Ready for Lessons Again

ttf_sterb225

Ready for Lessons Again

Post by ttf_sterb225 »

Weekend warrior 20+ years separated from undergrad here.  Tenor player by nature that has been casually doubling on bass for about 7 years.

I have been self diagnosing/teaching myself for since 1991. About 15 years ago I turned my symphonic embouchure inside out in favor of a more colorful and flexible sound that didn't require as much time behind the horn and was better suited to the big band, pit and quintet playing that dominated my free time.  Now I'm older and have settled into the comfort of a lasting symphonic seat in a fine local community orchestra.  I find that I am ready to go back to my roots and want to both add meat back to my sound and improve on the upper registers before I venture forth into some much more skilled/demanding symphony opportunities.   

Having said all of that, in my former life I went out of my way to study with guys that were going to work every day at Lincoln Center ... because that was where I thought I could be.  Now at 47 years old, where do I start to look for a teacher?  The guys that work there now seem so unapproachable to me, with their myriad teaching and gigging responsibilities and given that I am no longer a 'promising youth' assume that I will not capture their interest.  So I am stuck ... where do I start here in Metro NY to find a teacher that can advance my skills and will understand my goals?

I know that Doug is an option via Skype - but am really looking first to find someone local.

Thanks in advance to all.

Bill

ttf_Geordie

Ready for Lessons Again

Post by ttf_Geordie »

I started lessons/coaching aged 44 with a a player from a leading orchestra. My two take always from the process are:  teachers consider student motivation, commitment and progress more relevant and rewarding than student age;  if you don't ask you don't get - they may appear busy but could have capacity or be facing future changes that provide capacity. I found it money well spent.
ttf_sabutin

Ready for Lessons Again

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: sterb225 on Jul 03, 2017, 05:36PMWeekend warrior 20+ years separated from undergrad here.  Tenor player by nature that has been casually doubling on bass for about 7 years.

I have been self diagnosing/teaching myself for since 1991. About 15 years ago I turned my symphonic embouchure inside out in favor of a more colorful and flexible sound that didn't require as much time behind the horn and was better suited to the big band, pit and quintet playing that dominated my free time.  Now I'm older and have settled into the comfort of a lasting symphonic seat in a fine local community orchestra.  I find that I am ready to go back to my roots and want to both add meat back to my sound and improve on the upper registers before I venture forth into some much more skilled/demanding symphony opportunities.   

Having said all of that, in my former life I went out of my way to study with guys that were going to work every day at Lincoln Center ... because that was where I thought I could be.  Now at 47 years old, where do I start to look for a teacher?  The guys that work there now seem so unapproachable to me, with their myriad teaching and gigging responsibilities and given that I am no longer a 'promising youth' assume that I will not capture their interest.  So I am stuck ... where do I start here in Metro NY to find a teacher that can advance my skills and will understand my goals?

I know that Doug is an option via Skype - but am really looking first to find someone local.

Thanks in advance to all.

Bill
I'm in the Bronx. Good parking, good public transportaion, good neighborhood, good teacher. Check out my website for more. Give me a holler. ([url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url])

S.
ttf_sterb225

Ready for Lessons Again

Post by ttf_sterb225 »

So after some gyrations and scheduling false starts I finally took a lesson last night.  Without a doubt, this is the best couple of hours I have spent in many, many years with respect to playing.  It's so easy to loose focus on humble fundamentals when pushing for technique and range so much of the time.  In a very short amount of time we were able to identify several small, easily added routines to my currently limited practice time that will undoubtedly yield some tremendous results.  90% of this is half mental ... these little adjustments will make some of my other challenges easier to conquer.  If you have been on the fence about studying again ... get down and do it.  Worth every penny and every second of time spent. 
ttf_sf105

Ready for Lessons Again

Post by ttf_sf105 »

Started taking lessons again a little while ago after <redacted> years. A couple with Doug, and a couple with local people. Should have done it years ago. Now all I need is the time to spend on implementing what they told me.
ttf_Torobone

Ready for Lessons Again

Post by ttf_Torobone »

I started taking lessons again about 8 years ago, just after I started to figure out a couple of things on my own. I never took a break from playing, but in pre-retirement I started playing more.

A few observations:

1. Find a teacher that works for you. Some teachers look forward to working with an older enthusiast, while other teachers still expect you to prepare weekly Rochut. If you are like me, you just need to be pointed in the right direction from time to time. I take about 2-3 lessons per year. Look around for the best teacher for you.

2. Go for the best teacher. Even the top professionals have time to teach a few students, and they might enjoy an occasional lesson rather than a weekly commitment.

3. I don't mind taking a lesson or two with anybody who might be able to help me, but I have been lucky to find a teacher who I've seen now for 7 years. He knows me and can offer suggestions based on where I've reached. With his retirement from Humber College to cottage country, I'll have to figure out how to get together with him.

4. I keep in touch with most people I've taken a lesson with. Not to be overly critical, but I find that many teachers have a "hot button" and that can dominate the lesson. Examples are David Vining's breathing studies and  Audacity to measure the relative intensity of notes. Yes, I learned about these things, and they are helpful, but it didn't lead me to rushing back for the next lesson.

I hope this helps.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Ready for Lessons Again

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Torobone on Aug 27, 2017, 06:26AMI started taking lessons again about 8 years ago, just after I started to figure out a couple of things on my own. I ever took a break from playing, but in pre-retirement I started playing more.

A few observations:

1. Find a teacher that works for you. Some teachers look forward to working with an older enthusiast, while other teachers still expect you to prepare weekly Rochut. If you are like me, you just need to be pointed in the right direction from time to time. I take about 2-3 lessons per year. Look around for the best teacher for you.

2. Go for the best teacher. Even the top professionals have time to teach a few students, and they might enjoy an occasional lesson rather than a weekly commitment.

3. I don't mind taking a lesson or two with anybody who might be able to help me, but I have been lucky to find a teacher who I've seen now for 7 years. He knows me and can offer suggestions based on where I've reached. With his retirement from Humber College to cottage country, I'll have to figure out how to get together with him.

4. I keep in touch with most people I've taken a lesson with. Not to be overly critical, but I find that many teachers have a "hot button" and that can dominate the lesson. Examples are David Vining's breathing studies and  Audacity to measure the relative intensity of notes. Yes, I learned about these things, and they are helpful, but it didn't lead me to rushing back for the next lesson.

I hope this helps.

As an adult (elderly) student, I agree with everything you have posted. I have a terrific instructor.

...Geezer
ttf_Geezerhorn

Ready for Lessons Again

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Torobone on Aug 27, 2017, 06:26AMI started taking lessons again about 8 years ago, just after I started to figure out a couple of things on my own. I ever took a break from playing, but in pre-retirement I started playing more.

A few observations:

I hope this helps.

As an adult (elderly) student, I agree with everything you have posted. I have a terrific instructor.

...Geezer

Return to “Practice Room”