Modifying 1950s 8h slide

ttf_BostonChops

Modifying 1950s 8h slide

Post by ttf_BostonChops »

I'm considering modifying an old 8h slide a little - removing the springs and adding a slide lock. Any reason to leave these as is? I'm also wondering if I could have the receiver reamed out to take a more taper mouthpiece, although I'm also wondering about having it pulled.
ttf_Blowero

Modifying 1950s 8h slide

Post by ttf_Blowero »

A tech can easily remove the springs and put felts in instead. For the slide lock, they would need to replace the upper cork barrel with one that has the lock ring, and solder the little lug piece on to the slide tube. It should be a pretty easy modification.

You can't ream out the receiver. To make a morse taper mouthpiece fit, you would need to pull the leadpipe and replace it with one that has a morse taper. If you take it to someone who knows what he's doing, it shouldn't be a problem to remove the leadpipe. Some members here will try to convince you that you should invest in a set of mouthpieces that have have interchangeable morse/remington taper shanks rather than pull your leadpipe, but in my opinion it's going to be cheaper just to have the leadpipe pulled.
ttf_BostonChops

Modifying 1950s 8h slide

Thanks Brad, I actually have one of your seamed copper mv42s on order. I'm currently playing it with a slide from a late gen 1 88h, as there's also a shank adapter welded in to the receiver with a few decades of verdigris... Replacing the upper cork barrel sounds like a decent idea at some point, as I'd much prefer to have a threaded leadpipe.

Regarding the mouthpiece question, I currently play on 3 different Morse taper pieces in a B&S receiver. Buying several new items with custom shanks, or having them modded at $100 each seems silly.
ttf_Blowero

Modifying 1950s 8h slide

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Quote from: BostonChops on Jul 08, 2017, 02:48PMThanks Brad, I actually have one of your seamed copper mv42s on order. I'm currently playing it with a slide from a late gen 1 88h, as there's also a shank adapter welded in to the receiver with a few decades of verdigris... Replacing the upper cork barrel sounds like a decent idea at some point, as I'd much prefer to have a threaded leadpipe.

Oh, O.K. - The adaptor changes the receiver from Remington to what? I'd have to see it to understand if that's something that could be reamed out, but if you want to put a threaded receiver on there you might as well just have the whole mess taken apart and re-done. The receivers that Conn makes now are one piece where the receiver and cork barrel are machined out of a solid piece of metal. You can also get threaded receivers from Mike Olsen, including his dual-thread type that can accept different brands of leadpipes.
ttf_BostonChops

Modifying 1950s 8h slide

Sorry, not clear on my part. The adapter is, at a guess, Morse to small. Having said that, none of my small shank pieces fits well, and the piece that came with it was an old schilke that looks to be in the 12c range. That piece also does not fit well in to the adapter... Maybe Euro or something weird? Anyway, I'm having that pulled shortly when I will get a check clean and slide job. I find that a Morse shank in a B&S receiver works well enough to use, but not well enough not to annoy me.

ttf_Blowero

Modifying 1950s 8h slide

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Oh, yeah - get that thing out of there. Hope it didn't mess up the leadpipe.
ttf_Blowero

Modifying 1950s 8h slide

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Oh, yeah - get that thing out of there. Hope it didn't mess up the leadpipe.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”