Comments on short clip

ttf_tbathras

Comments on short clip

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Now, I consider myself an amateur player - I do my best to play what's on the page, so this is a bit out of my comfort zone; this is a little snippet of "My Way" from the MMO book "Unsung Hero" that I've tried to not play precisely what's on the page, but interpret it a bit.  Contemporary wind band/wind symphony music is more what I'm accustomed to playing and seem to do pretty well with that.

I keep hearing about bass trombonists with "no core" and "a big hole" in their sound.  I'd like to not be part of that statistic, but I'm not totally sure if I fall into that category or not - my ears can deceive me.

Only editing I did was to add some reverb so it matched the background better. It's pretty "raw" otherwise.

Comments? Suggestions? (on anything - articulation, sound, etc) I'm just going for "pleasurable to listen to", not any level of virtuosity here.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/v/DAjbVm5xdA8
ttf_Geezerhorn

Comments on short clip

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: tbathras on May 30, 2017, 11:26AM I'm just going for "pleasurable to listen to"

I would say you have achieved your goal. My only input would be to slightly adjust your gain to put you a tad more forward.

Your quartet work sounds like fun! Image

...Geezer
ttf_tbathras

Comments on short clip

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on May 30, 2017, 11:46AMI would say you have achieved your goal. My only input would be to slightly adjust your gain to put you a tad more forward.

Your quartet work sounds like fun! Image

...Geezer

Thanks!  I like to hide the in the back row  Image

I forgot about those quartet recodings... those are from a few years ago.  Yeah, we get together, drink beer and play. In that order  Image

On a side note, in those I was a playing on an old Reynolds single plug bass.  Fun horn, but not my cup of tea.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Comments on short clip

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: tbathras on May 30, 2017, 01:00PMThanks!  I like to hide the in the back row  Image

I forgot about those quartet recodings... those are from a few years ago.  Yeah, we get together, drink beer and play. In that order  Image

On a side note, in those I was a playing on an old Reynolds single plug bass.  Fun horn, but not my cup of tea.

Lol. You can come out now.

I think you have a great "honest" sound in that what we hear is how you actually sound. In other words, I don't think you are "doctoring" your sound up after it is recorded, other than maybe adjusting the gain and the reverb on the recording in general. Bravo.

I am envious of your little group.  Image

...Geezer
ttf_tbathras

Comments on short clip

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on May 30, 2017, 01:12PMLol. You can come out now.

I think you have a great "honest" sound in that what we hear is how you actually sound. In other words, I don't think you are "doctoring" your sound up after it is recorded, other than maybe adjusting the gain and the reverb on the recording in general. Bravo.

I am envious of your little group.  Image

...Geezer

Thanks!  Yeah, I don't have a reputation to uphold and I'm not trying to sell anything, so why doctor it up?

The quartet is fun, but we don't get together nearly enough - only about 8 or 10 times a year. 
ttf_Doug Elliott

Comments on short clip

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Spend some quality time with a tuner.  You notes below low C are often a bit flat, and above C they're often a bit sharp.
It can take a while to retrain your ear to hear correct pitch while you're playing.  I've been there, I have a tendency to play low range on the low side and high range on the high side too.
ttf_tbathras

Comments on short clip

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Thanks, Doug - will do.

(Also, thanks to your embouchure tips I can do those GR-style pedal grace notes, a far cry from his, but fun to try!)
ttf_tbathras

Comments on short clip

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on May 30, 2017, 07:28PMSpend some quality time with a tuner.  ...  above C they're often a bit sharp.

I think I found one source of my issue with this.  I play along, pretty much daily, with the "Unison Remington Pattern" track from David Vining's book "Long Tone Duets" played by Ralph Sauer.  Just took my tuner to it and almost every note is a couple cents sharp (5 to 10).  To make sure it's not my computer or speakers, I went to an online drone tool and every note was dead nuts on.  I would never have thought that would have been the case.  If I play smack in tune, it sounds great with the drone and abysmal with the long tones track.

I'll be tossing that long tones track in the trash.
ttf_Burgerbob

Comments on short clip

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Is the long tones track at A=442?
ttf_tbathras

Comments on short clip

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: Burgerbob on Jun 03, 2017, 07:48AMIs the long tones track at A=442?

Maybe.  Might say in the book - a friend is borrowing the book at the moment.  I already ditched the MP3's so i can't check.  Seems odd as isn't 440 more prevalent?
ttf_Burgerbob

Comments on short clip

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Orchestras typically tune higher.
ttf_tbathras

Comments on short clip

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: Burgerbob on Jun 03, 2017, 08:25AMOrchestras typically tune higher.

That's what I thought, but didn't find a huge amount of supporting evidence on google, so I wasn't sure if my thought was correct. Would make sense since Sauer is an orchestral guy.

I don't play in string orchestra, so, setting my ear to 442 does me more harm than good.
ttf_tbathras

Comments on short clip

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: Burgerbob on Jun 03, 2017, 08:25AMOrchestras typically tune higher.

That's what I thought, but didn't find a huge amount of supporting evidence on google, so I wasn't sure if my thought was correct. Would make sense since Sauer is an orchestral guy.

I don't play in string orchestra, so, setting my ear to 442 does me more harm than good.

Return to “Practice Room”