Recipes

ttf_slide advantage

Recipes

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

I have been getting into cooking lately. After my wife and I spent a week in Key West, I really began to have a better appreciation of Key Lime Pie. It has always been a favorite, but more so now.

I looked up several recipes, chose one and I adapted it for my own with a couple of modifications.

I call this Key Lime/Pineapple Pie. Try it. If you make one and you like it, let me know!

Filling
4 egg yolks
One 8 oz can of condensed sweetened milk
3/4 cup of juice (equal parts key lime and pineapple)
Graham Cracker crust (store bought or make your own)
Appr. 1 ½ tbs Lime zest (finely flaked. Make sure that it is all green. The white part of the peel is bitter)

Topping
1 cup heavy mixing cream
1 tbsp sugar
Lime zest

Directions
Stir egg yolks into condensed milk until well blended. Add juice. Stir for a few minutes until it is thickened. (Option: add a splash of heavy cream, but not too much that the filling gets too thick). Stir in most of the lime zest, saving some for the topping.

Pour mixture into Graham Cracker crust. Put in preheated oven at 350 for 10 minutes. Set out to cool while preparing topping.

Blend heavy cream and the sugar until it starts to thicken and has stiff peaks. Spoon topping onto cooled pie. Optional: sprinkle the remaining lime zest on top.

If you like the filling to be less firm, use only 3 egg yolks and no added cream.

ttf_slide advantage

Recipes

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

I have been getting into cooking lately. After my wife and I spent a week in Key West, I really began to have a better appreciation of Key Lime Pie. It has always been a favorite, but more so now.

I looked up several recipes, chose one and I adapted it for my own with a couple of modifications.

I call this Key Lime/Pineapple Pie. Try it. If you make one and you like it, let me know!

Filling
4 egg yolks
One 8 oz can of condensed sweetened milk
3/4 cup of juice (equal parts key lime and pineapple)
Graham Cracker crust (store bought or make your own)
Appr. 1 ½ tbs Lime zest (finely flaked. Make sure that it is all green. The white part of the peel is bitter)

Topping
1 cup heavy mixing cream
1 tbsp sugar
Lime zest

Directions
Stir egg yolks into condensed milk until well blended. Add juice. Stir for a few minutes until it is thickened. (Option: add a splash of heavy cream, but not too much that the filling gets too thick). Stir in most of the lime zest, saving some for the topping.

Pour mixture into Graham Cracker crust. Put in preheated oven at 350 for 10 minutes. Set out to cool while preparing topping.

Blend heavy cream and the sugar until it starts to thicken and has stiff peaks. Spoon topping onto cooled pie. Optional: sprinkle the remaining lime zest on top.

If you like the filling to be less firm, use only 3 egg yolks and no added cream.

Return to “Chit-Chat”