72h clone?

ttf_bonesmarsh

72h clone?

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Yes, EXACTLY. Right down to the thumb lever being a clone of the perfect Conn lever that requires no ergo-devices to hold comfortably.

The poor man's copy is the obsolete Yamaha 322, 321. Not a long handslide like the Conn on the Yamaha 1970s models...but close.

ttf_John the Theologian

72h clone?

Post by ttf_John the Theologian »

This horn has been listed on ebay for many weeks.  From the description and pics of its condition I think it's overpriced.

If he ever comes down, I think I might be interested because I'd like a single trigger bass in the Conn tradition.
ttf_hassein

72h clone?

Post by ttf_hassein »

If you want the real thing, I have a 1960 72H in amazing condition that I'll let go for $1100.00
ttf_greenbean

72h clone?

Post by ttf_greenbean »

These Miraphones generally sell for about $500.  In fact, the seller of this one bought this one on eBay for $500.  He thought it was undervalued.  He was wrong.
ttf_John the Theologian

72h clone?

Post by ttf_John the Theologian »

Quote from: hassein on Yesterday at 07:17 AMIf you want the real thing, I have a 1960 72H in amazing condition that I'll let go for $1100.00

Would love to have the "real thing," but it's out of my price range. The usual price that greenbean suggested would be at the top of my workable price range and I know that I'll never get a real Conn for that price.
ttf_bonesmarsh

72h clone?

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Never lose sleep about missing a single valve Conn. The newest one available now is a minimum of 40 years old. Likely 60. That's 40 to 60 years of use on one moving part.

Find a single valve you can afford that is in serviceable condition from any maker, and cherish it....let the super expensive old Conns fall into the hands of collectors, or those with large bank accounts and good relations with their repair shops.

Even great old Conns all have "Conn wear" on slides. Like anything vintage, you have to put up with the trouble until you get mad enough to spring for a new single valve and pay the $$$$$.
ttf_blast

72h clone?

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: bonesmarsh on Yesterday at 04:43 PMNever lose sleep about missing a single valve Conn. The newest one available now is a minimum of 40 years old. Likely 60. That's 40 to 60 years of use on one moving part.

Find a single valve you can afford that is in serviceable condition from any maker, and cherish it....let the super expensive old Conns fall into the hands of collectors, or those with large bank accounts and good relations with their repair shops.

Even great old Conns all have "Conn wear" on slides. Like anything vintage, you have to put up with the trouble until you get mad enough to spring for a new single valve and pay the $$$$$.

There are still hardly used old Comms coming out of attics after a distant couple of years use. I had a 71H like that and I have a fantastic condition 60H sitting next to me at work. I know Don well and if he says this 72H is amazing it will be. You have to be prepared to pay for the good stuff though.

Chris Stearn
ttf_blast

72h clone?

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: bonesmarsh on Yesterday at 04:43 PMNever lose sleep about missing a single valve Conn. The newest one available now is a minimum of 40 years old. Likely 60. That's 40 to 60 years of use on one moving part.

There are still hardly used old Comms coming out of attics after a distant couple of years use. I had a 71H like that and I have a fantastic condition 60H sitting next to me at work. I know Don well and if he says this 72H is amazing it will be. You have to be prepared to pay for the good stuff though.

Chris Stearn

Return to “Instruments”