Chart Numbering Systems

ttf_bobroden

Chart Numbering Systems

Post by ttf_bobroden »

Is there a particular system out there for organizing charts for jazz groups?

I know that big bands often have their charts numbered, and tunes are called by numbers rather than titles, but is there a system of organization underneath that?  Are charts just numbered sequentially as they are added to the book, or are they grouped by categories in some way?

In other words, what's the typical method for handling this task?  Is it written down somewhere?

I'm assembling charts for a five-piece group, but I think organizationally it's the same challenge.
ttf_BGuttman

Chart Numbering Systems

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I've never seen a real system codified.  Figure one out for yourself.

I've seen some groups adding V to a number for a vocal.

Some groups keep alphabetical by title.

One group used a numerical code to indicate type of tune, like:

100 Slow Dance Numbers
200 Fast Dance Numbers
300 Latin
400 Other Ethnic
500 Show (not for dancing)
600 Male Vocals
700 Female Vocals

Feel free to change my suggestion to suit your needs.  If you have a lot of charts, you may need 4 digit numbers.

When you are the boss, you make the rules.
ttf_gregs70

Chart Numbering Systems

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

The only one that is a no-brainer is "720 In The Books"  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Chart Numbering Systems

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: gregs70 on Yesterday at 06:22 PMThe only one that is a no-brainer is "720 In The Books"  Image

And it has a different number in each Big Band I play in Image Image
ttf_afugate

Chart Numbering Systems

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: BGuttman on Yesterday at 06:43 PMAnd it has a different number in each Big Band I play in Image Image

Yes....  Image Image

--Andy in OKC
ttf_Matt K

Chart Numbering Systems

Post by ttf_Matt K »

The bands I'm currently in just do sequential as they are added.

When I was a librarian, I would do a similar system, but I'd add a letter to the front of every number.  The letter would be similar to what Bruce mentioned for sorting purposes.  The reason I did this is the library was for many types of ensembles and it was useful to have them sorted in that capacity.  Then I used various numbers to denote types of music.  So from 100-400 would be ballads, 400-800 would be swing charts, etc.  I put dividers in the books so it was easy to see where the demarcation was and where the sorting would occur within the books. It worked well. If we would have had smaller books then it wouldn't have been necessary to do it tha tway. 
ttf_Stewbones43

Chart Numbering Systems

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

In my experience the idea of a system to sort out the music and have it in a neatly filed set up can be a total waste of time because there is always someone whose pad is totally chaotic.

My 2 "best" experiences were a student who would start the rehearsal with his music in a neat pile under his chair; by the 3rd or 4th number it was spread all around him in a random heap. Another guy had a pad which was so disorganised and differently disorganised each week that the standard joke was that he arranged his music in order of the starting note of the number; Ab first, then A then A#; then Bb, B and B# and so on.

The other thing I have noticed is that when there is a system such as an alphabetical one for the title, problems occur when the number has a long title such as "Do You Know The Way To San Jose?" which should be filed under "D" but is often found under "W" for "The Way To San Jose" or "S" for "San Jose".

We have to try something and I will watch the responses with interest.

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_RMTrombone

Chart Numbering Systems

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

One of the worst is "Paper Moon". Our bandleader puts it on the playlist as "Paper Moon", our (hard working) Librarian files it under Itsonlyapapermoon for computer filing! (About 400 charts)
ttf_RMTrombone

Chart Numbering Systems

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

The best system I've used is "B-10" where B is the first significant letter of the title and 10 is the file number. Quickest way to pick and re-file charts. No one shows-up at the gig with the wrong arrangement. If a chart is misfiled you have a good folder to start looking in (significant letter).

In this system I  kept: 
  • [li]a "next gig" file[/li][li]a file with the opener, closer, "Happy Birthday" and "Anniversary Waltz"[/li][li]a vocals file (for quick finding when the vocalists rehearsed)[/li][li]a list of solos, features, and tunes I wanted to work-on[/li][li]Christmas/Holiday music goes in it own file, bandleader kept it off-season[/li]

ttf_baileyman

Chart Numbering Systems

Post by ttf_baileyman »

For my Pell-style octet we file the originals as written, but with different hundreds for each contributor.  So three guys have been writing for the band, 500s, 700s, 800s.  The root Dave Pell charts I have attempted to organize by original LP issue.  So the Craziest Dream record is in the 80s.  It's fun to play an entire record in sequence that way.  But then the younger guys say, come on, let's play some Horace.  And we move on. 

ttf_Pre59

Chart Numbering Systems

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: gregs70 on Jun 30, 2017, 06:22PMThe only one that is a no-brainer is "720 In The Books"  Image

Number 69 has been the same in quite a few pads...   Image
ttf_Graham Martin

Chart Numbering Systems

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

I keep all band files in alphabetical order and have done for the last 60 years. Several times I have tried number systems but they never work.

The secret is for the leader to have a proper master record in alphabetical order using a spreadsheet with columns of your choice. e.g. Tempo, Style, Vocal, arranger, featured instrument etc. - whatever is important in your genre of music. This way he can easily make up a gig list.

Then I make up a folder for each instrument. My arrangements are all A4 size and the folder is a ring binder. I have charts for five small bands and one big band that I have organised in this fashion. I keep the folders up-to-date myself. 

When it is necessary for band members to take parts home for practice, I hand out new arrangements at rehearsal and the musician places the part in his folder in alphabetical order - Strict alphabetical order, the way a computer would list! I police the files strongly!!!
ttf_Graham Martin

Chart Numbering Systems

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

I keep all band files in alphabetical order and have done for the last 60 years. Several times I have tried number systems but they never work.

The secret is for the leader to have a proper master record in alphabetical order using a spreadsheet with columns of your choice. e.g. Tempo, Style, Vocal, arranger, featured instrument etc. - whatever is important in your genre of music. This way he can easily make up a gig list.

Then I make up a folder for each instrument. My arrangements are all A4 size and the folder is a ring binder. I have charts for five small bands and one big band that I have organised in this fashion. I keep the folders up-to-date myself. 

When it is necessary for band members to take parts home for practice, I hand out new arrangements at rehearsal and the musician places the part in his folder in alphabetical order - Strict alphabetical order, the way a computer would list! I police the files strongly!!!

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”