the 6h. But that horn doesn't have the tootsie rolls or the curved grip. It doesn't happen to have "Minick" stamped near the bell brace, does it? 100h comes with 3 pipes, but they screw in, I thought.

No Minick stamp

Quote from: greenbean on May 25, 2017, 09:48PMIt does look like a 1990 6H.  I had a 1991.  They had made a few changes in these final years.  This has them.  The leadpipe situation looks like a modification.  I can see burnt lacquer where they took a torch to it.  And I don't think Conn ever sold push-fit pipes. 

I agree the lacquer looks burnt - but in looking at the leadpipes, one is similarly burnt and the other two are normal. Perhaps one pipe was stuck at one point and was heated to remove? Hard to say - wasn't a deal breaker for me since I will use my own leadpipe and I could always get that relacquered at some point. The slide is very good - one of the best I have used. Very clean tubes, no wear, no redrot or other issues.

My initial reaction is that it is a great player, and I'm looking forward to trying it at some rehearsals/performances in the coming weeks.

My one nagging question - why isn't this marked as a 6H?  Image

ttf_TBigdaddy

Post by ttf_TBigdaddy »

[quote
My one nagging question - why isn't this marked as a 6H?  Image
[/quote]

Some 88Hs weren't marked as 88H, but were engraved as "Artist Symphony".
Maybe it's the same situation with your 6H?
ttf_oslide

Post by ttf_oslide »

Since you say it's your first Conn...
IIRC (and I'm not at home currently and thus can't check it) one of my 6Hs has that 6H mark at the very upper end of the (lower?) outer slide where you can't see it under the cork barrel when  the slide is closed. - Only a tiny chance, but perhaps...

ttf_Blowero

Post by ttf_Blowero »

That looks like a Director cork barrel on the bottom tube. I would be surprised if Conn ever made an instrument with mismatched different length cork barrels like that. Seems like the slide was either modified or is not original to that bell section.
ttf_Bach16G

Post by ttf_Bach16G »

Can you give specific changes that were made in the final years of the 6h - based on your 1991 model?

Thanks!
ttf_klimchak

Post by ttf_klimchak »

The 100h and later 6h's had longer lower cork barrels.  I like them a lot since it helps eliminate the hand pinching that is common with older 6h's. 

I have had a couple of Conns from the early 90s and they almost never had model designations, just the "artist" script on the bell.
ttf_bonedude

Post by ttf_bonedude »

It is my belief that 6h's were still able to be ordered through the factory. I have a slide that the original owner said was purchased in the 2000's through the factory because his old 6h slide was beyond repairable. The cork barrels are different than the old 6hs and mine has yellow brass tubes. It is not marked as a 6h.
ttf_Blowero

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Quote from: klimchak on May 27, 2017, 01:09PMThe 100h and later 6h's had longer lower cork barrels.  I like them a lot since it helps eliminate the hand pinching that is common with older 6h's. 

Oh, then forget what I wrote earlier. Didn't know that.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

I had a 6H from the early 50's that didn't have the model stamped at all on the bell section, and only on the top edge of the lower outer tube. Was clearly identifiable as it was a ''Victor'' and all the specs were clearly that of a 6H. But I always wondered why the model number was so hard to find on the instrument.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

I had a 6H from the early 50's that didn't have the model stamped at all on the bell section, and only on the top edge of the lower outer tube. Was clearly identifiable as it was a ''Victor'' and all the specs were clearly that of a 6H. But I always wondered why the model number was so hard to find on the instrument.

Return to “Instruments”