First Chair After One Year

ttf_stealthheartocarinaZ

Post by ttf_stealthheartocarinaZ »

I can't believe it. I've been playing the trombone for almost a year now, and by the time classes start up again, I am now the first chair of the trombones in the jazz band. I'm a little nervous about getting all of the solos, but I'm excited at the same time!

Also, if this other guy refuses, then I'm the next choice for section leader in marching band. So...I guess I've improved then?  Image
ttf_trb420

Post by ttf_trb420 »

Congrats! It's a gratifying feeling to make tangible progress like that
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Definitely congrats!  Especially for one year!  Hope things go well for you this coming year and your journey on the trombone! Image
ttf_crazytrombonist505

Post by ttf_crazytrombonist505 »

Quote from: trb420 on Jun 26, 2017, 08:23PMCongrats! It's a gratifying feeling to make tangible progress like that

+1  Image
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Sweet!! I remember when I first got moved from the "freshman" band to the higher level symphonic band in high school when I was a sophomore.. Unfortunately my reading was AWFUL, but I just hung myself on and tried my best to make myself look and sound as good as possible xD I was able to score the principal and lead chairs in the subsequent years.

Have fun, don't stress too much and just use the opportunity to learn as much as you can, get as good as possible, and network, network, network!  Image Image
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

Congrats, but don't get a big head. Being 1st chair of a Jr. High or HS group only means you beat 4 or 5 other people who may or may not care about practicing. Pat yourself on the back, then go back to practicing and see if you can get first chair of your county, region, or All-State band.

I do remember getting excited when I got 1st chair for the 1st time in my Jr. High band. Me and this other guy kept going back and forth the whole year over it. Then the next year, he quit band and went on to become a really good HS basketball player. Guess who got the girls? (hint - not the trombone player).

ttf_stealthheartocarinaZ

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Jun 28, 2017, 03:22PMCongrats, but don't get a big head. Being 1st chair of a Jr. High or HS group only means you beat 4 or 5 other people who may or may not care about practicing. Pat yourself on the back, then go back to practicing and see if you can get first chair of your county, region, or All-State band.

I do remember getting excited when I got 1st chair for the 1st time in my Jr. High band. Me and this other guy kept going back and forth the whole year over it. Then the next year, he quit band and went on to become a really good HS basketball player. Guess who got the girls? (hint - not the trombone player).

Nah, you're a musician! We get dibs on the good ones.  Image
ttf_stealthheartocarinaZ

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Jun 28, 2017, 03:22PMCongrats, but don't get a big head. Being 1st chair of a Jr. High or HS group only means you beat 4 or 5 other people who may or may not care about practicing. Pat yourself on the back, then go back to practicing and see if you can get first chair of your county, region, or All-State band.

Nah, you're a musician! We get dibs on the good ones.  Image

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”