Wipe-on Silver Finish

ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Wipe-on Silver Finish

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Has anyone here used and can recommend a good brand of wipe-on silver?

This is solely for covering some raw brass neckpipes and nickel cork barrels. Nothing aesthetic, just an alternative to buying a few leather guards.

I may try touching up an ancient mouthpiece if it proves to be durable and applies smoothly.
ttf_BGuttman

Wipe-on Silver Finish

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Wipe-on silver is like gold wssh.  It's a simple replacement reaction replacing the copper in the alloy with silver.  It puts on a VERY thin layer; certainly not enough to withstand any kind of handling.

If you want to cover raw brass on a part you touch you really need a paint of some sort.  Something thick enough to withstand a little handling.  There are silver colored paints with aluminum flakes in them that would work.  Some may need to be heat treated to "dry".

Or you can look into one of the brush plating systems to put actual silver or gold on the area.  My experience with brush plating is that it's tough to get the proper amperage to get actual plating without creating a burnt appearance.  If you decide you want to do this, practice a lot on scrap pieces.
ttf_BGuttman

Wipe-on Silver Finish

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Wipe-on silver is like gold wssh.  It's a simple replacement reaction replacing the copper in the alloy with silver.  It puts on a VERY thin layer; certainly not enough to withstand any kind of handling.

If you want to cover raw brass on a part you touch you really need a paint of some sort.  Something thick enough to withstand a little handling.  There are silver colored paints with aluminum flakes in them that would work.  Some may need to be heat treated to "dry".

Or you can look into one of the brush plating systems to put actual silver or gold on the area.  My experience with brush plating is that it's tough to get the proper amperage to get actual plating without creating a burnt appearance.  If you decide you want to do this, practice a lot on scrap pieces.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”