Suggested Trombone Solo Concertos?

ttf_Quixotik

Post by ttf_Quixotik »

For MYS every year they do this competition where everyone who is in the symphony orchestra can take part in a solo competition with a piano accompaniment. The winner gets to perform his/her solo with the orchestra during the winter concert at the Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis.

I'm trying to choose a concerto, but many of them don't seem to have any strings, which I assume must be used if possible. I don't really know how it works as I have no details of it. Somehow I will need to get music that has a piano accompaniment and and orchestral accompaniment. I could do David's concertino, but I think it is a little to mainstream, or maybe I'm just tired of hearing/playing it. They will probably give us more details later because it isn't until November, but obviously I would like to start preparing now in the summer.

I don't really know much of the music available, so I was wondering what you guys think would be good to play with not only the orchestra, but also with just the piano. Most of the people in this competition have been in this program for ~5 years, so I definitely want to get a head start on it. I'm not too worried about difficulty as I have a lot of time to prepare.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I have an orchestral accompaniment of "Morceau Symphonique"

Other pieces to look at are concertos by Albrechtsberger and Wagenseil. 

Some other pieces are available through rental, but they are going to be expensive.  We spent $400 for parts for a concerto (non-trombone) one year.

Note that Rimsky-Korsakov, Pryor, Clarke, etc. are BAND pieces.

You might also want to take a peek at this:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Concertpiece_for_Trombone%2C_Op.28_(Warnecke%2C_Max)
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Usually orchestral parts are rental only. But sometimes not:

http://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/trombone/tenor_trombone/solos_with_orchestra.php
ttf_Quixotik

Post by ttf_Quixotik »

I don't think I will have to worry about getting the orchestral accompaniment yet, as long as it exists. I just need to be able to get the piano accompaniment. MYS might just pay for it, making that the prize for winning.
ttf_conn88plyr

Post by ttf_conn88plyr »

A couple of pieces I might suggest are the Larsson Concerto and the Grondahl Concerto.  They are challenging but not aggressively so and the orchestra parts are interesting but not over the top.  As we are in the Twin Cities I am familiar with MYS and think these could be good fits.  If you would like to take a look at these sometime feel free to stop up to the shop...
ttf_wkimball

Post by ttf_wkimball »

I would second the Larsson Concertino. Through the years I've had several students win college concerto competitions on that piece. I'm not nuts about the Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto, but it might bear mentioning that, although it was originally written for band accompaniment, there's an orchestral arrangement available. I had a high school student perform it a few months ago with orchestra. I've had other students win college concerto competitions on David Concertino, Bourgeois Concerto, Ewazen Concerto (bass), and Albrechtsberger Concerto (alto). They are all available for both piano accompaniment (reduction) and orchestra accompaniment. Concertos by Tomasi, Gordon Jacob, and Grondahl are also standard repertoire.
ttf_wkimball

Post by ttf_wkimball »

I would second the Larsson Concertino. Through the years I've had several students win college concerto competitions on that piece. I'm not nuts about the Rimsky-Korsakov Concerto, but it might bear mentioning that, although it was originally written for band accompaniment, there's an orchestral arrangement available. I had a high school student perform it a few months ago with orchestra. I've had other students win college concerto competitions on David Concertino, Bourgeois Concerto, Ewazen Concerto (bass), and Albrechtsberger Concerto (alto). They are all available for both piano accompaniment (reduction) and orchestra accompaniment. Concertos by Tomasi, Gordon Jacob, and Grondahl are also standard repertoire.

Return to “Performance”