Shires 8" bell recommendations

ttf_TNTBONE

Post by ttf_TNTBONE »

I am looking for a Shires 8" bell that could match the tonal qualities of my Bach 36G. The 36G produces a "fat" sound with a dark, solid core, I would use it primarily for 1st parts in the orchestra. I am partial to gold brass bells FWIW.. It will be paired with a Shires .525 nickel lw slide. Anyone have any experience/recommendations? Thanks...
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Maybe mount the 36 bell you have to your Shires? I did that for a while myself and liked it quite a bit but I don't do much that called for it so I sold it.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I have a 1G on my Yamaha 682 (don't ask -- it's a LONG story).  I think it gives it a more-or-less Bach sound.
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

I tried a 2RVE8 once and loved it.  If I ever spend money on a tenor, it'd be that bell with T25 slide.  Play huge or light and crisp; very malleable.
ttf_Malec Heermans

Post by ttf_Malec Heermans »

I play an 8 inch 7GM on my .525 and I find it to be closer to a Bach sound than the 2RVE. It's a great bell, but the 2RVE is pretty magical.
ttf_sterb225

Post by ttf_sterb225 »

I have a fantastic 36G LT and know exactly what you are talking about.  I owned a 2RVE8 with a narrow .525 all nickel slide that could be played to match the feel of the Bach.  I just tried out a another shires for a few weeks that was 2RVE8 with a wide all nickel .525 slide and an axial valve.  This horn plays even fatter than the 36 - maybe too much like an 88H - lacking the 'snap' that the Bach LT slide and G bell combo has.  For band and pit playing the 36 is still my all time fave.

ttf_TNTBONE

Post by ttf_TNTBONE »

Great feedback--thanks. There is something special about a good Bach 36G.. Sounds like I will be looking for either a 7GM or a 2RVE8..

Anyone know of one for sale??
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: TNTBONE on May 27, 2017, 03:55PMGreat feedback--thanks. There is something special about a good Bach 36G.. Sounds like I will be looking for either a 7GM or a 2RVE8..

Anyone know of one for sale??

If I did I'd buy it   Image (been looking for one for awhile!)
ttf_John McKevitt

Post by ttf_John McKevitt »

I have a 2RVE 8 which is great. I use it with my 508/525 slide mostly in Big Band and Commercial Applications. B4 that I had a 1YLW 8 in silver plate. Both are Massachusetts Bells. Maybe you should see if Shires is making any of the VNY bells in 8". I recently picked up a T ll 5YM bell. Not VNY but alot of similar qualities. I have a Bll 7gm 10 on my Bass and played a friends  7glw, both were incredibly resonant
/vibrant bells. I would like to find a 7GM  for my Tenor.
Good Luck, John
ttf_Malec Heermans

Post by ttf_Malec Heermans »

One thing I'll add is that when I was looking for a new .525 I reached out to Ben Griffin and told him I was looking to build the ultimate Bach 36. He recommended that I look for a good 36. In other words, you can get a Shires set up that is more Bach like or less so, but it will always have the character of a Shires horn. If you really want that Bach thing, you should source a great Bach. Sometimes easier said than done.

That said my Shires outplays every other instrument I have ever tried.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

Quote from: Malec Heermans on Yesterday at 08:18 AMOne thing I'll add is that when I was looking for a new .525 I reached out to Ben Griffin and told him I was looking to build the ultimate Bach 36. He recommended that I look for a good 36. In other words, you can get a Shires set up that is more Bach like or less so, but it will always have the character of a Shires horn. If you really want that Bach thing, you should source a great Bach. Sometimes easier said than done.

There's a lot of truth to this.

If you want a Shires though, go for it! The best way is simply to visit the factory with as clear an idea for how you want the horn to sound and feel as possible and put yourself in Ben's hands. Don't worry about the details - not even the bell diameter. .525 bore with an 8-1/2" bell is not unheard of (and neither is .547 with an 9" bell). It's not just about the bell...the tuning slide, for example, makes a big difference in how the horn feeds back to you and sounds on the other side. The Shires X tuning slide does a lot to make it feel more familiar to Bach players.

Have fun!
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I tried to go the Shires route at one point. Wanted to recreate a 79h. Started with a 525 bore and 8" bell. In the end we wound up with a beautiful little 88h. Shires specs don't run like other manufacturers. To recreate the light and lively 79h in Shires components, I would have had to move to a 508 bore and 7.75" bell (MD plus territory). I'd recommend bringing a baseline horn with you just as reference. Don't go in married to specific specs.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

MD+ with an F attachment would be a fun little horn. Perhaps not even "little" Image  One of these days when I'm rich and famous...  Just played one of the MD(not plus) over the weekend and boy is that a fun horn to play.  Very tempted to sell my current small bore Shires and try to get enough funds to pick one up.  It definitely has some weight to the sound but the horn itself doesn't feel heavy at all to play.  Heavy perhaps not being the best term to describe how it sounds.  Maybe dense is better. In the right section, I could see it working to be perfectly honest.  Symphony Fantastique really sang on it, high Eb popped out very easily on it as well.

ttf_TNTBONE

Post by ttf_TNTBONE »

I agree with Gabe in that there is truth in the statement that if you want it to sound like a Bach--get a Bach,. I have what I consider a very good 36G convertible bell fitted with Bach Artisan hardware. I have been using it with a Shires .525 nickel slide and it is a very special combo. The fit between slide tenon and bell receiver has become a nuisance (loose). My first plan is to mod the Bach bell with Shires components. Interestingly though, the OD of the bell is wider that the ID of the Shires tuning slide receiver. I am going to see what a tech can do to make it fit. My large tenor is the Shires Chicago with a dual bore rotor, so if the 36 conversion works, it could be an interesting combo with the rotor

Quote from: Malec Heermans on Yesterday at 08:18 AMOne thing I'll add is that when I was looking for a new .525 I reached out to Ben Griffin and told him I was looking to build the ultimate Bach 36. He recommended that I look for a good 36. In other words, you can get a Shires set up that is more Bach like or less so, but it will always have the character of a Shires horn. If you really want that Bach thing, you should source a great Bach. Sometimes easier said than done.

ttf_modelerdc

Post by ttf_modelerdc »

I have a Vintage New York, with the bell made on the TII mandrel. It's much more Bach like than the other Shires bells. It works well with a .525 bore slide. I don't know if Shires makes this bell with an eight inch diameter. But I can tell you if you like the Bach sound, and want something like this in the Shires the Vintage New York or Chicago bells with the X tuning side are the way to go! The 2RVE bells are much more Conn like, ones with solder beads, such as the 1G, or 7Y can be thought of as in between Conn and Bach. On the other hand, if the Bach is really what you want, just buy the Bach. I like my Vintage New York better than any Bach I've had, and I like my Vintage Elkhart better than any Conn I've had, but neither is exactly like a Bach or Conn, but like a Shires!
ttf_modelerdc

Post by ttf_modelerdc »

I have a Vintage New York, with the bell made on the TII mandrel. It's much more Bach like than the other Shires bells. It works well with a .525 bore slide. I don't know if Shires makes this bell with an eight inch diameter. But I can tell you if you like the Bach sound, and want something like this in the Shires the Vintage New York or Chicago bells with the X tuning side are the way to go! The 2RVE bells are much more Conn like, ones with solder beads, such as the 1G, or 7Y can be thought of as in between Conn and Bach. On the other hand, if the Bach is really what you want, just buy the Bach. I like my Vintage New York better than any Bach I've had, and I like my Vintage Elkhart better than any Conn I've had, but neither is exactly like a Bach or Conn, but like a Shires!

Return to “Instruments”